Doesn’t want to stay inside tank

lizardqu33n

My 4 year old bearded dragon has a new habit of trying to escape his tank. He climbs over the substrate guard, and will nose the door until it is open enough to get out. He always goes to the same spot by the window. This morning I woke up and he was already there. I’m honestly impressed and it is pretty cute.

Is this a normal behavior? I work next to his tank so it’s okay if I’m supervising him, but I’m worried about him getting hurt trying to get out if I’m not around (especially if I end up taping the door shut or something while I’m not home).

He has a 120 gallon Zen Habitat enclosure with many areas to climb, hide, and bask. I know that he is not glass surfing, as there’s not a lot of reflection and he climbs out on his own if the door is open. I had a theory that he would do it whenever the tank was dirty, but he continued to do it even when it was clean.

Attachments

• BDCFEE4B-A785-4DF6-8BCE-322275B74BAB.jpeg
    BDCFEE4B-A785-4DF6-8BCE-322275B74BAB.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 119
  • FD0C1AD1-5AE4-40EF-BD5C-7E56F571AFBF.jpeg
    FD0C1AD1-5AE4-40EF-BD5C-7E56F571AFBF.jpeg
    247.4 KB · Views: 84

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 4 year old bearded dragon has a new habit of trying to escape his tank. He climbs over the substrate guard, and will nose the door until it is open enough to get out. He always goes to the same spot by the window. This morning I woke up and he was already there. I’m honestly impressed and it is pretty cute.

Is this a normal behavior? I work next to his tank so it’s okay if I’m supervising him, but I’m worried about him getting hurt trying to get out if I’m not around (especially if I end up taping the door shut or something while I’m not home).

He has a 120 gallon Zen Habitat enclosure with many areas to climb, hide, and bask. I know that he is not glass surfing, as there’s not a lot of reflection and he climbs out on his own if the door is open. I had a theory that he would do it whenever the tank was dirty, but he continued to do it even when it was clean.
Please get rid of your red bulb-- those are a hazard to your dragons eyes and cause sleep issues- he's escaping to get out of the bulb-- can you please go over your basking surface temps and uvb - you need a good solid bright white basking bulb and a good long tube uvb fixture- correctly placed and distanced in the tank

lizardqu33n

Original Poster
Please get rid of your red bulb-- those are a hazard to your dragons eyes and cause sleep issues- he's escaping to get out of the bulb-- can you please go over your basking surface temps and uvb - you need a good solid bright white basking bulb and a good long tube uvb fixture- correctly placed and distanced in the tank
Ahh good to know about the red light! I just switched to that one recently because it created more consistent heat in the right side of his tank. I’ll look into ditching the dome light as well I reckon!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ahh good to know about the red light! I just switched to that one recently because it created more consistent heat in the right side of his tank. I’ll look into ditching the dome light as well I reckon!
Your going to need a clear solid bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-100 for a adult/ juvie surface basking temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you need two in the tank-- basking bulbs like flukers Exo Terra or zoo meds repti basking bulbs- please no daytime bulbs they have a coating on them called neoydium they cause eye issues

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom