DOING A PRESENTATION IN COLLEGE ON BEARDIES!! NEED UR HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0mmy2010

Hatchling Member
Hi my name is Stephani and I have a 7 month old male red bearded dragon (first time beardie owner) and I am currently in college taking a Speech class that is requiring me to give a 10 minute speech on a topic of my choice. I have chosen to do it on bearded dragons, but I need to find a topic on bearded dragons that would be interesting to talk about. Like for instance, what point will I be trying to get across to my audience? What is the purpose of my speech? I would really like to see what you all have to say. I will also most likely bring my beardie to my presentation and make a PowerPoint as well.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Oh man! I remember doing those kinds of presentations in school. I hated them!

Maybe you could try and banish the negative view people have on BDs? Since owning Bindy, I have found many people to spawn negative comments on him. So much, that one person blocked and deleted me for standing up for him! Perhaps use it as an "educational" presentation - beardies aren't big mean, poisonous, heartless creatures, but are really like scaly dogs!

Good luck!

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
bltkpo":291ep6x8 said:
Oh man! I remember doing those kinds of presentations in school. I hated them!

Maybe you could try and banish the negative view people have on BDs? Since owning Bindy, I have found many people to spawn negative comments on him. So much, that one person blocked and deleted me for standing up for him! Perhaps use it as an "educational" presentation - beardies aren't big mean, poisonous, heartless creatures, but are really like scaly dogs!

Good luck!

better off without those people around :)

jjh1

Juvie Member
You could point out the the audience that reptiles are pets too. Just because they dont have fur purr, or bark that they dont make great pets.
You could also say that you cant get diseases from bearded dragons, that they dont normally bite, they like to snuggle,hypoallergenic.

What about also talking about how and what enviroment a bearded dragon lives in, and that it is a myth that they are in a sandy area. They live in clay. Talk about the importance if you have a bearded dragon that they like to interact with their human families enjoy watching tv being talked to, like to be taken out side on warm sunny days.

Talk about that it is WISE to do your homework before purchasing a bearded dragon or any pet for that matter. Most of all emphasize that even though I have a reptile as a pet I am not weird and if you took a chance to actually get to know that reptiles are pets to especially bearded dragons and other lizards you would fall in love with them too.

Sorry to go on for so long I gave a lesson to some people just the other day at a pet store on this very thing :)

Good luck on your presentation
Joanne

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
I agree a good topic would be on the importance of doing your homework before making a home for a beardie. All of the other ideas could then be incorporated. Good luck, maybe you could video your speech for us?! :)

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
I think the whole "reptiles aren't scary" thing people have suggested is a great idea. I actually had a customer at work ask me how I would ever find a date just because I owned reptiles. :angry5: I see many people freak out just from the information that there are snakes in the store, even though they are locked up and not visible at all. Most children are curious about reptiles and are not scared of them at all but many people instill this fear of scaley things for whatever reason. That and people think that everyone that owns reptiles is some weird guy. :roll: Seriously, if we're basing what type of person owns a pet by that minority, then everyone that owns more than one dog is some hillbilly with 10 dogs tied outside their trailer. :roll: :wink: I'm sure you'll think of something interesting to talk about since beardies have tons of cool things to mention.

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
I love that your going to talk about this topic, I think there is a way to incorporate all that has been mentioned. There is such a negative response from most people and it's normally because they have never interacted with them. I would make sure you have lots of great "friendly" pics in your powerpoint. I'm sure there are alot of people on here who would be glad to send you some, you can show that they have personalities, I for one would send you some of my guys if you need them. Good luck

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
Fuzzyviper":3k567ntk said:
That and people think that everyone that owns reptiles is some weird guy. :roll: Seriously, if we're basing what type of person owns a pet by that minority, then everyone that owns more than one dog is some hillbilly with 10 dogs tied outside their trailer. :roll: :wink: I'm sure you'll think of something interesting to talk about since beardies have tons of cool things to mention.
LOL, then I guess I need to let my husband know that I'm a weird guy, and that we live in a trailer and that I got all our dogs tied up out back, and that we are having possum stew for dinner...(we are a "normal couple...hahaha", have 5 dogs, have a great home, go to work, contribute to society) but as soon as you say you have a bearded dragon first response is EWWWWWWW gross... I love coming onto this site so I can share stories and pics of my guys with people who so DONT have that view point.

EccentricME

Hatchling Member
jjh1":3e4hytvq said:
You could point out the the audience that reptiles are pets too. Just because they dont have fur purr, or bark that they dont make great pets.
You could also say that you cant get diseases from bearded dragons, that they dont normally bite, they like to snuggle,hypoallergenic.

What about also talking about how and what enviroment a bearded dragon lives in, and that it is a myth that they are in a sandy area. They live in clay. Talk about the importance if you have a bearded dragon that they like to interact with their human families enjoy watching tv being talked to, like to be taken out side on warm sunny days.

Talk about that it is WISE to do your homework before purchasing a bearded dragon or any pet for that matter. Most of all emphasize that even though I have a reptile as a pet I am not weird and if you took a chance to actually get to know that reptiles are pets to especially bearded dragons and other lizards you would fall in love with them too.

Sorry to go on for so long I gave a lesson to some people just the other day at a pet store on this very thing :)

Good luck on your presentation
Joanne

^^I was going to suggest something like that.^^

Make sure you don't go over your time, when your passionate about something it's easy to talk and talk. When I had to do a speech like that I went way over!! My teacher said everyone seemed so engaged and she was enjoying my presentation that she didn't care.
I did mine on cloth diapers :mrgreen:

m0mmy2010

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you all SOO much for all of your wonderful insight! I am so glad i stopped in here for this! I am planning on incorporating some pictures into either a powerpoint, or an old school poster board. I would love to see some cute/funny pictures from you guys of your beardies that bring out the personality side of bearded dragons! The pictures do not necessarily have to be of your own BD. If anyone would like to volunteer pictures, please email them to [email protected] and I would gladly use them! I will definately keep everyone posted and will continue to ask questions.

Thanks Everyone! Stephani

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I got the " why would you have a lizard?", Mainly because I am a cowgirl and I am a big time barrel racer. Ok, but why is it werid I have a bearded dragon? I love my girl, just like my horse and dog, and yes I do giver her kisses and I get them back. My mom made the comment one day "One of these days she is gonna bite you when you kiss her". All I get back is a lick on my face. Its funny people say things like that but if they just spent a little time with beardies they will fall in love with them, my mom did. Every time I have her out she always wants to pet her. She says, "wheres the wissard" ok my mom is werid too.

m0mmy2010

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I announced to the class today that I was going to be doing my presentation on BD's, and my teacher's first response was, " If you bring him in, just make sure he's going to be contained." She also mentioned she has no clue what a bearded dragon is, but once I said lizard, you could see that she had already made up her mind about lizards. Well, we'll see about that damnit! lol

My main topic is : To inform my audience about the experience of owning a bearded dragon
My 3 subtopics are: 1. Advantages
- Why BD's are a good pet and ect...
2. Care
- Do your research beforehand
- Do not trust your local petstore's advice for everything, if anything
- Feeding, Bathing, and ect...
3. ???????

As you can see, I havn't come up with a third subtopic. My teacher this morning helped me formulate a plan which is above. Just trying to get a head start. This is the first week of class, and I have 3 weeks till this speech has to be performed. What I am asking of you all, is the simple task of the correct way to care for a bearded dragon and correct accurate information. I actually have 2 other girls in my class that have owned bearded dragons, ( one only made it to his second birthday and was eaten by her pet dog, and the other I havn't heard yet what the story was ), but regardless, I want to give correct information, not just my opinion, although I will throw that in there for a few things. Of course I will do my own research but I would like to get some of these answered from experienced owners.

Heres a few questions to start:
#1: Can BD's give you a disease such as salmonilla?
#2. How long has the majority of your bearded dragons lived? I have heard 10 years online, but I want to know the average of real owners.
#3. What is the best live feeder?
#4. Do you recommend petstores for anything? LOL I know their advice is horrible, but what about purchasing live feeders?

If you have any great websites and or pictures, feel free to either post them on this thread, or email them to [email protected] . I am open to all suggestions and will gladly incorporate any advice you want this class to learn into my 10 minute speech. For the one's who LOVE pictures, here's a picture of Bud the bearded dragon :) <3

BUD AT 3-4 MONTHS
268475_249572868393266_100000216646009_1139450_6727683_n-1.jpg

BUD's ENCLOSURE (has slightly changed a bit)
Buds40galltank.jpg

BUD AS A BABY
254877_229471060403447_100000216646009_1054036_4864872_n.jpg

Sorry no recent pictures, we have not uploaded anything from our camera recently :(

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I feel like you're missing an opportunity to talk about Beardie history- It's a pretty interesting "tail"

As in, they came from australia, they live in X environment, they behave as such, there are X different types of dragon, ect ect.

PetLover

Hatchling Member
As you can see, I havn't come up with a third subtopic. My teacher this morning helped me formulate a plan which is above.
A third subtopic to consider might be how bearded dragons used to be just a normal color. Then show a picture of a normal colored bearded dragon. Continue, using pictures to show the various colors and types, including leatherbacks, silkbacks etc. They'll be amazed at the variety of choices that are available. You might mention this website for those who want more information. Good luck on your presentation! I wish I could be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaStS
Top Bottom