Disinfectant questions (pics inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys was wondering the best way to disinfect the enclosure and decor

I have a hide that I want to use temporarily till I can find one that I can use it is my brothers and he used it for one of his snakes and they at a point had mites. No idea if it was before/after they had mites so I wanna do a deep clean it's made of hard resin and I do NOT want to transfer anything to my beardies. It's just gonna serve as something to perch on to collect the UVB I'm removing a hide that has caused eye problems for my beardies. I did have the F 10 disinfectant not sure if i can use that or not also I was wondering about spot cleaning and disinfectant I have a mat for substrate and I use hot water and clean it asap

NOTE: pic of the hide

Attachments

• 20220313_130130.jpg
    20220313_130130.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 108

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys was wondering the best way to disinfect the enclosure and decor

I have a hide that I want to use temporarily till I can find one that I can use it is my brothers and he used it for one of his snakes and they at a point had mites. No idea if it was before/after they had mites so I wanna do a deep clean it's made of hard resin and I do NOT want to transfer anything to my beardies. It's just gonna serve as something to perch on to collect the UVB I'm removing a hide that has caused eye problems for my beardies. I did have the F 10 disinfectant not sure if i can use that or not also I was wondering about spot cleaning and disinfectant I have a mat for substrate and I use hot water and clean it asap

NOTE: pic of the hide
I would spray the F10 on it let it sit for 10 minutes - you can rinse it if you want -the F10 should take care of the mites - some others on here might have some more advice
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'd be reluctant to use something that had mites on it, if somehow any of them survive you'll have a possible infestation and a huge headache. A beardie doesn't technically need a hide, you can actually just use a nice log for basking .

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'd be reluctant to use something that had mites on it, if somehow any of them survive you'll have a possible infestation and a huge headache. A beardie doesn't technically need a hide, you can actually just use a nice log for basking .
I had a nice giant hide/half log but it was falling a part since it was real wood and caused my Chubbs to have eye irritation so I sent it back. I have been trying to find a very large one rather than a dinky one so they can bask and get the UVB and/or rub on when they get itchy/shed. I'll take a look and find one I would only be using this hide to bask on not live inside my beardies are way to big to fit in it lol

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your beardie can still get mites if there are any left on the snake hide even if it's just used for basking. The best way to kill the mites would be to boil the decor for 15-20 minutes if you have a large enough pot, put on a slow boil. For a basking log you can even use a log from outside if you can find one. An outside log can be baked in a 250 degree preheated oven for about 75 minutes to sterilize it.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Your beardie can still get mites if there are any left on the snake hide even if it's just used for basking. The best way to kill the mites would be to boil the decor for 15-20 minutes if you have a large enough pot, put on a slow boil. For a basking log you can even use a log from outside if you can find one. An outside log can be baked in a 250 degree preheated oven for about 75 minutes to sterilize it.
This is what I wanted lol I had a bunch of nice driftwood pieces but they end up getting dusty quickly and not the best size for my beardies anymore I ordered this. It is for turtles but I have used many things suited for other species it'll just be under the UVB for now as a platform till I can find other natural pieces

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220315-113916(1).jpg
    Screenshot_20220315-113916(1).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 87

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yeah, that'll work fine as long as he can bask close enough to the lights. Can you post pics of his enclosure ?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh yeah, that'll work fine as long as he can bask close enough to the lights. Can you post pics of his enclosure ?
This is a older pic I added a log a new seagrass hammock new basking platform and waiting on more things to add in there also she has a T5 bulb 12% and is the length of the cage now. The light in the pic is a T8 and the pix was when i first got the enclosure I'll take a updated pic and post it im currently not home

Attachments

• 20211104_145052.jpg
    20211104_145052.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 82

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That looks pretty good, is the uvb mounted inside or on top of the screen ?
It's inside the enclosure the mesh top filters way to much UVB so I was advised to mount it inside it would make it much easier if it was on top. Mounting it inside is a hassle but that's the best way to give them the UVB they need so it needed to be done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom