Diarrhea

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
What are the main causes of diarrhea in beardies. I haven't fixed anything in her diet she doesn't have a black beard at all, no stress marks, white belly :), she has her same energy shes normal but her bowl movements are verrryyy watery. at first it was kinda like, its hard to explain I should've taken pics, but it was like not watery but it wasnt solid, it was more like dumped out instead of a good poop form. Now she kinda has the normal poop form but still very watery and her urate is also watery. The ONLY 2 things ive changed is giving her a little more calcium because I was really slacking on my part with the calcium but I started getting way better at that awhile ago and give her it like 3 times a week, and Ive been giving her more hornworms in a day because they're starting to get to big for her to eat so instead of 1-2 in a day shell get 3-4 because I'm trying to get her to eat them before they're to big to were I cant. I don't know if hornworms hold like a lot of.. water and its coming out that way orrr i dont know. Just making sure shes okay, cant get her into the vet until 2 weeks and its really cold here like snow here so I would not like to but if I have to I will I just dont want to stress her out.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
What are the main causes of diarrhea in beardies. I haven't fixed anything in her diet she doesn't have a black beard at all, no stress marks, white belly :), she has her same energy shes normal but her bowl movements are verrryyy watery. at first it was kinda like, its hard to explain I should've taken pics, but it was like not watery but it wasnt solid, it was more like dumped out instead of a good poop form. Now she kinda has the normal poop form but still very watery and her urate is also watery. The ONLY 2 things ive changed is giving her a little more calcium because I was really slacking on my part with the calcium but I started getting way better at that awhile ago and give her it like 3 times a week, and Ive been giving her more hornworms in a day because they're starting to get to big for her to eat so instead of 1-2 in a day shell get 3-4 because I'm trying to get her to eat them before they're to big to were I cant. I don't know if hornworms hold like a lot of.. water and its coming out that way orrr i dont know. Just making sure shes okay, cant get her into the vet until 2 weeks and its really cold here like snow here so I would not like to but if I have to I will I just dont want to stress her out.
Ive heard that hornworms are very very watery so it might be that but im not a pro so I would def wait for more responses before deciding what u think it is

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Ive heard that hornworms are very very watery so it might be that but im not a pro so I would def wait for more responses before deciding what u think it is
Thats what I was thinking because it def started when I started feeding her more hornworms, and I think at one point I fed her one that was def to big but she ate it fine, bad parent of me, I shouldn't have done that because it could have ended not so well but all the hornworms is what I was thinking but I'll def see if anyone else has another thought

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That would be the horn worms - they are a hydrating worm - see if the watery stools get more solid after a day or two when finished

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just curious how your dragon was doing? Did your dragon's loose stools clear up any?

Tracie

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Hello,

Just curious how your dragon was doing? Did your dragon's loose stools clear up any?

Tracie
they did after all the hornworms but there solid partly but veryyy watery instead of diarrhea. It smells god awfullll. and her basking temp is hot enough but i still see uneaten BSFL

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Watery poo is from hornworms, they aren't really to be a staple but it's no harm for a short time. The bsfl can often come out whole and alive, it's even on the website. I don't care for the bsfl as a feeder for my dragons , especially adults. If they aren't digested they contributed zero in a nutritional way.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Watery poo is from hornworms, they aren't really to be a staple but it's no harm for a short time. The bsfl can often come out whole and alive, it's even on the website. I don't care for the bsfl as a feeder for my dragons , especially adults. If they aren't digested they contributed zero in a nutritional way.
shes about 7 months, i saw someone on here say that there beardie wasnt digesting there BSFL so they started hand feeding them indiv. Mollie eats really fast and picks up like 3 BSFL in one bite so im wo dering if shes just swallowing and not really chewing, could that be it? i feed her 1-2 hours before turning her lights off so she has time, theyre dead when they come out but are whole, and is that why her bowel movements smell sooooo baddd, is bc there not being digested properly?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, if they swallow them whole it's more likely to come out whole. Anything can cause bad smelling poo, so no way to know for sure if it's the current diet. BTW, try feeding earlier, 1 hour is not enough time and 2 hours is barely enough for digestion. Bigger meals earlier in the day is always better, even early in the a.m.

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Yeah, if they swallow them whole it's more likely to come out whole. Anything can cause bad smelling poo, so no way to know for sure if it's the current diet. BTW, try feeding earlier, 1 hour is not enough time and 2 hours is barely enough for digestion. Bigger meals earlier in the day is always better, even early in the a.m.
so do you feed yours once a day? or twice? may i ask what the diet is for your and what time they get fed? just to have an idea :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Mine are almost 11 yrs. old so they get fed once a day. One of them eats more veggies than the other so he runs for his bowl ASAP no matter what's in it. I feed spring mix + sometimes mustard, turnip or kale greens. For insects it's crickets or superworms. Hornworms once in a while for a treat. I give them insects 3-4 X a week. I usually feed them somewhere between 10:00 a.m and 6:00 pm., lights are on from 8 a.m to 9 p.m

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Mine are almost 11 yrs. old so they get fed once a day. One of them eats more veggies than the other so he runs for his bowl ASAP no matter what's in it. I feed spring mix + sometimes mustard, turnip or kale greens. For insects it's crickets or superworms. Hornworms once in a while for a treat. I give them insects 3-4 X a week. I usually feed them somewhere between 10:00 a.m and 6:00 pm., lights are on from 8 a.m to 9 p.m
So mine is 7 months, i always have BSFL, wax worms, horn worms, and dubias in my room. I supply her fresh kale everyday, she wont eat anything else but kale, she doesnt like any fixings like carrots, squash, bell peppers, she doesnt really like fruit shes very picky, should i feed her a heavy meal only once a day or? whats your suggestion?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom