Does it matter which dome I use and CHE question

Imjoloki

Beardie name(s)
Ollie
I'm wondering if it makes a difference which dome I use for my beardies basking light. Its a 100watt light I have these 2 deep domes ones wide the others skinnier I have a couple doubles too. Do they give off different levels of heat? Which would be better out of the 2 in this pic? Also I'm expecting a 100 watt CHE from Amazon today can anyone give me advice on best way to use it and when. I have a 40 gallon tank. Arcadia t5 100 watt basking light and a 50 I turn on in the mornings to help heat up faster. I'm expecting a digi probe thermometer also so I'll be checking temps all I have atm is the much hated stickies.
Any help would be much appreciated 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_202228087_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230107_202228087_HDR.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 94

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm wondering if it makes a difference which dome I use for my beardies basking light. Its a 100watt light I have these 2 deep domes ones wide the others skinnier I have a couple doubles too. Do they give off different levels of heat? Which would be better out of the 2 in this pic? Also I'm expecting a 100 watt CHE from Amazon today can anyone give me advice on best way to use it and when. I have a 40 gallon tank. Arcadia t5 100 watt basking light and a 50 I turn on in the mornings to help heat up faster. I'm expecting a digi probe thermometer also so I'll be checking temps all I have atm is the much hated stickies.
Any help would be much appreciated 😁
The CHE needs a dome w/ a ceramic socket and the correct wattage I use a deep dome for mine - it sits on the top of the screen middle of the tank - its a 100 watt on a 120 gallon tank - I only use it when temps are below zero here - when its run it keeps the tank around 73 degrees - you want temps in the tank at night between 65-75 --

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I would use the one on the left for your ceramic bulb and the one on the right for your basking bulb.

Imjoloki

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ollie
Ok.. I have 2 of the bigger ones tho.. should I still use these two? And do i run the che 24/7 or just at night? My house stays around 74 but it feels cooler

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
If you have 2 of the wider ones those are the ones I would use. Me personally I’m not a fan of the deep domes. To me the it blocks some of the heat because it’s at a higher distance. It’s not what the house feels like it’s about the tank. I have to run my Che day and night to keep the temp where it needs to be. This is what I check my temps with
1673195988547.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok.. I have 2 of the bigger ones tho.. should I still use these two? And do i run the che 24/7 or just at night? My house stays around 74 but it feels cooler
Your tank will go to house temps at night - or close to it- the deep reflector domes reflect the heat into the tank-- your probes will measure the ambient temps at night w/ the basking lights off- just hang the probe on the side of your tank-- I have never used a wide dome w/ the che I have always used the deep domes as recommended - IR guns are good but do not read off of certain materials used for basking- I have them as well but rely on my probes

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom