Do you buy feeders in bulk for one beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarac

So I ordered food last week and I needed to order again like 4 days later and pay for that shipping again!!! Lol so for babies I'm just curious how many feeders people are buying and if those feeders survive if you buy them in bulk. Or if they grow too large before you can feed them off? She really only eats crickets and dubias. Here and there she'll have a superworm, since I have them and didn't realize they were that closely linked to impaction. I just hate the shipping, especially because I have to buy from multiple sites lol. Not urgent, just curious if anyone else went through this pain of paying more for shipping than the actual bugs haha.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I bought a bunch of dubias a while back like 200 and low and behold I had a colony going not doing this on purpose - I had to buy Blazes dubias for a while cuz he couldnt eat Hiccups size roaches now I havent had to buy dubias for a long time -- I have tons of little ones in the tank now along w/ medium and still large as well- crickets die off too quick so if you want another staple feeder stay w the roaches they are easiest to keep and I would alternate silk worms -- they are around $1 per worm or a little less but you can feed those as well but I would mainly do the roaches -- you can feed super worms as treats thats what I do and they last as well -- supers you can feed regular oatmeal w/ a carrot in there for hydration - hornworms I feed one every day and only order 12 at a time --- but the roaches last a really long time

sarac

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2rlvxjd8 said:
I bought a bunch of dubias a while back like 200 and low and behold I had a colony going not doing this on purpose - I had to buy Blazes dubias for a while cuz he couldnt eat Hiccups size roaches now I havent had to buy dubias for a long time -- I have tons of little ones in the tank now along w/ medium and still large as well- crickets die off too quick so if you want another staple feeder stay w the roaches they are easiest to keep and I would alternate silk worms -- they are around $1 per worm or a little less but you can feed those as well but I would mainly do the roaches -- you can feed super worms as treats thats what I do and they last as well -- supers you can feed regular oatmeal w/ a carrot in there for hydration - hornworms I feed one every day and only order 12 at a time --- but the roaches last a really long time

Okay perfect I think I’ll stick to roaches. It’s hard (but also lovely) that she’s really showing her personality and getting picky with how she eats. I mean she’s basically memorized the tub I put the superworms in, because every time she sees it she won’t eat anything else. And she knows that when she sees the tongs it’s time to eat lol. So cute. Anyways, I was looking into silkworms but I didn’t know how fast they grew and they are expensive and usually sold out. If they grow slow, I may order some. Hornworms grow terribly fast. I bought 12 once and she ate 2 before they were too big for her. I’m seriously trying to get her to like the BSFL but she’ll eat one when she’s starving and then realize she doesn’t actually like them lol what a personality.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some wont eat BSFL my two dont --- Blaze is burnt out on them and now wont eat them at all -- here is a website for silkworms and dubias
www.reptilianarts.com order bulk they come small babies --- you can grow them out the do not grow as fast as hornworms -- you will need to buy 50 for the bulk and get food they do not come w/ food its a dry powder you mix as needed -- you will need to clean containers out daily

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can save money on bulk crickets, just find a dependable cricket breeder with good reviews. I've used Ghann's + Great Lakes hornworm the most. You can order 500 , set them up in a plastic tote [ not a useless cricket keeper ] and they should last a couple of weeks. Ghann's sells 500 crix for about $12 plus shipping. They sell dubia as well.

sarac

Original Poster
Okay I might have to do that. My local shop sells 50 crickets for $7.... so I guess shipping is worth it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, if you do, order them on a Monday or Tuesday to allow for any problem in delivery [ unlikely ] But if you live in a colder climate order them on the day that is going to be warmer for the 1 -2 days it may be in transit. If you get a large batch of crix let me know and I can give you tips on setting them up. Don't bother with the cricket quencher they sell at the pet store.

sarac

Original Poster
Well I ordered 200 of them when I ordered my 200 dubia... and Is the cricket quencher bad? I have it but I usually just give them greens. I have the crickets in a small tote with aluminum mesh glued to the top. I would get a big tote but I think my roommate would kill me lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's just not necessary and does not take the place of real veggies. BTW, if you don't mind me asking who did you order from , how much was it for the crix and the dubias and did you get them yet ?

sarac

Original Poster
I ordered my dubias from dubiaroaches.com 200 for 15 and crickets from rainbowmealworms 200 for 6.50 but I think it was originally 4.50 and I got a heat pack. I haven’t gotten them yet. And okay I’ll probably just use the rest of my cricket quencher up and then I won’t buy it. I use veggies + repashy bug burger

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
sarac":253o3r9c said:
So I ordered food last week and I needed to order again like 4 days later and pay for that shipping again!!! Lol so for babies I'm just curious how many feeders people are buying and if those feeders survive if you buy them in bulk. Or if they grow too large before you can feed them off? She really only eats crickets and dubias. Here and there she'll have a superworm, since I have them and didn't realize they were that closely linked to impaction. I just hate the shipping, especially because I have to buy from multiple sites lol. Not urgent, just curious if anyone else went through this pain of paying more for shipping than the actual bugs haha.

I definitely bought my dubias in larger quantities, and kept them stored in a large plastic bin... best value for the money, IMHO. Dubias grow very slowly, so I never had a problem with them outgrowing my dragon's voracious appetite! Crickets, on the other hand, keel over with the drop of a hat - so I'm not sure about them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Crickets are easy to keep if set up right. If they are healthy when shipped and don't get roasted in hot weather or if it's below freezing during transport.

sarac

Original Poster
I got a heat pack for my crickets but I ordered so many that they might die off pretty quickly. Fortunately Lemon has a huge appetite so she’ll probably be able to eat half of them in a few days lol

sarac

Original Poster
ComicBookMama":2o4lkg6j said:
sarac":2o4lkg6j said:

I definitely bought my dubias in larger quantities, and kept them stored in a large plastic bin... best value for the money, IMHO. Dubias grow very slowly, so I never had a problem with them outgrowing my dragon's voracious appetite! Crickets, on the other hand, keel over with the drop of a hat - so I'm not sure about them.

Awesome. She really loves dubias, so that’s good to know. I wish I could use really big bins but I’m a college student and I think my apartment company would kill me and so would my roommate haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom