Did I cause my beardie to brumate at only 8 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koa’s keeper

Beardie name(s)
Koa
A month ago I changed a lot of things in Kia’s environment. He went from a 40 gallon tank to a 4x2x2 zen habitat enclosure. He had a red basking light that was on day and night but I was told it was bad for his eyes so I put a 100 watt flood light for basking during the day and turn it off at night. He has started putting himself to sleep at 7pm and won’t really move much in the morning unless I physically pick him up and put him on his basking rock. I noticed he even falls asleep on his rock when basking and doesn’t want to eat greens. He however leaps off his rock when Dubia are offered and devours them. He’s definitely more subdued when I let him out and finds a place to to hide and try’s to sleep. He’s also pooping right off his rock where before he would find a separate place. I’m really not sure what to do at this point. Should I just let him sleep and not move him in the morning. He was checked out and dewormed recently by a Vet so I don’t think he’s sick. He just seems to want to sleep but t he’s so young. Any advice would be so appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A month ago I changed a lot of things in Kia’s environment. He went from a 40 gallon tank to a 4x2x2 zen habitat enclosure. He had a red basking light that was on day and night but I was told it was bad for his eyes so I put a 100 watt flood light for basking during the day and turn it off at night. He has started putting himself to sleep at 7pm and won’t really move much in the morning unless I physically pick him up and put him on his basking rock. I noticed he even falls asleep on his rock when basking and doesn’t want to eat greens. He however leaps off his rock when Dubia are offered and devours them. He’s definitely more subdued when I let him out and finds a place to to hide and try’s to sleep. He’s also pooping right off his rock where before he would find a separate place. I’m really not sure what to do at this point. Should I just let him sleep and not move him in the morning. He was checked out and dewormed recently by a Vet so I don’t think he’s sick. He just seems to want to sleep but t he’s so young. Any advice would be so appreciated.
What are your surface basking temps? Is he a baby or a juvenile around 5-6 months? these will vary depending on age that is why I am asking-basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer please --- Next what are you using for uvb? You want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 and it should be inside the tank -- one we get these things adjusted if needed we can work on getting him to eat his greens --

Koa’s keeper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Koa
What are your surface basking temps? Is he a baby or a juvenile around 5-6 months? these will vary depending on age that is why I am asking-basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer please --- Next what are you using for uvb? You want a long tube fixture like a Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 and it should be inside the tank -- one we get these things adjusted if needed we can work on getting him to eat his greens --
I put all the info in my profile not sure if you can see it . Temps are 100-105 he 8-9 months Reptisun T5 high output tube in tank I’m 100 w Arcadia Flood light I use an infrared temp gun. There’s a pic of my set in there too

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I put all the info in my profile not sure if you can see it . Temps are 100-105 he 8-9 months Reptisun T5 high output tube in tank I’m 100 w Arcadia Flood light I use an infrared temp gun. There’s a pic of my set in there too
I would get 2 digital probe thermometers for your tank - one to use on the basking side for actual surface basking temps sometimes the IR guns can be off by certain materials used - what is the distance from the UVB to his basking decor piece? It should be 12-15 inches directly above it --

Koa’s keeper

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Koa
I put all the info in my profile not sure if you can see it . Temps are 100-105 he 8-9 months Reptisun
I would get 2 digital probe thermometers for your tank - one to use on the basking side for actual surface basking temps sometimes the IR guns can be off by certain materials used - what is the distance from the UVB to his basking decor piece? It should be 12-15 inches directly above it --

12 inches basks on zoomed rock retains heat very well. When he had a red light he had heat all day and night. The Arcadia is very bright wmmm but it’s off at night. Gets to around 68-70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom