Aginther

Beardie name(s)
Gilbert
Hi guys! I am 100% new to keeping bearded dragons. I did a lot of research and set up a bioactive enclosure, gave it a month to get going, and last week brought a baby dragon home from Petco (I know, bad place to do that >_<). Now in my research, I read to not touch them for a week. I leave my hand in the tank for 5-10 minutes in the morning before work, and again in the afternoon. I try feeding him with tongs, to a small degree of success, but usually he will wait until i leave. I have a small video camera set up above his terrarium so I can check in on him. He eats his greens and bugs great, is very curious about his enclosure, and seems to go to his basking spot good. But i noticed his mouth does not open when there. Maybe its nothing but i thought they opened their mouths when basking? Anyway, Today I noticed the stress marks he normally wore were gone so I thought today was the day. I tried to pet him, and he sprinted away. His color is dark and has stress marks. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but it was disheartening. Did I wait too long to try to handle/pet him? Or am I going to fast and should give him a couple more days? Any help is appreciated.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
how long have you had him? it sounds like he is pretty young still so patience is key. what we did was just reach in for a little scratch or pet when we walked by. didn't try to pick him up. eventually he got used to it and now he wants to snuggle all the time! did you go to pet him from above or the side? they have a natural reaction when it is from above. they consider it a predator. for that part just give him some space tonight and then keep doing what you were doing before.

what type of mesh do you have on top of the tank? that will determine the distance the basking decor needs to be under the uvb light. smaller mesh means it needs to be closer than if it is a wider mesh. your temperatures sound good, but a digital probe thermometer is more accurate than an IR temp gun. they don't read well off of certain materials. so the not gaping could be from the temps being just a little off. they don't always do it either. usually when they are the perfect temp and are regulating to stay that way.

eating greens is awesome! a lot of dragons won't eat them when they are young. it is good to always have them in there though so there is an option for munching when desired.

Aginther

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gilbert
how long have you had him? it sounds like he is pretty young still so patience is key. what we did was just reach in for a little scratch or pet when we walked by. didn't try to pick him up. eventually he got used to it and now he wants to snuggle all the time! did you go to pet him from above or the side? they have a natural reaction when it is from above. they consider it a predator. for that part just give him some space tonight and then keep doing what you were doing before.

what type of mesh do you have on top of the tank? that will determine the distance the basking decor needs to be under the uvb light. smaller mesh means it needs to be closer than if it is a wider mesh. your temperatures sound good, but a digital probe thermometer is more accurate than an IR temp gun. they don't read well off of certain materials. so the not gaping could be from the temps being just a little off. they don't always do it either. usually when they are the perfect temp and are regulating to stay that way.

eating greens is awesome! a lot of dragons won't eat them when they are young. it is good to always have them in there though so there is an option for munching when desired.
I've had him exactly a week. I was trying to go over his head for pets, so I probably spooked him. I'll wait until tomorrow and try from the side.

Thank you so so much for the advice! I will look into a digital probe for him. The mesh is smaller so I just want to be extra careful with him and make sure it is the right temp.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh that's probably it then. don't worry, he'll come around.

i'm not sure the exact distance for the small mesh so i'm going to tag someone to work with you on that. she's awesome with that stuff. i myself have a solid top so my light has to be inside the enclosure at 12-15 above the basking spot. the temp and uvb are your most important things for dragon health. they can be a little tricky to get right in the beginning, but once they're right you shouldn't have to mess with it again outside changing bulbs out as they (the bulbs) get older

@KarrieRee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What UVB do you have a T 8 or a T 5? Fine mesh screens UVB need to go inside the tank --- but the distance is going to be different from the T 8 and the T 5-- place the probe on the spot he sits to bask wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp --- babies 105-110 -- juvies/ adult dragons 95-100- you dont need to leave the probe there stick it on the side of the tank and spot check your temps every 10 days or so -- if hes gaping that is good -- hes adjusting his body temp

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
As for handling, all beardies are different. There's no rule of waiting a week, some are fine with handling from day one, others stay skittish for a while . Just be patient but definitely try putting your hand down near him and see if he will climb on it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Like Hdochow said be patient. Babies take a while to calm down. Just keep in mind when you interact with him he is new to the world and he doesn't know how things work yet. Also keep in mind you are a GIANT to him. It takes work and patience to earn their trust. Another piece of advise, when you are finally handling him he is gonna want to escape and/or be back in his habitat. Don't do it, gently hold him, let him run hand over hand, be calm but wait him out. If you put him back every time he acts up you will reinforce that behavior.
One more thought, babies jump, try handling him inside his habitat until he is not trying to jump from you. Even after be wary they can leap in a heartbeat.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As for handling, all beardies are different. There's no rule of waiting a week, some are fine with handling from day one, others stay skittish for a while . Just be patient but definitely try putting your hand down near him and see if he will climb on it.
You and Karrieree always post while im still typing and i look like a copy cat lol. But since i feel like a copy cat i must be giving decent advise :cool:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
You and Karrieree always post while im still typing and i look like a copy cat lol. But since i feel like a copy cat i must be giving decent advise :cool:
ha ha! been there myself :LOL:

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Some great advice so far. Some can take weeks to adjust after a big change. One other thing you can try is putting a piece of clothing or fleece or something that has your smell on it in the enclosure somewhere. I used to use a t-shirt as a sort of bedding material inside his hide. It will help get them used to your smell.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I experienced the same and like @smaugthebeardie3756 mentioned, the clothing helped a lot. I still have fleece in her carrier (in fairness, I am traveling so I want her to feel comfortable). I really didn't think Rocky was going to take to me- most of it was me because I can count how many times she was skiddish but trust me, it's going to be so worth it.

Eating---some beardies simply don't like to be watched when they eat. That may not change or they may watch you to see if you are watching and try to sneak bites in between. LOL Rocky used to do that but now she simply doesn't care. Rocky's set up is in my room so she realized she was going to have to give in or be really hungry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Lol no, both your + Hdochow's advice is spot on, you said much of what I was thinking but too tired [ lazy] to type out. Your answers included more details. :)

Aginther

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gilbert
What UVB do you have a T 8 or a T 5? Fine mesh screens UVB need to go inside the tank --- but the distance is going to be different from the T 8 and the T 5-- place the probe on the spot he sits to bask wait 10 minutes or so then get the temp --- babies 105-110 -- juvies/ adult dragons 95-100- you dont need to leave the probe there stick it on the side of the tank and spot check your temps every 10 days or so -- if hes gaping that is good -- hes adjusting his body temp
Thank you so much for the advice! I have a reptizoo t5 HO. I'll work on fixing it inside the tank tomorrow morning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom