Dig Box for a senior beardie

enenami

Beardie name(s)
Rex
Hey y'all! I need help making a dig spot.

I'm taking care of a senior beardie, he's about 11-12 (I got him from someone who neglected him so I don't know a lot of things about him for sure). I had to take out his last substrate (sand) because he got severely impacted (healed now after a lot of treatment), and I ordered tile but it'll take a few more days to deliver and cut. Right now he's on paper towels, but he keeps tearing at them from digging and I want to give him a dig spot. The problem is, he eats everything *except* his food. He gave himself diarrhea from overdrinking and kept digging trying to tear up his paper towels. I'm hoping a dig box will soothe him, but I don't want anything that can hurt him if he decides to ingest it like his old substrate. Any ideas?

Thanks!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please go over your lighting, he really shouldn't be acting like that. Also are you sure he isn't a she, and maybe gravid?

enenami

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Please go over your lighting, he really shouldn't be acting like that. Also are you sure he isn't a she, and maybe gravid?
He's probably a boy; I don't have 100% certainty because the last owner never took him to a vet. I've been told he's never laid eggs before, so I'm almost positive. He's never interacted with another beardied dragon before.
He's got a reptisun 5.0 UVB tube bulb, 24W. T5 HO, if that helps. Its on half the day, 7-8am to 6-7pm. He's got a ceramic heat emitter for his basking spot, averages about 100-105F, on all day and night. Please let me know if you need any more info, I'm kind of new to bearded dragon care.

enenami

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
He might be starting brumation. I don't know his signs very well, since I'm new to his behavior, but he hasn't been eating a lot. No other signs of distress though, just sleeping anytime and anywhere. I'm unsure if it's his age as a factor or actual brumation that's making him so tired.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Work with @KarrieRee for the distance on the 5.0 bulb, it's going to need to be closer than a 10.0 but im not sure how close

enenami

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Update: Fixing the light seems to have got him to start eating regular food again. I'm still planning to look into a dig box for him, but he's doing a bit better.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom