Does anyone know what gulping or swallowing means?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The reason why I'm asking is that I noticed that Maya's gulping or swallowing? It got me into an anxiety attack when I saw him do this. I scheduled a vet visit and the vet will be on Wednesday. That's when the reptile vet is in. He doesn't do it all the time.

A little history.

Back in October, he had a bad batch of superworms and contracted roundworms. The vet and I treated him with Panacur because they kept coming back. I opened a gofundme to raise money to get him seen by his vet for weight and to go from there. He wanted to do x-rays to see how his bones were since he's 8 years old and I couldn't afford an x-ray. Then I raised concerns about his nails being long and he stated a vitamin deficiency. I went ahead and got critical care and Beardie buffet to get him back to being healthy from his roundworm episodes, and eating on his own again. The vet wouldn't touch them so I began to file them with an emery board and got them filed well enough that he can walk without wobbling and hobbling around in his tank. He can now walk. The vet tried to look in his mouth and instead of looking in his mouth, Maya bit the vet.

However, someone from an exotic vet group told me that he has a vitamin A deficiency because of his eyes being swollen? This photo was taken a few weeks after his visit and he was getting the Beardie buffet.
I will also ask the vet about vitamin A deficiency.
He does show interest in bugs.

Here's his husbandry
I know the stuff in his tank isn't the best, but it's all I could get for now while he regains his mobility and what I can get as proper basking spots.
I had a cardboard box that was in there and he poo'd on it. Out it went.

So, back to his husbandry.
New HO 10.0 Arcadia 12% Bulb UVB Fixture.
New Reptibasking Spot Lamp- Zoomed - New Fixture too.
95-105 basking spot temps
85-88 Cool Side Temps
30-35 Humidity Gauge
Measured temps with a digital thermometer - not the stick on ones that give false readings.

He has no water dish.
He has no live plants.
Not bioactive.
He's on Seventh Generation Paper Towels
Has one large piece of granite tile that's he loves. He'll file his nails on that. I've seen him digging at it.
He has a lovee bunny in the corner.
Saucer Chair that's seen better days.
A small pillow and a cupcake pillow.
My travel pillow covered with a pillow case, he's claimed.

He lives in a 55g critter tank.
The UVB is on top of a metal screen- not one of those fine ones that filter out the light.
He gets Turnip greens, spritzed, alfalfa powder, spirulina powder, dandelion green powder, bee pollen, multivitamin 2-3 times a week, calcium with d3 once a week, and calcium without D3 every day. He has been also on beardie buffet from repashy to help his vitamin and minerals.
I give him a bath once a week- which he hates. He would rather swim around in a shower to poo. I tried to 'trick him' and he glared at me for not turning on the shower for him. I have a foot spa which he jumps out of.

Attachments

• Maya3.jpg
    Maya3.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 118
  • maya1.jpg
    maya1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 63
  • WIN_20230315_15_33_55_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230315_15_33_55_Pro.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 74

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My vet is pretty good at bearded dragon recommendations on how to improve his tank. I'm glad that he has a friend who owns and breeds them. She's very knowledgeable about them. He confers with her and he gives the information to me.
Your a step ahead of most of us, it's danged hard to find a good reptile vet. Count yourself lucky 🙂

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Your a step ahead of most of us, it's danged hard to find a good reptile vet. Count yourself lucky.
It really is. He sends off fecals to reptile departments at the University of Georgia. (Where I live) Sadly, his office doesn't do bloodwork on beardies because he doesn't have a lab for it. I cannot travel to another county because my SUV is 20+ years old now and doesn't go out of town without stalling.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I lived in Flowery Branch (just outside Atlanta) for a year or so, the thing i remember most was the friggen humidity lol 😆

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I lived in Flowery Branch (just outside Atlanta) for a year or so, the thing i remember most was the friggen humidity lol 😆
The humidity sucks. If it isn't the humidity, it's the storms.
I used to live in Florida from the 1980 - 1993. Then my late father moved us to Ga in Summer of 93.
The things I remember are the pop up quick storms that happen once a day, maybe an hour or so, along with tornadoes. Then it'd clear out. As if nothing happened- In Fla.

I was sort of happy to move. But, now? I want to go somewhere else. I'm in a town that's like a dead end and when you move in, you can't get out. No matter what you try to do.
Florida's weather is now in Georgia. Then it rains through the whole winter. I don't remember it raining this much in Georgia around the winter.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Another question.
Is it possible that 'gulping' can also be a sign that he 'has to poop'? POOP! He hasn't yet. I will try to avoid the 'Edema'. I read the article and warning.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Another question.
Is it possible that 'gulping' can also be a sign that he 'has to poop'? POOP! He hasn't yet. I will try to avoid the 'Edema'. I read the article
what does gulping look like, do you have vids? i think my beardie does that but idk if thats what its called for mine, just wanted to know if ours does the same thing lol, and if they do i now know its gulping!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you are concerned he is backed up, you can give him a little unsweetened baby food, apple sauce, prune, sweet potato ect. Luke warm soak may help him go also.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom