Diarrhea and now napping during day

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
If you feel uncomfortable or on edge bolt outta there and find a new vet. If she is handling him rough right in front of you imagine what she would do if you aren't in the room.
Im going to post a link if you want to read it, but be warned its a sad ending, he took his beardie in to have the femoral pores cleaned. You mentioned seeing one is what reminded me. His dragon passed a few days after. He posted pics of what they did to that poor beardie.
This is the link Hurt bearded dragon ? | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org
My suggestion is if you have a bad feeling dont take him back. Veterinarians are a business and unfortunately their prime goal is to make money, I feel like a lot of the time our pets well being takes tbe back burner.
I hope i don't offend Drache613 but i have had absolutel horrible experiences with vets with my beadies and my ferrets as well. I know not all vets are bad but not all vets are good either.
I am not ready to read the posts but this is my greatest fear. As beardies can't speak up- squeal (and you could hear it from another room) like hearing a dog bark and recognize your dog- this is so concerning to me!

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
If you feel uncomfortable or on edge bolt outta there and find a new vet. If she is handling him rough right in front of you imagine what she would do if you aren't in the room.
Im going to post a link if you want to read it, but be warned its a sad ending, he took his beardie in to have the femoral pores cleaned. You mentioned seeing one is what reminded me. His dragon passed a few days after. He posted pics of what they did to that poor beardie.
This is the link Hurt bearded dragon ? | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org
My suggestion is if you have a bad feeling dont take him back. Veterinarians are a business and unfortunately their prime goal is to make money, I feel like a lot of the time our pets well being takes tbe back burner.
I hope i don't offend Drache613 but i have had absolutel horrible experiences with vets with my beadies and my ferrets as well. I know not all vets are bad but not all vets are good either.
Thank you. It’s difficult not knowing what is going on with him and then when I took him in today she kind of treated me like I was overreacting and that he’s fine. She didn’t think the red in his stood was blood, she said it would be insect parts. But he has had all of these symptoms before (smelly, watery poops with red/pink urinate) and it was a parasite. I tried to explain that and she didn’t really take to it.

Also, I have been feeding him more to get just a little more weight but he has stopped gaining anything. The last doc there told me he should gain more weight and he actually weighted 2 grams less this visit, and then this vet told me to feed him less bugs. So conflicting. I know adults shouldn’t eat bugs every day but if he isn’t gaining his weight back why would I feed him less??

Anyways, what does everyone think about the pinworm situation? I’m also upset that they didn’t mention it when I asked about his last fecal over the phone.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Please let me know if anyone has a good vet recommendation in the Orange County or LA area. I’m so sick of bad vets and I miss my vet in Aurora :/

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
@Drache613 , @Claudiusx , or @AHBD woukd probably be the best ones to ask. Drache is a vet tech. Im not sure if Claudiusx and Ahbd are but they have tons of knowledge at a minimum

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hi all! I found a new vet for Clyde.

I’ve been increasingly concerned about Clyde’s poops and the off-colored urinate (look like a small amount of blood). His poops aren’t terrible looking but last time this happened it just got worse and worse (more blood in urinate) and ended up being a parasite.

Luckily this vet is taking my concern seriously and is also worried that there might be blood in Clyde’s stool/urinate. I’m still waiting on a result to see if they find red blood cells.

Clyde had also been showing very lethargic behavior. He lays in his hide or log all day. Luckily he still has a good appetite but I have to physically get him out of bed and right in front of his bowl (and stir his salad) for him to eat. If I take him out he will explore a little but if I don’t do anything he will lay in a hide all day and not bask.

The vet said that this fecal came back with no pinworm (last 2 before this one showed small amounts). She recommended a round of antibiotics to see if that clears up the stool as it is difficult to figure out what exactly is causing the runny stool with blood (and lethargy). I declined the antibiotic because I just wasn’t ready to commit to that treatment without and proof that he has an infection. I don’t want to put him through anything medically stressful unnecessarily and I don’t want to damage his immune system.

She sent me home with a dewormer instead to see if clearing the small amount of pinworm helps at all. I took the dewormer with me but I’m not sure if I should give it to him.

I will attach the previous two fecal samples that DID show pinworm. I don’t have the details from the latest sample yet.

I’m not sure what I should do but here are what I feel my options are:
1. Do the dewormer and see if that fixes things.
2. Do another fecal sample to confirm pinworms, then do the dewormer.
3. Do a blood sample to check for infection and then do the antibiotic (if there is an infection).

Attachments

• 9F59B046-9477-4DED-A77F-55C0CCDFC529.jpeg
    9F59B046-9477-4DED-A77F-55C0CCDFC529.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 03D2B83B-A4C8-4A00-AC5B-80D8BBB0388C.jpeg
    03D2B83B-A4C8-4A00-AC5B-80D8BBB0388C.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I'll flag Tracie again, she is going to be the best help on the meds.
@Drache613
Thanks. I’d love to know the best way to test if he needs an antibiotic. I think I’m learning towards doing the dewormer (to get rid of the pinworm are rule it out) and then a blood sample if things don’t get better.

Clyde took dewormer back in April for similar symptoms (except no lethargy) for hookworm and it seemed to of helped until recently.

I will attach the dosage she gave me.

Attachments

• 4CD4F6B0-3D12-4F3A-84B7-48642A9927FA.jpeg
    4CD4F6B0-3D12-4F3A-84B7-48642A9927FA.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 79
  • 710BBC23-457D-4B1B-928E-4B0E516BCB15.jpeg
    710BBC23-457D-4B1B-928E-4B0E516BCB15.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 67

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I’ve considered a new option…

maybe he’s been trying to brumate and I’ve been disturbing him and making him eat. And since he is BARELY basking maybe eating when he shouldn’t is putting strain and causing the discolored urinate. Runny stool could be digestion issues from not basking enough. So I might try:

4. Stop waking him up and let him sleep/brumate.

If I choose this option I would not deworm and also get a blood sample to make sure he’s not sleeping from illness/infection.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Clyde’s poop isn’t getting any better. More discoloration = probably more blood.

Here’s what the vet said. For context Clyde had preovulatory follicular stasis in April and a surgery in May which is why she mentions regrowth.

Attachments

• B8FAADD4-2319-42FF-B546-369F4E08071C.jpeg
    B8FAADD4-2319-42FF-B546-369F4E08071C.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 1D64CD0D-BC92-48CA-A583-0B7839CDC089.jpg
    1D64CD0D-BC92-48CA-A583-0B7839CDC089.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 2C9C7D60-E310-4EEC-B6B1-F6D90A274412.jpg
    2C9C7D60-E310-4EEC-B6B1-F6D90A274412.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 65

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It kindda reads like the blood is an expected side effect of her surgery. If so you may be worrying yourself for nothing. Hopefully they get back to you with the new results soon.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
It kindda reads like the blood is an expected side effect of her surgery. If so you may be worrying yourself for nothing. Hopefully they get back to you with the new results soon.
Not at all, after the surgery is actually when it stopped.

He had blood in stool (that started out not too bad and got worse) from July 2021-May 2022. I put him on a dewormer in April and initially I thought the blood in stool was from hookworm. After the surgery was also around the time the blood stopped and stool finally looked normal. Only recently did it start again. If it’s from this amoeba then maybe it stopped because of the antibiotics he had to take for surgery and is now coming back. Or maybe the blood was from ovaries and now regrowth is causing it to come back. Or maybe it was from pinworm and now those have started coming back. So many possibilities it’s so stressful 😭

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree it would be insanely stressful. Hopefully your vets gets it figured out.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Getting a little worried because Clyde’s lethargy is getting worse. He lays in his log on the cool side all day and all night without moving unless I pick him up. He still is alert when I let him look out the window but he doesn’t run around much. I went in for a bloodwork appointment today but they said they would try but that the exotic doctor usually draws blood for exotics. I told them that I would actually be more comfortable with the doc doing it and them not trying at all. They are basically nurses who usually see dogs and cats 🙄 so we are going back in on Thursday.

I’m worried about him though <3
So hard to know if it’s brumation or related to the bad poop but he is just laying down and not usually sleeping. He won’t bask at all on his own.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 63

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Clyde is now on an antibiotic that I have to inject every 3 days to see if that helps. It's every 3 days for a month, which seems like a lot but I decided to take the vet's advice. The bloodwork did not show a high level of white blood cells, but the white blood cells that were present showed signs of fighting an infection. So likely whatever is up with the discoloration in his poop is causing some issue that his immune system is trying to fight.

I'm beginning to think the lethargy could be unrelated. He had this discolored urinate in the past before and it lasted maybe 9 whole month without majorly affecting his behavior. He might just be also brumating. But the active white blood cells and lethargy (even if it might not be related, because I can't know for sure if it is) was enough concern for me to try the antibiotic to see if it helps.

Could the sign of infection be from the pinworm? I never gave him the pinworm medication because I didn't feel sure enough that that was the issue.

Any advice greatly appreciated <3

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Well the brumation activity has continued. I tried to give him the 3rd shot today and I’m bawling because I can’t get it to work it won’t go in and he just runs away. He doesn’t understand and he just thinks I want to hurt him :( I got it to go in once but it came right back out. Didn’t get any medication in. How am I supposed to do this every 3 days for a month??? He’s going to just be scared of me. And I have to distrust his brumation just to get him up for it.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom