Diarrhea and eating less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so my boy Balthazar has just moved to his new huge tank 48x24x16 he doesn't seem stressed behavior wise he is out running g around enjoying the space and basking alot....his Temps are good if maybe a little under basking at about 105 cool side in the 80s and warm side in the 90s I use a 100w reptisun basking light and uvb10 mounted inside the tank ......now here's the issue he has been having some pretty runny bm and today it was like strait diarrhea with exxes water , he's also not eating well he will eat some things I feed right to him, he does his best with greens but is usually all over crickets or Dubia.....but now he isn't eating......or eating little ......do you guys think it's the new tank stressing him or maybe parasites.....he is very loved and no expense spared with his care ......pictures attached ........I also have almost every food type ready for him......I have crickets dubia hornworms wax worms I feed him a collard greens/butter lettuce mix with squash (he likes squash) carrots and peppers sometimes but he never really cRes for a little of greens ...I also sprinkle his vitamins /calcium on his greens and coat his bugs every other feeding and I put a bee pollen I found on chewed for all natural vitamins and sweetness to coerce him to eat greens.......he has a vet appointment for 6 days from now ........do you think the diarrhea and lack of appetite is the tank or something else .....thabk you all and we send our love.......

Attachments

• 20220201_113413.jpg
    20220201_113413.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20220201_113504.jpg
    20220201_113504.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 81

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
Hey guys so my boy Balthazar has just moved to his new huge tank 48x24x16 he doesn't seem stressed behavior wise he is out running g around enjoying the space and basking alot....his Temps are good if maybe a little under basking at about 105 cool side in the 80s and warm side in the 90s I use a 100w reptisun basking light and uvb10 mounted inside the tank ......now here's the issue he has been having some pretty runny bm and today it was like strait diarrhea with exxes water , he's also not eating well he will eat some things I feed right to him, he does his best with greens but is usually all over crickets or Dubia.....but now he isn't eating......or eating little ......do you guys think it's the new tank stressing him or maybe parasites.....he is very loved and no expense spared with his care ......pictures attached ........I also have almost every food type ready for him......I have crickets dubia hornworms wax worms I feed him a collard greens/butter lettuce mix with squash (he likes squash) carrots and peppers sometimes but he never really cRes for a little of greens ...I also sprinkle his vitamins /calcium on his greens and coat his bugs every other feeding and I put a bee pollen I found on chewed for all natural vitamins and sweetness to coerce him to eat greens.......he has a vet appointment for 6 days from now ........do you think the diarrhea and lack of appetite is the tank or something else .....thabk you all and we send our love.......
Update I was able to get him to eat like 10 -15 roaches ........still not sure if he's sick cuz or the poops but he wasn't eating due to laziness I had to feed him them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Update I was able to get him to eat like 10 -15 roaches ........still not sure if he's sick cuz or the poops but he wasn't eating due to laziness I had to feed him them
Relocation stress is one factor but I was looking at the placement of your UVB and its on the back wall of the tank -- it looks like there is no reflector and I cant tell if its in a fixture or not - if not please get one ASAP - better positioning of the UVB would be directly over head and off the wall - what brand and bulb are you using for your UVB distance plays a key role in here -- also strait runny poo is not good - could be parasites I would suggest a fecal being done but please take a sample in to the vet --- NO enemas they often end in disaster -- vets like a sample w/ in 24 hr --

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
I'd recommend mounting your UVB externally in a vivarium thats only 16" in height - pretty much a neccessity if its a T5 tube.

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
It is in a fixture w reflector and its a t8 I believe people have been telling me not put it on the mesh but under it so I hung it inside towards the back but I can adjust 5k anywhere inside or out here's a better picture of uvb lifht

Attachments

• 20220201_180726.jpg
    20220201_180726.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220201_180747.jpg
    20220201_180747.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220201_180947.jpg
    20220201_180947.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 71

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
It is in a fixture w reflector and its a t8 I believe people have been telling me not put it on the mesh but under it so I hung it inside towards the back but I can adjust 5k anywhere inside or out here's a better picture of uvb lifht
Should I take the fixture out and put it on the mesh or maybe turn it the long way or... .sorry I just love my beardie and I want the absolute best.....**** if I could hire a professional to come here and customize everything perfectly I would spare no expense but I don't know anyone

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Should I take the fixture out and put it on the mesh or maybe turn it the long way or... .sorry I just love my beardie and I want the absolute best.....**** if I could hire a professional to come here and customize everything perfectly I would spare no expense but I don't know anyone
Whatever works best for you + the dragon needs to be able to get directly under the uvb-- 6-8 inches

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
yes. The problem with a low vivarium is that an internal uvb significantly restricts the height of any decor inside the tank that is under the UV - even with a T8 bulb. You always have to maintain that height of 8" from bulb to your dragon as any closure can result in over exposure for them.

Ideally when you have the money I would buy a T5 tube and mount it externally. You then have the option of lowering or raisng the height of the tube to maintain correct distances with less restriction on decor heights in your viv

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank looks very nice. The T8 tube is directly above/overhead now, correct? That is what it looks like on the pictures. Which basking
light are you using, is it right beside the tube bulb to where it overlaps?
Looking at the pictures, it appears the basking light is a little far from the tube bulb so you might consider trying to move the basking light
directly beside the tube bulb to create a brighter basking & UVB spot.
How is his appetite doing?
That is a great name for him, too, very cute!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom