Diarrhea and now napping during day

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Tried maybe 6 times to get the injection in. No luck. He’s back in his hide now and all that happened is that I upset him and myself :/

I’m also wondering if this needle size is appropriate. It seems kind of big when I’m putting it into his tiny arm muscle.

Attachments

• 013971A1-AE04-4FAC-9CF6-3B648543B924.jpeg
    013971A1-AE04-4FAC-9CF6-3B648543B924.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 787B2157-35B0-416B-BB7E-E3480BC58A1C.jpeg
    787B2157-35B0-416B-BB7E-E3480BC58A1C.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Well the brumation activity has continued. I tried to give him the 3rd shot today and I’m bawling because I can’t get it to work it won’t go in and he just runs away. He doesn’t understand and he just thinks I want to hurt him :( I got it to go in once but it came right back out. Didn’t get any medication in. How am I supposed to do this every 3 days for a month??? He’s going to just be scared of me. And I have to distrust his brumation just to get him up for it.
I am so sorry that you are going through this. I don't even know what to say because you are me...I would be the same way but I know some of the other awesome members will be able to assist you. Please hang in there - he needs you. He doesn't understand but he will be thankful once he feels better.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I am so sad hearing this, that poor lil guy and poor you also. For the life of me i can't understand why a friggen vet would send anyone home with shots to administer, isn't that what we pay them for? And you know we ALL went to medical school BAH. I truely am sorry you both are going through this.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I am so sad hearing this, that poor lil guy and poor you also. For the life of me i can't understand why a friggen vet would send anyone home with shots to administer, isn't that what we pay them for? And you know we ALL went to medical school BAH. I truely am sorry you both are going through this.
That's a good point. @clyde612 perhaps you can call the vet and tell them that you are having difficulty administering the medication. There may be an alternative solution than YOU administering the solution and especially for the stated timeframe. Good luck.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well the brumation activity has continued. I tried to give him the 3rd shot today and I’m bawling because I can’t get it to work it won’t go in and he just runs away. He doesn’t understand and he just thinks I want to hurt him :( I got it to go in once but it came right back out. Didn’t get any medication in. How am I supposed to do this every 3 days for a month??? He’s going to just be scared of me. And I have to distrust his brumation just to get him up for it.
Flagging to Tracie our vet tech
@Drache613

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I would prefer they do it. The issue is it’s every 3 days for a month and the drive takes an hour round-trip… and Clyde is now brumating. It would be at least an hour and a half of being forced to be awake for him and for an entire month. Not to mention the gas. Luckily I do have the free time though.

When Clyde needed to get surgery the injections were once a week. Why wouldn’t that be an option now? And I already contacted the vet but I think they’re closed today. Hopefully will hear something tomorrow. I’m not even sure if the antibiotics are going to solve the root of the issue because it’s not clear what’s causing the white blood cells to be “active.”

The first time I injected and it DID work, when I pulled the needle out I could see a hole where it had just been with some of the medication oozing out. No blood. Can anyone determine if it’s too big? I don’t want to be punching circles out of his muscles or causing muscle damage.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
have you tried doing the injections while clyde is deep asleep at night? it might make it easier to try then because you know he's out completely, so less stress for him, and maybe less for you too. just a thought, i really don't know, just brain-storming.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
have you tried doing the injections while clyde is deep asleep at night? it might make it easier to try then because you know he's out completely, so less stress for him, and maybe less for you too. just a thought, i really don't know, just brain-storming.
I think he’d wake up, they hurt him a bit. Plus he is deep in his hide at night and during the day.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm not a vet by no means but i am very much against medication for "just in case" i am absolutely not advising you not to give it to him, i think you should see what Tracie says, but i think in the same situation i wouldn't do it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What sized needle tip is that, a 25 gauge? Hard to tell, but, it looks a bit large to me. Usually, the
size of needle used is essentially the insulin needle size.
I am not quite sure he actually needs an antibiotic if he is trying to brumate. If his white blood cell
counts are basically in the normal range, some can actually be off, such as the neutrophils I believe,
but can double check, if they are brumating.
The antibiotic is going to be very hard on his system if he isn't basking enough for it to breakdown &
metabolize due to brumating.

Tracie

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hello,

What sized needle tip is that, a 25 gauge? Hard to tell, but, it looks a bit large to me. Usually, the
size of needle used is essentially the insulin needle size.
I am not quite sure he actually needs an antibiotic if he is trying to brumate. If his white blood cell
counts are basically in the normal range, some can actually be off, such as the neutrophils I believe,
but can double check, if they are brumating.
The antibiotic is going to be very hard on his system if he isn't basking enough for it to breakdown &
metabolize due to brumating.

Tracie
Thank you. The reason I felt pushed to try the antibiotic is because I thought the lethargy might be a sign of him feeling severely ill and weak. Since the first 2 injections showed no sign at all in change of behavior (he actually started sleeping more) then I think it is just brumation and I will back off. Vet agreed I could stop meds. I feel bad doing it in the first place but I was worried the lethargy was a sign of illness and not brumation at all; he only ended up getting 2 small shots hopefully that wasn't too harsh on his system; the total dose was 10, one every 3 days. Should I give him some baths to get the medication metabolized? He also needs to poop out the food he ate before... he hasn't pooped in over a week.

There still was that very small amount of pinworm but I haven't treated it since everyone thinks it is not an issue...

Other issue I'm having: he will go into his log sometimes instead of the hide. There is not much darkness in the log so he stays awake during the day but doesn't move, eat, or bask. I've just been leaving him to his own devices but I feel I should maybe help him find his hide? In his hide he digs under the blankets and actually sleeps. I just read that "partial brumation" is not a real thing and just means they are being obstructed from full brumation they are meant to be doing. He knew to go to his hide last time he bruited so I'm not sure what is up. Also his daytime is set to roughly 13.5 hours right now, so I will be lowing it to 12.5 and then eventually just 12.

I'm also a little sad because he brumated for 4 months during last winter, he was awake for maybe few weeks before the reproductive issues (preovulatory stasis) that led to his surgery, he finally recovers from that and now its another brumation, but in the summer/fall? Will he sleep straight through the winter until Spring? I miss having him awake, active, and healthy... its been so long :(

One unanswered thing is that his discolored urinate started back up at the same time as the brumation behaviors... could it be a sign of his metabolism dropping? Any ideas???

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's best to just let her do her thing, she should be fine. They do try different areas sometimes but they can sleep just about anywhere. The term " partial brumation " is just that, a term to describe when they seem to be sleeping or inactive for a bit, then pop back awake. There are different ways that they spend time in a dormant or semi dormant state.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is always hard when they go into a brumation phase. Hopefully she wont be down for too long,
but it's always good to let her rest awhile. She probably has needed to relax after her egg issues,
etc.
It doesn't sound like the antibiotic shots had too much of effect on her, thankfully. Since her urate
volume is good, that's a great sign her kidneys are doing well, too.

Tracie

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
@Drache613 clyde actually hasn’t pooped since the antibiotics. he was already starting to brumate.

Given him 2 baths to promote some digestion/processing for the food and antibiotics in his system. A weird new bruise has appeared on his back knee… he’s been sleeping so idk what it is.

He also gained 10 grams during brumation? I just weighted him and he has gained weight but he has been in his hide sleeping and not eating…

Attachments

• CDE10257-34FF-49C2-8DA0-4F885C7827F0.jpeg
    CDE10257-34FF-49C2-8DA0-4F885C7827F0.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 1AD1857D-ACF5-48C9-B1DA-D0247E943D88.jpeg
    1AD1857D-ACF5-48C9-B1DA-D0247E943D88.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 408216B1-AB4F-40F8-A3C1-A1CF2CA8989A.jpeg
    408216B1-AB4F-40F8-A3C1-A1CF2CA8989A.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom