Digging in new enclosure

clyde612

Hatchling Member
I just relocated my beard into a 120 tank. He seems okay, no glass surfing or stress marks yet. That being said he has been digging under the blankets in his hide. I know this can be a sign of brumation and also being gravid (he is actually female). Anyways, I'm leaving for 4 days tonight and I'm wondering how worried I should be. He is 11.5 months old, female sex, and I check for the "bumpy" feeling of eggs in his belly sometimes but I have never felt anything and don't feel anything now. I haven't changed his light schedule for brumation because he has not stopped eating, basking or pooping.

Should I be concerned about leaving for 4 days because of the digging? If he becomes gravid will he be okay until I get back? Is it maybe just relocation stress?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, everything should be fine, they probably are going in to brumation or just a short period of inactivity. Adult + sub adult beardies will do both this time of year.

clyde612

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, he is still eating the same amount and right now gets 13 hrs of lights on or day light. I haven't changed his lights because he is still eating a lot. Should I keep doing that or should I be feeding him less and giving less light? After I feed him he pretty much just goes back into his hide and doesn't bask (his hide is on the warm side though so its not cold). So I'm also worried he isn't basking enough for good digestion. He has been pooping every 3-5 days and he used to poop every 2 days.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, it's fine to feed her. Can you post pics of her in her tank ? Be sure to check in her hide or if there's a blanket in her cage to see if she might have laid eggs, just in case.

clyde612

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
120 gal tank, it's only his second week in a new tank too. I plan to put the UVB on the inside I just need zip ties but its a new T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb. No eggs, I hind of have to get him out of bed in the morning to eat so I'm always looking in the hide. Once he sees the bugs he is very interested in food though.

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7424.jpeg
    IMG_7424.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom