Diarrhea

Status
Not open for further replies.

03sinclairp

Original Poster
yes i sure will, i know the exact temps at either end of my tank just not directly under the spot lamp and the ranges are good and in the limits of what everybody is telling me i will be sure to get the basking spot measured carnt reely do it till 2morrow as it is night time here in england so its off n the dragen is asleep would be abit harsh to get it all started up. and i will go get sum vit dust and that so ill update in a few hours when i get back up for work :( :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's a pic of the calcium & vitamins so you know what to look for: http://www.petmountain.com/product/supplements/105551/rep-cal-ultrafine-calcium-with-vitamin-d3.html
No, it wouldn't be a good idea to wake your beardie, he would surely not be happy with that. :shock:
What's the most important IS the temp right under the basking light, right on the basking log or rock and of course the exact temp on the cool side.

Could you do me a favor, remove the red basking light in the morning & replace with a 75 watt white household lightbulb? Hope you have one around. I have a feeling the red one is too harsh on his eyes & even a little too hot. I'll bet you'll notice a difference in that alone.

03sinclairp

Original Poster
well i should be able to pick up a white spot light on my visit to the pet shop tomorrow morning but if not i defo will

and thanks again for all the help i will let you know how things pan out

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, a spot lamp might be too hot and you don't want that until you know exactly what the basking temp is. Too high temps cause quick dehydration & if he has diarrhea, will make it happen even faster. I suggest just using a standard 75 watt household lightbulb, then recheck the temps.

Glad I could help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, As Diane suggested, a regular household lightbulb works well for a basking light, or you can even get a halogen. I would definitely like for you to get a digital probe or a temp gun first before getting any higher wattage lightbulbs for basking just to make sure it is not too hot for him.
Has his eating improved?
Unfortunately the Reptiglo is not the best light but I understand about finances. If you cannot replace it right now, just use it according to Diane's instructions. Don't let him get any closer than 10 inches from it. When it is time to replace it try getting the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, it is much better.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

03sinclairp

Original Poster
today has been fantastic he has done a huge poo solid bigger that him he ate sum greens and a load of crickets and he likes the new calcium powder hes got i put the thermometer probe under the spot its self and you were right it was miles to high 140 summit so no wunder he wont sit under it so iv lowerd that but now wont the overall tank temperature drop how do i sort this. its now at 105 under the spot i think this was due to the fact i had my themostat temperature prob miles away from the spot so it kept kicking out heat till it had traveled over to it

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's good that he had a large poo and of a normal consistency too. Also great that he ate some greens and crickets dusted with calcium. So, the basking temp was WAY too high, I suspected that and it certainly is the reason why he wouldn't lay under that bulb. What wattage bulb was it that gave you the 140 reading? What wattage do you have in now? Now you need to find out what the cool side temp is by laying the probe end right on the opposite side where it's the coolest, wait about 45 min for the temp to stop rising and then you will have the final cool side temp. If that temp is 78 or lower, then you will need to get a small clamp lamp holder and put a lower wattage household lightbulb there and you might only need a 25 or 40 watt depending on how cool it is. Once you get the basking & cool side temps perfect, the temp in the rest of the tank will even out. The ambient temps aren't as important as the basking & cool temps. Do you now have the UVB and basking bulb alongside each other and the Repti-Glo 10.0 about 10" from your beardie? That's very important to prevent eye damage, etc until you can replace it with the recommended Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent.

03sinclairp

Original Poster
its 85 in the cool side and at night drops to about 78 i was using a red 100w bulb now its a white 75w yes there is plenty of space between the beardy and the uv unless he goes climbing and sits closer which he does often do but i carnt really do much about that.

so at the moment all is good i am so releived and would like to thankyou for all your help.

thanks again peter

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad we could help Peter. :wink: The temp of 85 on the cool side is just a little bit too high, could you maybe slide the basking bulb just a little bit to the opposite side to try to get the temp to drop down just a couple degrees? That's good that you're using a bright white bulb now & I'll bet you'll notice his appetite & activity level increasing. If you could figure out a way to prevent him from getting closer than 10" to the Repti-Glo, that would be best. Don't want to scare you, but have to be honest & let you know that the bulb is very dangerous. Some beardies have had some major problems with it, some unfortunately have not survived. :cry: So, please reconsider the positioning of the bulb. Thanks for the update.

One more thing I just thought of, since the basking temp was way too high before, be sure to keep him very well hydrated and even bathing 2 times a day for 3 days or so would help replenish his fluids.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Peter,

Wow it was way too hot, no wonder he was having trouble. I am glad you went & got the digital probe & measured his temps. It sounds like he is doing much better now.
Great you got some new calcium supplements also. That will help alot, too.
Yes, please do keep the UVB light 10 inches from him, & place the basking light directly beside the UVB as well. :D

Tracie

03sinclairp

Original Poster
Hi yes thanks to you as well. i carnt really move the light any higher beacuase its a strip uv flouesant thats clipped to the ceiling of the viv but i can proberly move his log so he carnt climb as high. the basking light can go anywere and be near the uv because the uv spans the whole length of the viv.

03sinclairp

Original Poster
i have nothing to measure with at this time but at a guess i would say 8-9 inches tops but its a bigger gap than what i thort .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is ok, as long as your basking light is right beside it to protect his eyes. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom