Didn't eat anything today

Status
Not open for further replies.

unleashed

Hi guys

My new 6.5 week old bearded hasn't eaten a thing today and I'm a little worried.

I've had him since Friday and everyday he's eating something. On the first day he ate a few greens plus some crickets (this was the first and last time I've seen him eat any vege).

Each day since then he's had about 4-6 crickets fed twice a day (with the usual supplements for one of those daily feedings).

Yesterday I tried to get him to eat his greens by putting 3 wax moth larvae on them which he ate.

Today he hasn't eaten anything. I've tried putting crickets right in front of him and all he does is snub them. I've even tried the same with wax moth larvae to no avail. He is very fat today.

I don't ever see him drink (even when bathing him) and I don't see him poop. However, he does poop as I find new ones daily (including this morning when I woke up). He also doesn't poop while bathing.

Can someone please help? Or am I simply getting my knickers in a twist?

Temp at the basking spot is 101.3F

I've also noticed him closing each of his eyes a lot.

Thanks

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, it may just be some relocation stress kicking in early, but its good just to over your set up and rule out anything more serious.

What UVB are you using, specifically the brand??
What are you measuring the temperature with??
What is the tank size?
What substrate do you have on the bottom?

Oh and wax worms are very fatty and addictive, so should be a treat if you feed them at all. I dont feed them at all because my female got addicted and it took us ages to get her off them!

unleashed

Original Poster
Buggsy":0fb7f said:
Ok, it may just be some relocation stress kicking in early, but its good just to over your set up and rule out anything more serious.

What UVB are you using, specifically the brand??
What are you measuring the temperature with??
What is the tank size?
What substrate do you have on the bottom?

Oh and wax worms are very fatty and addictive, so should be a treat if you feed them at all. I dont feed them at all because my female got addicted and it took us ages to get her off them!

Sylvania Reptistar 18w w/ UVA and UVB x 2
Reptile One Digital Thermometer
4x2x2
Sand over part of the tank. Although the beardie spends little if any time on the bottom. He only walks over the drift wood and rocks and would rather try and jump between them than go down to the bottom and climb up. He get fed at the sandless end which is separated so that no even 1 grain of sand is in it

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, ive really not heard of that bulb before??

Is it a uVB and UVA??

I know here in the UK the best UVB we can get is the arcadia12% strip bulb, but if you did want an all in one, i would only recommend the Mega ray, which do ship to the UK. In the US you can use either a Megaray, or a Trex, or powersun.

I think he has a little relocation stress, but that also the UVB isnt good. When they dont get enough UVB they will got lethargic, loose their appitite, and will be generally groggy. It can lead to very serious conditions such as MBD. As a basking lizard UVB is essential for them, so its very important we know what bulb it is we use, safe and optimal distances etc. If the manufacturer cannont give you any information reguarding tests using UVB metres (i mean numbers) its safe to say the bulb needs changing.

I would also ditch the sand for now. when they are little they lich everything, and it harbour lots of bacteria, you dont want him getting infected. When they are adults its ok to have a sand 'pit' to play in, i have one, i just make sure i put the lid on whenever i am feeding her, and the veggies get put on the other side of the tank. It also has to get REPLACED every week, not just scooping dirty bits out.

Hope that helps!

unleashed

Original Poster
Well, I just got back from work and he's started eating again. Looks like he was a little pissed off for some reason :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom