Does my bearded dragon have tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicblake

Original Poster
image.jpg
I bought my bearded dragon Buddy a few days ago and have noticed some darker discolouring on his tail? I’m worried this is tail rot? Can anyone more experienced than me have a look and give their opinion? Does he need to go to a vet?

Would massively appreciate any replies thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 66618 I bought my bearded dragon Buddy a few days ago and have noticed some darker discolouring on his tail? I’m worried this is tail rot? Can anyone more experienced than me have a look and give their opinion? Does he need to go to a vet?

Can you post a closer pic of the end of the tail- from what I see it does not look like it but a closer clear pic of the end would be good

dominicblake

Original Poster
Can you post a closer pic of the end of the tail- from what I see it does not look like it but a closer clear pic of the end would be good
Thanks for the quick response, I’ve attached a better photo. The tail looks normal in this photo because of the bright heat lamp but in normal light it’s a lot darker to the rest of the body like in the photo before.
image.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for the quick response, I’ve attached a better photo. The tail looks normal in this photo because of the bright heat lamp but in normal light it’s a lot darker to the rest of the body like in the photo before. View attachment 66619
If it was tail rot the end would be a solid black top and bottom and the tail would look dried out thin and brittle -- I am not seeing any of that it is usually caused be another dragon biting it getting pinched or nipped by another dragon -- its going to shed

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the tail appears healthy to me as well. It is probably going to shed soon. The skin always gets a little darker prior
to shedding.

Tracie

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
View attachment 66618 I bought my bearded dragon Buddy a few days ago and have noticed some darker discolouring on his tail? I’m worried this is tail rot? Can anyone more experienced than me have a look and give their opinion? Does he need to go to a vet?

Does it change color or anything like that because when I first got my bearded dragon it was black and when I put him in his tank it got lighter and sometimes I take him out it gets black black tail also could mean fear or nervous. And it’s not really black it’s probs going into shed or its just how it looks

neenandmaxwell

Beardie name(s)
maxwell
Does it change color or anything like that because when I first got my bearded dragon it was black and when I put him in his tank it got lighter and sometimes I take him out it gets black black tail also could mean fear or nervous. And it’s not really black it’s probs going into shed or its just how it looks
You should look into "happy colors." Bearded dragons usually get brighter when they are happy, and also when they are nice and warm. Your dragon is likely getting lighter or brighter due to the warmth inside of his enclosure. If his beard or body darkens when you take him out, that is usually an indication of anxiety and stress in a beardie. If it is just the tail, I'd say your dragon is fine and yes probably will shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom