Diet for a beardie with gout

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello, I have a beardie recently diagnosed with gout. I think I have a good diet planned out for him but I'm not sure on the amounts. He is 6 to 7 months old, has gout and weights145g and has been stuck at that weight for awhile now. He eats mustard greens every day or 2 and I've just introduced silk worms which I will give every few days. He also gets Critical Care herbivore and takes about 3 grams or so of that a day. How many total g of food should he be eating daily and how many ML of water? Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, too.
As for the "amount" of food, since he is young & still growing, that is a hard situation. The silkworms
are very good & lower in uric acid levels for him. I would keep his insect intake at 25 or less weekly if
you can, & keep his greens/vegetation up some for help with nutrition.
The critical care amount will vary but since he is growing, you can give some daily, or every other day.
As far as grams, I am not sure as I don't have a label in front of me. You will want him to slowly gainn
weight so he can continue to grow. I would recommend 3-4 mls daily, or every other day. You can
rotate between insects one day, or critical care the next. I guess it will depend a lot on his appetite.
Water intake is important, but don't flood him. In the past, when I have had a dragon with gout, I usually
gave 3-4mls of fluid daily.
I would recommend monitoring his urates, meaning the hardness or density of them. If the urates are
pretty soft, just use your best judgement as to how much fluid that day. It helps to keep them hydrated
to allow the Allopurinol to break up the uric acid & flush it out of the body properly.

I hope this helps out.
Tracie

Vexor1717

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Shenron
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, too.
As for the "amount" of food, since he is young & still growing, that is a hard situation. The silkworms
are very good & lower in uric acid levels for him. I would keep his insect intake at 25 or less weekly if
you can, & keep his greens/vegetation up some for help with nutrition.
The critical care amount will vary but since he is growing, you can give some daily, or every other day.
As far as grams, I am not sure as I don't have a label in front of me. You will want him to slowly gainn
weight so he can continue to grow. I would recommend 3-4 mls daily, or every other day. You can
rotate between insects one day, or critical care the next. I guess it will depend a lot on his appetite.
Water intake is important, but don't flood him. In the past, when I have had a dragon with gout, I usually
gave 3-4mls of fluid daily.
I would recommend monitoring his urates, meaning the hardness or density of them. If the urates are
pretty soft, just use your best judgement as to how much fluid that day. It helps to keep them hydrated
to allow the Allopurinol to break up the uric acid & flush it out of the body properly.

I hope this helps out.
Tracie
Yes this does help. That's more bugs than I would have guessed but if you think that's ok then that's what I'll shoot for. Sounds like you're pretty experienced. Thank you again for taking time to reply

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She is a vet tech lol 😆

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Glad I could help out some.
For the insects, you "can" give a little less. Just monitor his weight to be sure he is maintaining
his weight with less protein.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom