DIY Cage Made From Pallets! Pics up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johne28

I love this idea! I'm going to actually try and build one similar to this! Great job! Did you use ply wood for the floor or more pallet boards?!

stevo3034

Original Poster
Johne28":3knph6mn said:
I love this idea! I'm going to actually try and build one similar to this! Great job! Did you use ply wood for the floor or more pallet boards?!
I used ply wood for the floor yes and then like stick tile.

Johne28

stevo3034":2w05iiz7 said:
Johne28":2w05iiz7 said:

Awesome! Thank you. I'm taking apart the pallets now. Hopefully it turns out half as good as yours!

stevo3034

Original Poster
Johne28":gjnn1q12 said:
stevo3034":gjnn1q12 said:
Johne28":gjnn1q12 said:

Awesome! Thank you. I'm taking apart the pallets now. Hopefully it turns out half as good as yours!
Oh and make sure you measure it so it will fit through your door! XD I forgot to and I have about just a inch on each side almost wasn't able to get it in house lol

jswjimmy

Ok I've noticed no one else mentioned this as a warning for others so I will. Do not use pallets for kids or pet projects. They are designed to be cheap and last a long time not safe to build with. They normally use southern yellow pine which is toxic to beardies alone and then treated in a simalar manor to pressure treated wood which makes them toxic to humans if in close contact as well. They are attractive because they are cheap (sometimes free) and easy to find but just don't let the temptation sway you. There not even safe to burn which most people use them for. If you want to use them for projects like a kids fort or bon fired only use ones marked "HT" for heat treated; otherwise there will be a ton of nasty chemicals in it.

jswjimmy

A general rule to go by is if you got the pallet in the USA don't use it; 90+% of them are treated. If you need untreated ones be ready to pay a premium or drive to Canada.

stevo3034

Original Poster
jswjimmy":2z5zd9ym said:
Ok I've noticed no one else mentioned this as a warning for others so I will. Do not use pallets for kids or pet projects. They are designed to be cheap and last a long time not safe to build with. They normally use southern yellow pine which is toxic to beardies alone and then treated in a simalar manor to pressure treated wood which makes them toxic to humans if in close contact as well. They are attractive because they are cheap (sometimes free) and easy to find but just don't let the temptation sway you. There not even safe to burn which most people use them for. If you want to use them for projects like a kids fort or bon fired only use ones marked "HT" for heat treated; otherwise there will be a ton of nasty chemicals in it.
I was worried about that when I was building it. But I Sade's them all down to get all the dirt and anything else off the surface of them. My dragon has not shown one signof any sickness. So I'm not to worried about it. He'll everything is basically toxic to humans but we other still use it and still eat it and 90+% of us are still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom