DIY Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoMushu

So my boyfriend and I are going to be making our own cage for our lizard babies but i am wondering about the lighting and which fixture would be best and which products would be best to use that are not harmful. We are thinking of the light fixtures to be ones that will hang inside the cage since they will be made out of an old tv stand. What do you all think of zillia products? :?:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A DIY tank is a good idea. I'd make it at least 4'x2'x2' but go larger if you have the room to do so. I would make it tall and build in branches to allow for lots of climbing like taterbug's setup https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

A socket fixture will allow you to mount a halogen basking light overhead. I would also use a T5 22'' fixture for UVB like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ Those two side by side over a main basking area should give you an excellent basic setup and you can add from there if you want to.

As far as building material goes, I would use a non treated plywood. Melamine is popular but it's quite heavy. A good quality plywood should do nicely and then you can stain it and seal it with polyurethane or paint it with a non toxic paint to protect it from moisture.

There are a LOT of options that are good so you can get really creative. Check the DIY and enclosures sections for some ideas. I'd go along this route to start with though and be sure to invest in high quality lighting as a priority in the budget.

CocoMushu

Original Poster
We have a oak tv stand that we will be using but of course we will be sanding it down and staining it. As far as the flooring i am using tile so that its easier to clean. Thank you on the advice for the light fixtures. How do you feel about zilla products? I have read that they are not good especially the bulbs.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not crazy about a lot of the zilla products. Some of their cage decor is OK. I don't like their lighting from what I've seen of it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":15gvfpwz said:
I'm not crazy about a lot of the zilla products. Some of their cage decor is OK. I don't like their lighting from what I've seen of it.

Zilla's fittings are probably OK , BUT NOT their UV tubes and compacts …. very dodgey manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom