Does My Rescue Have Yellow Fungus?

Kaira

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ares
Long story but I feel like its important to get all in. I got a bearded dragon from my friend who had him for about a year, she had got him from a breeder who had him for about 1 1/2 years. My friend didn’t do much research on beardies and unintentionally had the guy in pretty bad conditions. I sadly didn’t think to take any photos before I moved him. I took him in about a month ago, I’ve never kept a dragon before but I tried to do some research and based my tank on others that I’ve seen here. He’s probably about 2-3 years old and was being kept in a very unclean 30 gal glass fish tank with a pool on one end and improper lighting. She had one heat lamp and no UVB. He was extremely lethargic, dark in color, very light weight, and never wanted to eat. He also hated being held and the only time he showed energy was trying to bite or wiggle out of her grasp. She only feed him micro plants and no bugs because her apartment wouldn’t allow it.

I moved him over to his current tank, which is a 120 gal Zen tank. For lighting I have a UVB tube light, a ceramic heat light that has a temp control on it and a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp. These one stay on from 9am to 9pm before they shut off with the timer thing I have. The tank is currently in a spare bedroom that no one uses, so the only traffic is me coming in to take care of him and my cat who could care less about him.

The first week I had him, I left him alone as I heard giving them alone time after being rehomed was good. I only really came in to put some veggies in his bowl, which he rarely ate. I would let the veggies sit in there for about 20-30 minutes before going in and removing them.

After about week two, he actually started eating the veggies I gave him, I then started feeding him some Dubai roaches which he actually chased, these were coated in some calcium powder.

By week three he was eating out of my hand and look a lot lighter in color and gained some weight. He would let me hold him but really liked to crawl all over me. Never really got aggressive other than when I tried to pick him up after eating and he thought my finger was a worm.

But currently, week four after I gave him a bath, he refused to eat and started to darken in color. He’s been a little lethargic compared to week 2. I noticed that he had some yellowing around the eye and beard that I fear is a fungal disease. I looks like some of the scales on his beard aren’t in good condition either. He also near the end of the week looked to lose a lot of weight.

As I stated before, I’m a first time beards owner which probably isn’t the greatest situation for him. The nearest exotic vet that would be able to help lives about 1 hour away I don’t want to take him on the journey if Im just being over dramatic and stress him out more, but I also don’t want to not treat him if he’s actually sick. Also money isn’t great right now as the set up was really expensive.

I’ll put some photos of the tank and him. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
CBA225DF-D47C-41AF-BA79-D74707784606.jpeg
B51741F6-AB88-4348-94CE-C6C2928199B5.jpeg
60547369-E1B2-4250-848B-0035A4A24E62.jpeg
655589CD-DF72-4C77-8053-57A360787784.jpeg
87EE35ED-BE44-4232-B090-3665705DE4FA.jpeg
8C664B6F-0B3D-4F86-87A0-B17AB1B5D702.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Long story but I feel like its important to get all in. I got a bearded dragon from my friend who had him for about a year, she had got him from a breeder who had him for about 1 1/2 years. My friend didn’t do much research on beardies and unintentionally had the guy in pretty bad conditions. I sadly didn’t think to take any photos before I moved him. I took him in about a month ago, I’ve never kept a dragon before but I tried to do some research and based my tank on others that I’ve seen here. He’s probably about 2-3 years old and was being kept in a very unclean 30 gal glass fish tank with a pool on one end and improper lighting. She had one heat lamp and no UVB. He was extremely lethargic, dark in color, very light weight, and never wanted to eat. He also hated being held and the only time he showed energy was trying to bite or wiggle out of her grasp. She only feed him micro plants and no bugs because her apartment wouldn’t allow it.

I moved him over to his current tank, which is a 120 gal Zen tank. For lighting I have a UVB tube light, a ceramic heat light that has a temp control on it and a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp. These one stay on from 9am to 9pm before they shut off with the timer thing I have. The tank is currently in a spare bedroom that no one uses, so the only traffic is me coming in to take care of him and my cat who could care less about him.

The first week I had him, I left him alone as I heard giving them alone time after being rehomed was good. I only really came in to put some veggies in his bowl, which he rarely ate. I would let the veggies sit in there for about 20-30 minutes before going in and removing them.

After about week two, he actually started eating the veggies I gave him, I then started feeding him some Dubai roaches which he actually chased, these were coated in some calcium powder.

By week three he was eating out of my hand and look a lot lighter in color and gained some weight. He would let me hold him but really liked to crawl all over me. Never really got aggressive other than when I tried to pick him up after eating and he thought my finger was a worm.

But currently, week four after I gave him a bath, he refused to eat and started to darken in color. He’s been a little lethargic compared to week 2. I noticed that he had some yellowing around the eye and beard that I fear is a fungal disease. I looks like some of the scales on his beard aren’t in good condition either. He also near the end of the week looked to lose a lot of weight.

As I stated before, I’m a first time beards owner which probably isn’t the greatest situation for him. The nearest exotic vet that would be able to help lives about 1 hour away I don’t want to take him on the journey if Im just being over dramatic and stress him out more, but I also don’t want to not treat him if he’s actually sick. Also money isn’t great right now as the set up was really expensive.

I’ll put some photos of the tank and him. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 70979 View attachment 70977 View attachment 70978 View attachment 70976 View attachment 70981 View attachment 70980
His belly is shed it will eventually come off - I need ahbd to take a look at his back--and eyes-- as far your uvb what brand and bulb please? Distance makes a difference between the T 8 and T 5 -- please use a digital probe thermometer for the hammock getting surface basking temps-- 95-100
@AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, I don't see any yellow fungus, just some old skin on the belly/shedding. Eventually
it will shed off. A lot of them have a varying degree of yellow pigmentation on & around their
face & eye areas so perfectly normal.
I hope he does well for you!

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You made a great new home for the Ares, he went from neglected to pampered. :) I agree with the others, yellow eye circle is natural color , the belly has the splotches of darker individual scales which sometimes will stay that way but is not at all yellow fungus. It looks like he has darker side bars on his back, get some more pics of that area when you can but that's also usually a common pattern in many dragons. BTW, are you sure Ares is a male ? I only ask because of how narrow his head is [ which is not always an indicator but can be ] and the tinny femoral pores.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My first impression was female also.
But the dragon was neglected so maybe ubdersized?

Kaira

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ares
His belly is shed it will eventually come off - I need ahbd to take a look at his back--and eyes-- as far your uvb what brand and bulb please? Distance makes a difference between the T 8 and T 5 -- please use a digital probe thermometer for the hammock getting surface basking temps-- 95-100
@AHBD
I have a 18” sunblaster NanoTech T5 with a Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 bulb in it and it’s 12” from where he normally sits. I moved one The digital probe thermometer attached to my reptitemp digital thermostat set to 100 and it’s at 97 right now.

Kaira

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ares
You made a great new home for the Ares, he went from neglected to pampered. :) I agree with the others, yellow eye circle is natural color , the belly has the splotches of darker individual scales which sometimes will stay that way but is not at all yellow fungus. It looks like he has darker side bars on his back, get some more pics of that area when you can but that's also usually a common pattern in many dragons. BTW, are you sure Ares is a male ? I only ask because of how narrow his head is [ which is not always an indicator but can be ] and the tinny femoral pores.
Well, the person I got Ares from said he was a male and I never checked so it’s very much a possibility that he’s a she 😅. I also attached some photos of the dark side bars. Ares didn’t want to pancake for me so hopefully these phots still work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 77

Kaira

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ares
My first impression was female also.
But the dragon was neglected so maybe ubdersized?
I looked up a quick video on how to check, and tried to look but I’m still a little unsure. I might post some photos later but Ares didn’t really like me messing with the tail I’m going to let them chill for a bit. It would be very funny to find out that Ares is actually a female, which means we’ll need a name change

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I was looking at the pics again, i will be happy to see before and after pics down the line. I think this dragon is going to fill out and be very handsome/pretty after a lil tlc.
I wish more people would take in and rehab rather then running to petsmart/petco for their dragons. It breaks my heart to see what people do to these guys, but its heart warming when someone rescues them!

Kaira

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ares
Alright, these were the best photos I could get. Also, ate a little bit today but not a lot and didn’t want to hunt for anything. But Ares has been climbing up to the basking spot by himself and has his mouth open a little while doing so.

Attachments

• 1B5DAC58-2F9F-42F0-B819-4E77FEE43F78.jpeg
    1B5DAC58-2F9F-42F0-B819-4E77FEE43F78.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 63
  • BFBD5F1E-174A-4629-8D81-4CCF817C99AF.jpeg
    BFBD5F1E-174A-4629-8D81-4CCF817C99AF.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 72

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ares is a bit too thin to be able to tell, it causes more of the bone, muscle + tendons to show and you can't get a true picture. After some weight gain + filling out you can try again. Sorry Ares !

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
You can candle light his/her tail with a small led flashlight but be careful even leds get hot. Please dont burn your dragon

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom