Do you know what this is? Please help.

tamtamtam

Hello, I'm at my wits end so I'm hoping someone here has experienced a similar issue or seen this before.

My bearded dragon has had some sort of infection in her vent for 6+ months now and I can't seem to get it to clear up. We have been to the vet 2 or 3 times now. The vet gave us antibiotics and an ointment around December, and it seemed to be improving. I continued with camomile baths and topical honey, which he also recommended. It go better but it never quite cleared up. Additionally I changed to paper towel substrate and replace it regularly, I also clean and disinfect the tank every couple weeks. He suggested I lower the hummidity so a removed all plants near the tank and keep a fan or small heater nearby at all times which seems to have worked.

I took her back to the vet in January and he said it looked fine, despite some swelling and irritation. Now it looks a lot worse again. Her behavior is normal, she eats and poops regularly, and doesn't seem lethargic but this just doesn't look normal at all!!!! I'm so worried and I'm frustrated that nothing seems to work, I don't want it to become a bigger problem and cause her more pain or discomfort.

The vet confirmed it isn't related to prolapse and he didn't find any parasites. He thought maybe cloacitis but he wasn't sure and I can't find much information about it. I will take her back to the vet and ask for some tests of the infected tissue as well as her general health but has anyone seen something like this?

I am attaching photos from when I first noticed it in November, right before going to the vet in December, and what it looks like now.

Attachments

• Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 96
  • Current 2.jpg
    Current 2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 64
  • December 2.jpg
    December 2.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 71
  • December.jpg
    December.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 70
  • November.jpg
    November.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 64
  • November 2.jpg
    November 2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 69

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks much better than at first. Has she ever laid eggs ? That almost looks like a sperm plug so I was wondering if maybe you have a male. The spot that's there now looks like whatever it was has mostly healed. I'd just use a Q-tip to dab raw honey in to it and leave it at that. The fact that she/he is acting normally means it's not a problem. ETA here is how to check the gender:

tamtamtam

Original Poster
It looks much better than at first. Has she ever laid eggs ? That almost looks like a sperm plug so I was wondering if maybe you have a male. The spot that's there now looks like whatever it was has mostly healed. I'd just use a Q-tip to dab raw honey in to it and leave it at that. The fact that she/he is acting normally means it's not a problem. ETA here is how to check the gender:
Thank you for your response! She hasn't laid eggs but the vet seemed pretty sure she was a female when he looked. Based on her behavior this seems likely, she is very mellow and not very territorial. But its not out of the question. I will to a differnt vet next time and will get a second opinion.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rats, I just looked at your pictures again and had mistakenly put the last one as the first. Is the brown/rust color from the ointment and honey ?

tamtamtam

Original Poster
Rats, I just looked at your pictures again and had mistakenly put the last one as the first. Is the brown/rust color from the ointment and honey ?
I thought maybe but I gave her a long soak and a gentle scrub and it didn't change at all. The discoloration around it makes me worried. The area feels very hard to the touch, like scar tissue or something.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some stains can take a while to come off. Be sure to do the flashlight to sex your dragon, we get misgendered dragons here all the time and often even after a vet has given their incorrect opinion.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It kind of looks like some staining, I agree. The area looks much better though, in comparison.
Yes, we need to be sure of the gender just so we know.
You could also use aloe vera gel or silver gel if you are still having some trouble.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi again, just wondering how your dragon is doing ? I believe that white thing was a sperm plug all along, have you had a chance to do the flashlight ?

tamtamtam

Original Poster
Hi again, just wondering how your dragon is doing ? I believe that white thing was a sperm plug all along, have you had a chance to do the flashlight ?
Hello, thank for checking up on us!

We went to a new vet over the weekend and she took some swabs/samples. It wasn't a sperm plug but we are still waiting for results. There is irritation and swelling inside the vent as well. She also didn't find parasites but we are treating it with anti-biotics and an ointment. I did double checked with a flashlight and she appears to be female.

While I still don't know the cause, she is looking a lot better with a few days of treatment! We will follow up with the vet and do a blood draw next week to make sure everything is alright.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear that she's feeling better ! What type of ointment did they give you ? I still think pic # 3+4 look just like a sperm plug. If you get a chance can you post a pic of her arched tail with the flashlight ? Anyway, glad that you feel better about her situation and the fact that she is still eating well is a good sign.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great she is looking better now, bless her. I agree, it does almost look like a sperm plug. We
can definitely help you to determine the gender just to be sure! I'm glad she seems to be feeling more
energetic now.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom