Doesn’t eat much insects all of a sudden

Bo1075

When my bearded dragon sid was in his old 36x18x18 he ate like 25-40 roaches a day. I moved him to a new 4x2x2 enclosure and he only eats maybe 10 a day, There’s a couple days he hasn’t eaten any roaches. He picks at his salad all day, mostly a rotation of collard greens, kale, and mustard greens with addons of sweet potato, yellow squash, butternut squash, and carrots in rotation. He’s been in the 4x2x2 for about 2 weeks, and he wall surfs like a lot, usually mostly when I’m in the room. My temps are basking surface 104-109 taken with heat gun. hot side low 90s cool side upper 70s low 80s. I have a 100 watt flukers basking light on a dimmer for basking light and temps, for uvb I have an arkadia 12% mounted 13.5 inches from the basking area inside the enclosure. I dust with reapshy calcium plus every insect feeding. Oh and his foot is shedding and he seams to like to go assume his sleeping position high up on the sea grass ramp sometimes 3 hours before lights out. Otherwise seams active, pooping and healthy. He’s 6 months old. Does anyone have any ideas why he isn’t eating much for insects?

Attachments

• 38F268D8-B7AF-4EDC-ACAD-A032E1120738.jpeg
    38F268D8-B7AF-4EDC-ACAD-A032E1120738.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 771396D1-CDF7-46FA-A7A1-FE19D65C7E3F.jpeg
    771396D1-CDF7-46FA-A7A1-FE19D65C7E3F.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 79
  • CCF840C9-561F-4585-AF02-6C3BE969508C.jpeg
    CCF840C9-561F-4585-AF02-6C3BE969508C.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 66

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
When my bearded dragon sid was in his old 36x18x18 he ate like 25-40 roaches a day. I moved him to a new 4x2x2 enclosure and he only eats maybe 10 a day, There’s a couple days he hasn’t eaten any roaches. He picks at his salad all day, mostly a rotation of collard greens, kale, and mustard greens with addons of sweet potato, yellow squash, butternut squash, and carrots in rotation. He’s been in the 4x2x2 for about 2 weeks, and he wall surfs like a lot, usually mostly when I’m in the room. My temps are basking surface 104-109 taken with heat gun. hot side low 90s cool side upper 70s low 80s. I have a 100 watt flukers basking light on a dimmer for basking light and temps, for uvb I have an arkadia 12% mounted 13.5 inches from the basking area inside the enclosure. I dust with reapshy calcium plus every insect feeding. Oh and his foot is shedding and he seams to like to go assume his sleeping position high up on the sea grass ramp sometimes 3 hours before lights out. Otherwise seams active, pooping and healthy. He’s 6 months old. Does anyone have any ideas why he isn’t eating much for insects?
If your uvb is on the back wall I would move it out from there so he can sit directly under it and move the rock he's sitting on to where he can sit directly under it 12-15 inches- please get 2 digital probe thermometers place one probe on the hammock where he sits for basking- IR guns are good but do not give accurate temps especially on hammocks- also I would look at lowering the surface basking temp to 95-100- are you feeding salads? 25-40 roaches is a lot- what size are you feeding?

Bo1075

Original Poster
the basking light and uvb are mounted side by side directly above the slate basking spot. the hammock is just a secondary spot, its in the low 90s on there. He bites and moves the probes all over the place so I put them on there for a while to get the temp and then remove them. I was feeding him 1/2 inch smalls, and now I'm feeding him 3/4 inch mediums maybe that's why he eats less but somedays he only eats a couple, and I know he should eat more than that. I've been getting them from dubia deli while my colony grows. Yeah I feed salads, I keep the salad in there all day. It was removed for spot cleaning in that picture.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom