Discolored skin shedding

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi I have a 7-10 month old named toothless I have never had a problem with him shedding in fact all of the rest of his body has shed and the base of his tail has been taking longer maybe like a week now but I noticed the skin under it is discolored I’ve had him since august and I’ve never seen them all I do is give him soaks to help, what do I do what does this look like?! There’s only a couple scales showing but they are kind of pinkish compared to everything else

Attachments

• 030D65F8-5BA7-4D76-8128-275AC3D75D8F.jpg
    030D65F8-5BA7-4D76-8128-275AC3D75D8F.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 106

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That color looks pretty normal to me. The scales can often appear pinkish to bluish/purplish before
shed. When they get older, their shedding phases do change & can look different than when they
were younger.
Does it seem to be bothering him at all?
You can get some aloe vera gel to put on it to help moisturize it a little if needed.

Tracie

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

That color looks pretty normal to me. The scales can often appear pinkish to bluish/purplish before
shed. When they get older, their shedding phases do change & can look different than when they
were younger.
You can get some aloe vera gel to put on it to help moisturize it a little if needed.

Tracie
Hello,

were younger.

Tracie
It’s not bothering him any more then normal shed I don’t think, I’ve never had this happen before it normally comes right off, especially with a soak I’ve given him soaks the past two days and it doesn’t even seem to soften, his back legs started like a week after his tail and they finished already, and it’s not flaking at all, and the only thing I’ve changed is I moved him from a 40 gal to a 75 about a week and a half ago

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That can definitely be frustrating! I would give it a bit more time. Try some aloe vera gel, or even a bit
of coconut oil on the area to see if that helps soften it up some. Is his humidity too low?

Tracie

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

That can definitely be frustrating! I would give it a bit more time. Try some aloe vera gel, or even a bit
of coconut oil on the area to see if that helps soften it up some. Is his humidity too low?

Tracie
No it shouldn’t be I mean if you want me to be honest, his hydrometer broke when I was setting up the new cage so I don’t know what it is really and I haven’t been able to run and get one, but I have been misting his cage since he’s shedding and he has a large water bowl in there at all times

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No it shouldn’t be I mean if you want me to be honest, his hydrometer broke when I was setting up the new cage so I don’t know what it is really and I haven’t been able to run and get one, but I have been misting his cage since he’s shedding and he has a large water bowl in there at all times
Please get a digital probe hygrometer place it on the back center wall of the tank - humidity is extremely important to help them shed --- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Please get a digital probe hygrometer place it on the back center wall of the tank - humidity is extremely important to help them shed --- optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%
I know thank you. I had one but when I was setting down his new tank I didn’t realize I set the hydrometer down on the stand and I crushed it under the corner 😓 I’ve just been waiting to go to the pet store

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As they grow they take longer to shed and it's perfectly normal. Shedding questions are brought up in beardie forums all the time because of this but the beardies are in no danger. Don't worry too much about the hygrometer, your dragon will be fine. I've had many dragons and they do the same thing. No need to worry at all. :)

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
As they grow they take longer to shed and it's perfectly normal. Shedding questions are brought up in beardie forums all the time because of this but the beardies are in no danger. Don't worry too much about the hygrometer, your dragon will be fine. I've had many dragons and they do the same thing. No need to worry at all. :)
Thank you 🥺 I’m a bit of a helicopter mom when it comes to my animals if I see one thing I’m not used to I freak out, and my beardie is extra new I feel like I can do copious amounts of research and I see feel like I know nothing about them

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's O.K, hang out around here and you'll learn everything you need. Everyone should be alert to problems and it's always good to ask but owning them is enjoyable so try not to worry too much !

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom