Does my beardie have sunken fat pads?

tedbubz

Beardie name(s)
Ted (1 year 2 mo) Western Bearded Dragon - Pogona minor minor)
Hi all,

Everytime I visit my exotix vet he always says that Ted is in great health for the general health check (but then sometimes he has parasites with Ted being completely asymptomatic).

I frequent a FB group and long story short some say mine has sunken fat pads and needs to see vet.

Can I ask for your opinion. Ignore the current setup, it's his quarantine enclosure since he's bejng treated for parasites.

Not sure if this is relevant but he's a pogona minor minor so he stays small his entire life.

If you could help me out I would be extremely grateful. Thank you

20221224_162837.jpg

20221225_095337.jpg

20221225_095341.jpg

20221222_170652.jpg

20221222_170706.jpg

20221222_170555.jpg

20221221_121400.jpg

20221220_105203.jpg

20221220_105055.jpg

20221218_175230.jpg

20221218_175211.jpg

20221218_175243.jpg

20221203_180805.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all,

Everytime I visit my exotix vet he always says that Ted is in great health for the general health check (but then sometimes he has parasites with Ted being completely asymptomatic).

I frequent a FB group and long story short some say mine has sunken fat pads and needs to see vet.

Can I ask for your opinion. Ignore the current setup, it's his quarantine enclosure since he's bejng treated for parasites.

Not sure if this is relevant but he's a pogona minor minor so he stays small his entire life.

If you could help me out I would be extremely grateful. Thank you

View attachment 76447
View attachment 76448
View attachment 76449
View attachment 76450
View attachment 76451
View attachment 76452
View attachment 76453
View attachment 76454
View attachment 76455
View attachment 76456
View attachment 76457
View attachment 76458
View attachment 76459
He looks pretty good--- I would take the egg crates out and use paper towels for now -- are you disinfecting the tank and decor w/ some F10 or Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out ? His UVB and his surface basking temps are what is going to help him keep those parasites away -- so he does not get infected again - they will infect themselves again if the tank is not thoroughly being cleaned and the lighting is off - this is what helps him keep them at bay

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your dragon looks good, there is no sign of his hip bones, and his tail is nice and plump. Over all he is a very good looking dragon.
What parasites is he being treated for? Some stuff like Coccidia is very resilient. It takes strong disinfectants to kill it. Ammonia is the most effective but it has serious draw backs. It's toxic and the fumes can really mess up their respotory system. If used you have to make sure to get it all out and air out the habitat to zero fumes. Their respotory system is more simple than ours and more susceptible to chemicals. Even if you use ammonia it has to stay wet for 15 minutes or so to kill it. Other disinfectants take even longer. High heat also kills it, a steam wand will work but is also time consuming. It takes several minutes with hi heat to kill it also.
Since you are using a quarantine tank, i would clean the bejebbers outta his normal set up with ammonia, rinse it all down, and let it air out a few days.
The trick to keeping it under control is to clean poop up asap with the disinfectants like Karrieree mentioned or with chlorhexidine (you can get it at tractor suppy in the horse section) them reingesting the parasites after they poop is what causes the outbreak.
Part of the life cycle of Coccidia is to leave the boby and then reenter the boby, if you break that cycle you stop it in it's tracks.

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
He looks pretty good--- I would take the egg crates out and use paper towels for now -- are you disinfecting the tank and decor w/ some F10 or Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out ? His UVB and his surface basking temps are what is going to help him keep those parasites away -- so he does not get infected again - they will infect themselves again if the tank is not thoroughly being cleaned and the lighting is off - this is what helps him keep them at bay
Thank you! If I take the egg cartes out there'll only be paper towel and his hide...is that OK? It seems a bit too boring hahah.

Yes, I've been disinfecting and changing paper towels. Lights and heat haven't changed so we're good on that.

Thanks so much :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! If I take the egg cartes out there'll only be paper towel and his hide...is that OK? It seems a bit too boring hahah.

Yes, I've been disinfecting and changing paper towels. Lights and heat haven't changed so we're good on that.

Thanks so much :)
You want less stuff to clean - make sure he's accessible to getting under his uvb- what uvb are you using? Coil or long tube?

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon looks good, there is no sign of his hip bones, and his tail is nice and plump. Over all he is a very good looking dragon.
What parasites is he being treated for? Some stuff like Coccidia is very resilient. It takes strong disinfectants to kill it. Ammonia is the most effective but it has serious draw backs. It's toxic and the fumes can really mess up their respotory system. If used you have to make sure to get it all out and air out the habitat to zero fumes. Their respotory system is more simple than ours and more susceptible to chemicals. Even if you use ammonia it has to stay wet for 15 minutes or so to kill it. Other disinfectants take even longer. High heat also kills it, a steam wand will work but is also time consuming. It takes several minutes with hi heat to kill it also.
Since you are using a quarantine tank, i would clean the bejebbers outta his normal set up with ammonia, rinse it all down, and let it air out a few days.
The trick to keeping it under control is to clean poop up asap with the disinfectants like Karrieree mentioned or with chlorhexidine (you can get it at tractor suppy in the horse section) them reingesting the parasites after they poop is what causes the outbreak.
Part of the life cycle of Coccidia is to leave the boby and then reenter the boby, if you break that cycle you stop it in it's tracks.
Wow thank you so much for all the advice!

He was being treated for coccidia and when I gave my vet his poop to get a recheck he got cleared for coccidia (YAY) but they found that he had a nemotid parasite but not sure which so we're currentlt trying to clear that out now. No idea how he got it :/

EDIT: I should add that he probs got it while he was in quarantine tank as I didn't even change it back yet and was waiting for coccidia results.

tedbubz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
You want less stuff to clean - make sure he's accessible to getting under his uvb- what uvb are you using? Coil or long tube?
Arcadia t5 12%. I've been here before and I remember getting the A OK from you regarding lights hehe - you were very helpful.

OK, thanks for the advice! I appreciate it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom