Does anyone Use a Exo Terra compact Top PT2613?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased my beardies forever enclosure about a month ago. I purchased the Exo Terra 36x18x18 enclosure. I recently received a tarantula as a birthday gift. The boyfriend put her in a exo terra mini low & purchased the top light fixture that goes with it. I had never seen one of those light fixtures before and i realized exo terra most likely makes one for the tank i had purchased. Taking a look at it the canopy fixture can hold 4 bulbs however each can only hold a max of 25 watts. What do I do? Do i buy 1 fixture and buy four 25w bulbs and a second dual canopy with two 5.0 UVB bulbs? I haven't seen any other post in the forum regarding what bulbs people have used. I love the look of the canopy on top of the cage but I do not want to have temperature and humidity issues. Has any one ever used one? Did it work for you? I was thinking of calling exo terra but it seems like when you call the person on the other end has no idea what your talking about and just wants to make a sale.

p.s does anyone know a good way to keep a cat off the top of a screened cage. She has been sitting on top of the tarantula tank and the screen is drooping. The last thing I would need is the tarantula getting loose in my home and my cat hunting her for food :banghead:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That fixture will do you no good.

You need two bulbs.
A basking bulb (one which will most likely need to be a higher wattage than 25 watts....)
And a uvb bulb. - the reptisun 10.0 TUBE or the Arcadia 12% tube.

Both of those tubes will not fit in your fixture. They are the only two bulbs proven safe and effective for bearded dragons. All other bulbs have been linked to serious health issues.

-Brandon

BabiieKakesxOx

Original Poster
I use a Reptisun 5.0 and have been told multiple times by multiple people that it is fine for her enclosure.
What bulbs would you recommend for that zoo med light fixture? does it take 3 bulbs?

My dragon is in that same exo terra viv that you bought but I had to make some tweaks to it starting by taking out the background because my dragon kept jumping on it and I was afraid he could get hurt by falling or getting to close to the basking bulb and burning himself and I also wanted to put the uvb inside the enclosure.

For mounting the fixture inside I bought an under cabinet fixture from Walmart and I hooked it with some 3M hooks and just placed the basking bulb on the top.

This worked for me really good and its cheaper than buying all those expensive brand fixtures.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
BabiieKakesxOx":394fg6lz said:
I use a Reptisun 5.0 and have been told multiple times by multiple people that it is fine for her enclosure.
What bulbs would you recommend for that zoo med light fixture? does it take 3 bulbs?

5.0s are made for tropical species. They do not produce enough uvb for a desert creature... hence the 10.0.

I already recommend the only bulbs you should get.

-Brandon

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
BabiieKakesxOx":uf7gzihy said:

And who exactly told you this? As it is wrong information.

The only bulbs that are recommended as Brandon has already stated, are:
claudiusx":uf7gzihy said:
You need two bulbs.
A basking bulb (one which will most likely need to be a higher wattage than 25 watts....)
And a uvb bulb. - the reptisun 10.0 TUBE or the Arcadia 12% tube.

Jess

Extreme Poster
BabiieKakesxOx":2m0wgi8m said:

It looks like you can use your ReptiSun UVB tube, and then a basking light and a CHE if you need one. :) The light sockets are rated for 150 watts.
My vet uses this hood for their clinic's beardie, and it looks really nice! Plus the Exo Terra ones aren't as well made... They are plastic and only rated for 25 watts, so you can't put a basking light in them. I've melted them that way! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom