Diarrhea and now napping during day

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
(Reposting with an edit because I'm still not sure what's up)

Just when I though all was well again, Clyde is now having diarrhea! And weird behavior.

16CBC4D2-BC6D-4C01-AD6D-B7E3B07055E9.jpeg

^Healthy poop just over a week ago.
(lol ignore the greens floating in water I was trying a trick to see if he would drink on his own hahaha)

We just moved from CO to California. He’s had some relocation stress and constipation. Last time he had relocation he also had constipation so it wasn’t a big surprise. When he would finally poop it would be these massive but very healthy looking poops (solid poop, just a little excess water, white urinate). Then the constipation went away (yay!) but quickly his poops have gotten too watery.

4D76F710-A4AC-4C61-A474-40FB9C342F07.jpeg

89A2DA1C-80E6-4175-BD86-EC82C5CCA6D4.jpeg

^^^The other day he had explosive diarrhea that got on 3 walls of his cage and even a little drip of poop water was on his back, it was quite the crime scene. I’m worried that my little baby isn’t feeling very well. The urinate is still white and I JUST got another poop sample done at the vet (he actually pooped on the examination table lol) but it came back negative for parasites/worms. Since then he's been hanging out on the cool side of his tank and sometimes napping. I fed him today and he eat 3 roaches and a good amount of salad but he didn't bask afterwards. I have him on his heating pad now to help with digestion. He’s had stress mark a little more often too, which is not very much but in the past he would hardly ever get them. I’ll attach a photo of the tank set up.

His UVB is a T5 and I heard those are good for a year but I switch it out every 9 months to be safe. It’s been 8 months so I might switch it out early. Could it be that his UVB is too weak/strong? It’s a 34inch 39W T5 HO 10.0 UVB mounted on the inside of his 120 gal tank in a reflective hood.

image.jpg

Note: this is how it was set up in Colorado too. When I first got to CA I had it laying on top of the mesh for a week maybe more before remounting it.

The other idea I had was maybe he’s eating too much zucchini, although he eats it a lot and it usually doesn’t give him diarrhea. I chop it up to “garnish” his salads almost every day so that he’ll eat the salad.

Diet is kale, collard greens, mustard greens, and dandelion greens as staples, zucchini and greens beans as toppings, bee pollen as a topping (I use it every day though), dubia roaches (every day because he still is gaining back a little weight from surgery after that I will cut back, hornworms and occasional fruit as treats.

Any other ideas why he could be having diarrhea? And the napping? Brumation? An issue?

I recently added a water dish to his tank but he has never drank from it. I always had it out in Colorado but in California I’ve been trying to keep humidity down as I’m right next to the ocean. I usually just use a dropper to give him water every day or every other day. Is it possible to give them too much water?

One last thing. He just itched his head but he shed his head like a week ago. Could he be shedding again already? He’s barely shed since adulthood, twice maybe. And he has some shed on his tail that I just lightly scrubbed in the bath because it’s having trouble coming off on its own. Not sure if that’s helpful info, maybe it could tell me something about UVB levels…

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP!!!

(Here's the old thread it got kind of long: https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/clyde’s-diarrhea-is-back.263816/page-1)

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hi,
Sorry to hear that Clyde isn't doing well. Perhaps it's the stress in the move itself. Colorado to California is a big change -if everything is set up the same with regards to the enclosure, there are no concerns from the vet, perhaps monitor his eating for the next week or so. Relocation and shedding are both stressful events on it's own. I am not sure on how you transported Clyde but perhaps it was a scary transition. Beardies don't like change and the unknown was probably terrifying. Others will hopefully chime in with anything that I may have missed. Please hang in there- but try to resume his regular routine- don't overdo it. The normalcy can only help.
A couple of final thoughts-
Double check, zucchini may fall under the same category as cucumber...very watery therefore contributing to those results.​
When Clyde hangs on the cool side and isn't napping, what is he doing- is there any activity at all?​
Congratulations on the move and the best of luck with Clyde.​

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
He lays under his net on his log on the cool side, he's either napping or just laying there not doing much. I'm sure he's had relocation stress recently but this behavior didn't change until after he was done shedding and about 4 weeks after the move. I always transport him inside of his usual tank on the drive (with rocks or anything heavy removed), with a basking light set up, temp probes to monitor, and then he sleeps in a carrier in the motel room overnight (I check temps there too). This was his 5th time doing the drive so although he doesn't love it he has gotten used to it happening every once in a while.

I'm sure the constipation was from relocation but those poops looked healthy when they finally did come. This last one worried me. The nappy behavior would be consistent with a partial brumation which might make sense but the watery poop makes me worried something else is wrong :/ anyways I'm taking him to the vet again next week. He needs to get his weight up too and it's been plateauing. Good think I have pet insurance I'm such hypochondriac when it comes to Clyde <3

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Do you feed soft bodied bugs such as hornworms or silkworms? Hornworms especially have a high moisture content. That mixed with the zucchini would very likely = ... we all saw the pic ;). Wet foods like the zucchini can cause very runny stools. But i always say when in doubt drop a fecal sample at the vet, its is very inexpensive piece of mind. Collect it yourself however and drop it off within 24 hours. If a vet trys to do an enama it could end badly. Some parasites can cause runny stools also.
After 4 weeks i wouldn't think it still relocation stress, especially if he has made the trip a few times. It could be environmental though, keep an eye out for anything like ceiling fans or something out a window he can see.
One of mine hates the registers for the heat/ac. Something like that could be stressing him.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Another though, what is the elevation difference between Colorado and where your at in California now? I don't know that it would have any effect but i don't know it wouldn't either.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Another though, what is the elevation difference between Colorado and where your at in California now? I don't know that it would have any effect but i don't know it wouldn't either.
Boulder is 5,300 feet and here is sea level. I did once have to take a detour with clyde (about a year ago) in the car up independence pass which is over 12,000 feet! I was worried about his little ears but he was fine after lol.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Another update: today’s stool was not as wet but still runny and the pink urinate (blood) is back DX also his poops stopped smelling bad but now the bad smell is back!!! Really seems like parasite symptoms but his fecal came back normal! I guess I’ll have to go get another sample :/ maybe they missed something.
9145747E-328E-4181-9D7A-70463C9209CD.jpeg

EE3238C9-045F-4883-B998-A20CC7AF5A9C.jpeg

Just realizing I could’ve just collected this one and gone today 😣 I was thinking about taking a sample to his vet appointment and that’s on Friday but now I’m thinking I should just cancel the appointment and do another stool sample first? It’s really seeming like parasite.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Do you feed soft bodied bugs such as hornworms or silkworms? Hornworms especially have a high moisture content. That mixed with the zucchini would very likely = ... we all saw the pic ;). Wet foods like the zucchini can cause very runny stools. But i always say when in doubt drop a fecal sample at the vet, its is very inexpensive piece of mind. Collect it yourself however and drop it off within 24 hours. If a vet trys to do an enama it could end badly. Some parasites can cause runny stools also.
After 4 weeks i wouldn't think it still relocation stress, especially if he has made the trip a few times. It could be environmental though, keep an eye out for anything like ceiling fans or something out a window he can see.
One of mine hates the registers for the heat/ac. Something like that could be stressing him.
Just the zucchini, I just got a shipment of hornworms but he hasn’t had any in over a month. No silkworms either mostly dubia roaches and leafy greens.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It don't sound like diet is the issue.
I would probably have the fecal done, maybe they did miss something. If there is another vet around i would consider maybe taking it there. If is being done in house could be the vet is inexperienced. Also if your adventurous you can get a decent microscope fairly cheap and learn to do it yourself. I have looked at a few sites it doesn't look all that involved. I'm planning on doing myself but just haven't had time.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Rocky! What a cute name! From the boxing movie or Rocky Horror Picture Show?
Actually neither. Rocky because when I first beardies, they blended in with rocks and I thought I was being creative. Now I am seeing other names and feel like BOY DID I MISS THE MARK. Ironically, I call Rocky, "moo moo"- I have no idea and she responds. Now, one would think Moo is a related to a cow as I do but it works:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If you follow my threads you will find that Rocky and I have a very interesting relationship!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Actually neither. Rocky because when I first beardies, they blended in with rocks and I thought I was being creative. Now I am seeing other names and feel like BOY DID I MISS THE MARK. Ironically, I call Rocky, "moo moo"- I have no idea and she responds. Now, one would think Moo is a related to a cow as I do but it works:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If you follow my threads you will find that Rocky and I have a very interesting relationship!
Another update: today’s stool was not as wet but still runny and the pink urinate (blood) is back DX also his poops stopped smelling bad but now the bad smell is back!!! Really seems like parasite symptoms but his fecal came back normal! I guess I’ll have to go get another sample :/ maybe they missed something. View attachment 71818
View attachment 71819

Just realizing I could’ve just collected this one and gone today 😣 I was thinking about taking a sample to his vet appointment and that’s on Friday but now I’m thinking I should just cancel the appointment and do another stool sample first? It’s really seeming like parasite.
This is so helpful. I only saw this once which was a result of the cucumber - I am learning a lot. Thank you for sharing. I hope that Clyde feels better.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Just leaving the vet now. They say he seems fine? Idk what to do, I’m getting another fecal done. Apparently he has pinworm but a “normal amount.” And they say they wouldn’t treat it unless it was a higher count. Is it okay to just not treat pinworm if it’s a low level? I can ask for what the count was. I’m not sure why they didn’t tell me about it sooner.

Also it was a different doctor today and every time she held clyde he would try to get loose because she wasn’t supporting his legs. She also opened his mouth by pinching his chin and pulling down until he opened his mouth, and I’ve never seen someone do that before. Not sure how I feel about that… the mouth check was a bit stressful for me and Clyde. She also seemed a little annoyed with me hovering and I know I’m a hypochondriac and overbearing, but I ended up refusing a blood test just because I felt uncomfortable about how they might handle him.

Last time I was in I saw a beardie leave after getting his femoral pores expelled and two of the pores were bleeding… should I look for a new vet?

And what about the pinworms?

Here’s a photo just cause he’s cute <3
43A3B117-E14C-4D1C-9C51-8BA1345F6510.jpeg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If you feel uncomfortable or on edge bolt outta there and find a new vet. If she is handling him rough right in front of you imagine what she would do if you aren't in the room.
Im going to post a link if you want to read it, but be warned its a sad ending, he took his beardie in to have the femoral pores cleaned. You mentioned seeing one is what reminded me. His dragon passed a few days after. He posted pics of what they did to that poor beardie.
This is the link Hurt bearded dragon ? | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org
My suggestion is if you have a bad feeling dont take him back. Veterinarians are a business and unfortunately their prime goal is to make money, I feel like a lot of the time our pets well being takes tbe back burner.
I hope i don't offend Drache613 but i have had absolutel horrible experiences with vets with my beadies and my ferrets as well. I know not all vets are bad but not all vets are good either.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom