Desmo needs your help

Tabi

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Asmodeus
Hello everyone,

I just adopted my first beardie. His name is Desmo and I am hoping to find out more about him. I was told he’s an adult but he seems pretty small in statue. He’s just about 16 inches and weighs 300grams. He’s also a super finicky eater and has recently had a parasite infections which the store treated before they let me pick him up. He only eats veggies if I hold them up and even then barely agrees to more than one or two pieces. He does seem to love superworms and I do gutload them.

Could anyone take a look and tell me what they think of him and what kind of species you think he is? That and I’m not even sure he is a he because I can’t see the ridges under his belly that are supposed to tell me.

Thank you! Desmo and Tabi

Attachments

• 42596373-2845-4133-BAB6-AAB8F3CAB927.jpeg
    42596373-2845-4133-BAB6-AAB8F3CAB927.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 111
  • B9C3DD24-A5DE-4573-8245-66366CDFE3C6.jpeg
    B9C3DD24-A5DE-4573-8245-66366CDFE3C6.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 4E5D3B41-D1C5-4EE5-BFED-4316C48C021E.jpeg
    4E5D3B41-D1C5-4EE5-BFED-4316C48C021E.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 82

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I don't see anything glaringly wrong with him. Fat pads look good, no ribs visible. You can tell sex by lifting the tail straight up while s/he is flat and look right above the vent. One bulge just over the vent is female, two bulges going up the tail on either side is male. If you still can't tell that way, shine a flashlight from the back so you can see the silhouette and the same rules apply.

The size could be that s/he is a young adult and still growing, or it could be pet store genetics. If s/he was a rescue surrendered to the store, it could be from poor care previously that could have stunted the growth.

My guy has only recently started taking a real liking to his greens. Before he was similar to yours. He seemed to prefer big leaves waved in front of him, and then he would take a couple bites and be done. If he got hungry enough he would eat out of his bowl, but that was very hit or miss. Just in the last week or so, he has started eating out of his bowl almost every day. Bee pollen seemed to help pique his interest, and consistently feeding greens at least a couple of hours before bugs helped too. I estimate his age at about 14-15 months, so it is also possible that he is just getting older and his needs/wants have changed. If you have or can get a better idea of age than just "adult," it might help determine where s/he should be and what kind of plan to make if they aren't there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone,

I just adopted my first beardie. His name is Desmo and I am hoping to find out more about him. I was told he’s an adult but he seems pretty small in statue. He’s just about 16 inches and weighs 300grams. He’s also a super finicky eater and has recently had a parasite infections which the store treated before they let me pick him up. He only eats veggies if I hold them up and even then barely agrees to more than one or two pieces. He does seem to love superworms and I do gutload them.

Could anyone take a look and tell me what they think of him and what kind of species you think he is? That and I’m not even sure he is a he because I can’t see the ridges under his belly that are supposed to tell me.

Thank you! Desmo and Tabi
Please tell me the UVB your using-- also I would recommend getting rid of the loose substrate your using - loose sub can cause infections w/ it harboring bacteria etc --- also risk for impaction - I would recommend getting him on some textured NON adhesive shelf liner its more sanitary and easier to clean - vinegar/ water 50/50 -- it can be found at Walmart or you local home improvement store -- cut to the size of your tank --
please get a staple insect for him like dubia roaches crickets BSFL or silk worms - super worms are treat worms and should be fed like every few days --- I can post websites for you for those - I recommend dubia roaches they are more nutritional and easier to care for --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom