Do I need to get a 24" uvb & fixture?

TCP8282

Original Poster
Hi Everyone, I have a 2x2x4 zenhabitat with a zoomed T5 36" uvb mounted inside. My Grandbeardie Puck seems to be on the cool side of his tank pretty often and isnt very active. His basking spot it 105 degrees, 12" from the UVB. I pull him out of the dark corner crawls into out from under the hide in the mornings and set in the light to warm up. He is usually back in the corner when I get home from work. Is he possibly getting to much UVB? Maybe I should get a 24" arcadia 14% and have the hood on top of the tank instead of Inside? As you see in the pics the mesh on the tank is somewhat fine. I got him a cool higher basking spot that would be 9" from the current uvb. I want to make sure he is happy and healthy. I recently purchased a dimming thermostat that ill be setting up soon also. Advice is very welcomed!! Thank you ahead of time! Does he look like a healthy little dragon??

Attachments

• 20230221_164016.jpg
    20230221_164016.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230221_164037.jpg
    20230221_164037.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220830_142433.jpg
    20220830_142433.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230221_165644.jpg
    20230221_165644.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230221_165654.jpg
    20230221_165654.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 60

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
how old is he? when they get older they like the basking spot temps cooler. Sir Henry prefers 95° for basking, 90° hot side ambient, and 82° for cool side and he's almost 3. Puck might be too hot and that could be why he's on the cool side. your UVB is fine. that's what I have in my enclosure. make sure the distance for it is 12"-15" away from a piece of basking decor.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks really good, overall.
If he is over a year old, you can keep the basking spot to a range of 95-100F. He might
be too hot, it's hard to know for sure.
How much space is left at one end of the tank that the tube doesn't take up? At 12 inches, the UVB mounted inside should be fine.
Is your basking light a bright white light or is it
a yellowish hue or colored?
You can mount it on top of the screen top but many times it diminishes the UVB output so if
you can keep it mounted underneath of the screen that would be good.
As a good practice, it's better to have the UVB take up only 3/4th of the length of the
tank so there will be an area in the tank with a less strong UVB exposure.
A dimmer can help control temperatures really well so hopefully that will help out!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

TCP8282

Original Poster
how old is he? when they get older they like the basking spot temps cooler. Sir Henry prefers 95° for basking, 90° hot side ambient, and 82° for cool side and he's almost 3. Puck might be too hot and that could be why he's on the cool side. your UVB is fine. that's what I have in my enclosure. make sure the distance for it is 12"-15" away from a piece of basking decor.
Puck is 3 also. Thank you, ill lower the basking spot temp and see if that helps.

TCP8282

Original Poster
Hello,

He looks really good, overall.
If he is over a year old, you can keep the basking spot to a range of 95-100F. He might
be too hot, it's hard to know for sure.
How much space is left at one end of the tank that the tube doesn't take up? At 12 inches, the UVB mounted inside should be fine.
Is your basking light a bright white light or is it
a yellowish hue or colored?
You can mount it on top of the screen top but many times it diminishes the UVB output so if
you can keep it mounted underneath of the screen that would be good.
As a good practice, it's better to have the UVB take up only 3/4th of the length of the
tank so there will be an area in the tank with a less strong UVB exposure.
A dimmer can help control temperatures really well so hopefully that will help out!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
It has a yellow ish hue to it i believe. Its a zoomed reptisun T5 10.0. Puck is 3, ill be lowering his basking temp. Tank is 48" uvb bulb is 34".

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You want a piece of basking decor directly under the UVB 12-15 inches -- surface basking temps 95-100 for his age and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- please get these things adjusted and then watch his behavior --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom