Digging in new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I just relocated my beard into a 120 tank. He seems okay, no glass surfing or stress marks yet. That being said he has been digging under the blankets in his hide. I know this can be a sign of brumation and also being gravid (he is actually female). Anyways, I'm leaving for 4 days tonight and I'm wondering how worried I should be. He is 11.5 months old, female sex, and I check for the "bumpy" feeling of eggs in his belly sometimes but I have never felt anything and don't feel anything now. I haven't changed his light schedule for brumation because he has not stopped eating, basking or pooping.

Should I be concerned about leaving for 4 days because of the digging? If he becomes gravid will he be okay until I get back? Is it maybe just relocation stress?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
He currently has kind of buried himself in the blankets, its the middle of the day.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, everything should be fine, they probably are going in to brumation or just a short period of inactivity. Adult + sub adult beardies will do both this time of year.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Okay, he is still eating the same amount and right now gets 13 hrs of lights on or day light. I haven't changed his lights because he is still eating a lot. Should I keep doing that or should I be feeding him less and giving less light? After I feed him he pretty much just goes back into his hide and doesn't bask (his hide is on the warm side though so its not cold). So I'm also worried he isn't basking enough for good digestion. He has been pooping every 3-5 days and he used to poop every 2 days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, it's fine to feed her. Can you post pics of her in her tank ? Be sure to check in her hide or if there's a blanket in her cage to see if she might have laid eggs, just in case.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
120 gal tank, it's only his second week in a new tank too. I plan to put the UVB on the inside I just need zip ties but its a new T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb. No eggs, I hind of have to get him out of bed in the morning to eat so I'm always looking in the hide. Once he sees the bugs he is very interested in food though.

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7424.jpeg
    IMG_7424.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 82

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
More digging this morning. I just want to know how to make sure he’s not gravid because if he is, isn’t it dangerous and don’t I need to get him a dig box with wet sand??? I’ve felt for lumps in the belly, but is that a full-proof method?

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
He mostly just digs to get under his blanket in his hide… so maybe it’s a brumation thing… I just don’t want to ignore it if he’s gravid. Here he is under his blanket in the hide.

Attachments

• 671B8BAA-FC26-402A-A5B7-76609FD7AA70.jpeg
    671B8BAA-FC26-402A-A5B7-76609FD7AA70.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 341C36A1-7361-46CC-A637-F00A9B80287D.jpeg
    341C36A1-7361-46CC-A637-F00A9B80287D.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 83

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Also, at this point he is a little constipated, hasn’t pooped in 5 days. I’ll give him a bath later to see if that helps.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice looking enclosure ! Everything sounds normal for a beardie moved to a new tank. Some dragons get a little relocation stress but your girl is fine if she's eating and will probably poo when you give her a nice warm soak. If not, add a little baby food squash or sweet potato to her diet. Be sure that your temps. are all good and she should be fine, even if she hides + digs for a while.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Well now he’s only eating bugs. Having a very hard time getting him to eat salad and he’s not usually too picky as long as I mix a little zucchini in… has still been napping all day and not basking. Should I stop waking him up for food if he’s only sleeping? He seems okay when he’s awake but that’s pretty much only if I wake him up for food or window time or bath.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I just woke him up to bask a little. I don’t know if I should be disturbing him but I feel like he needs to digest at least a little after eating 3 roaches today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 75

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's better since you fed her but you can just lay off the food now and let her stay in the cave for a while. Take her out in about a week and put her in warm water for about 10 minutes during the day. to see if she'll poo but don't be worried if she doesn't. Do the same after another week if se doesn't come out on her own.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Should I make a lay box in the inclosure just in case?? I don’t want him to become egg-bound and die.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can but she's just as likely to lay them in the cave because she feels secure and can dig and scratch around. BTW, it's best to call her a she, if you take her to a vet that is not good at determining the gender [ which we see here at times ] and you keep calling her a male, that can end up with problems with charts + records and future health care for her as well as people answering here. Just a thought. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom