Deep Heat Projectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Finding myself going down a rabbit hole of information; so I figured I would just ask here.

My main reason for asking is when I got Ziggy back in June of 2021, I went with zoo med bulbs which I learned eventually where a waste of money. I have had my 3rd bulb stop working and am looking to make a change. I am looking at the Arcadia halogen flood light, which I know will give off more heat at less wattage so that’s a plus.

Is there any real and noticeable benefit to using a DHP alongside a basking bulb? My beardie’s habitat is 8 feet long, so I definitely have the space to add if needed. What are the cons?

Thank in advance.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
that's odd. that's the only bulb i have ever used and have had a total of 1 burn out in over a year. i wonder if it could be the socket malfunctioning or something like that?

unfortunately i have no input for ya on the DHP. but am interested in learning too since i have seen them popping up in conversation a little more often lately.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
that's odd. that's the only bulb i have ever used and have had a total of 1 burn out in over a year. i wonder if it could be the socket malfunctioning or something like that?

unfortunately i have no input for ya on the DHP. but am interested in learning too since i have seen them popping up in conversation a little more often lately.
Since the habitat is 8 feet long I have 4-5 dome fixtures depending on the time of year and it’s been a different dome each time. They are the Fluker’s dome and are rated 150W to 250W maximum. I probably just have really bad luck lol.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Since the habitat is 8 feet long I have 4-5 dome fixtures depending on the time of year and it’s been a different dome each time. They are the Fluker’s dome and are rated 150W to 250W maximum. I probably just have really bad luck lol.
I’ve been running the Arcadia DHP for a couple of months now and really notice a difference in my dragons behavior. It’s a really unique heating system really I’ve talked with the guy who came up with the technology for Arcadia and I’ve done a ton of research about it. I run the DHP as a second basking area in my enclosure and it produces IRA &B and it penetrates into the muscle tissue and not so much on the surface of the body like a incandescent bulb. And it’s absorbed and radiated back into the enclosure as IRC warming the viv. My dragon spends more time basking under the DHP than the basking light which makes me think he’s after the infrared A&B more than IRC the basking bulb provides but just a guess? I’ve been using one 50 watt DHP and a 65 watt incandescent flood to easily heat my enclosure and it’s not running full pelt it’s dimmed slightly and my cool end temperatures still creep into the low 80’s at times. With your size enclosure I bet you could run an 80 watt from about 10-12 inches up and create a great basking area it’s about 12 inches in diameter from 10 inches up. Then maybe 1 or 2 regular flood lights maybe one in the middle and one in the cool side you’ll just have to play around with it? Supposed life span is 2/3 years running 24/7 and 3/4 years running on a thermostat but we’ll see lol.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’ve been running the Arcadia DHP for a couple of months now and really notice a difference in my dragons behavior. It’s a really unique heating system really I’ve talked with the guy who came up with the technology for Arcadia and I’ve done a ton of research about it. I run the DHP as a second basking area in my enclosure and it produces IRA &B and it penetrates into the muscle tissue and not so much on the surface of the body like a incandescent bulb. And it’s absorbed and radiated back into the enclosure as IRC warming the viv. My dragon spends more time basking under the DHP than the basking light which makes me think he’s after the infrared A&B more than IRC the basking bulb provides but just a guess? I’ve been using one 50 watt DHP and a 65 watt incandescent flood to easily heat my enclosure and it’s not running full pelt it’s dimmed slightly and my cool end temperatures still creep into the low 80’s at times. With your size enclosure I bet you could run an 80 watt from about 10-12 inches up and create a great basking area it’s about 12 inches in diameter from 10 inches up. Then maybe 1 or 2 regular flood lights maybe one in the middle and one in the cool side you’ll just have to play around with it? Supposed life span is 2/3 years running 24/7 and 3/4 years running on a thermostat but we’ll see lol.
Thanks for the information. Ziggy has 3 basking spots now, 4 if you count her hammock. 2 plus the hammock are on the warm side (4 feet) and 1 on the center/cool side. There is about 5 feet in total dedicated to heat and 2.5 to 3 feet to cool.

So If I am understanding correctly, I don’t need to run the DHP next to another heat light? I might go buy a DHP tomorrow and swap that out over her favorite basking spot. If I am current using a 75W over her basking platform, would the 80W or 50W be more comparable? (Assuming the heat is different). Do they heat the basking surfaces differently compared to normal basking bulbs?

Right now from hot (left) to cool (right) I am using;
100W, 75W, 75W, 100W and 100W CHE to create the ideal basking and ambient temperature. It is cold where I right now, so temp control can be a challenge. Since the habitat is so large, the cool side goes down to 79/80°F which hasn’t been an issue, she only goes that far down to eat.

Thanks again!

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
No you don’t need to have next to a light. What’s the distance from the bulb to the basking area? The DHP is a par30 sized bulb. My 50 watt DHP is about 12 inches from basking surface and it produces a large area in the low 100’s. Are you using halogen or incandescent bulbs currently? What I would do is grab both wattages and test them out or possibly use both one in hot side one in cool side? Make sure you put lots of rocks/branches underneath it because it radiates the materials then those things radiate the heat back into the viv. And give it a few days to let it settle in it’s weird but it gets stronger after a few days and i leave mine running 24/7 so you won’t need a CHE.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No you don’t need to have next to a light. What’s the distance from the bulb to the basking area? The DHP is a par30 sized bulb. My 50 watt DHP is about 12 inches from basking surface and it produces a large area in the low 100’s. Are you using halogen or incandescent bulbs currently? What I would do is grab both wattages and test them out or possibly use both one in hot side one in cool side? Make sure you put lots of rocks/branches underneath it because it radiates the materials then those things radiate the heat back into the viv. And give it a few days to let it settle in it’s weird but it gets stronger after a few days and i leave mine running 24/7 so you won’t need a CHE.
Her favorite basking platform is 5.5” (This from Zen Habitats) and her enclosure is 2 feet tall so 18.5”away. The basking platform is partial covered by UVB and partially by an incandescent bulb. It heats the platform to 105° F in the front and 96° in the back.

Her 2nd favorite spot is 12” tall so the lower wattage will definitely work for that one.

I’ll get both wattages and play with it and I will definitely replace the CHE as sometimes it does run 24/7.

Did you notice any improved behavior in your beardie?

Thanks again for answering my questions.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
We have a deep heat projector 50w on a Herpstat in my 4x2x2 along side of an arcadia 50w halogen flood with thermostat Just to supplement heat at the middle and cool ends this time of year. I was trying out my dhp without the bask bulb present for a few weeks because I also run an arcadia jungledawn led so i have plenty of visible light in my tank. However it was apparent our baby didn't like it for the "bask spot". and I decided not to try it any longer because i have no issues with her pooping or eating and is perfect to us already lol. We are not sure why because I've done a lot of reading and have many John courtney Smith books.The test runs and results he had with many full sun basking reptiles were amazing. The IRA and IRB are amazing together, much more similar to that of the sun. Meaning it penetrates the dermis energizing the animal better. He did trials 4 days w/dhp and another 4 w/normal bulbs and was getting shorter basking times, better appetites, and dramatic color changes. Has had me real interested lately but like I said for now im just gonna do what uve been doing. Someone on here actually told me with a high output T5 that is sufficient lighting alongside just a dhp. I had the arcadia jungledawn too so i wasnt worried there. All that aside the Halogen flood arcadia is a excelent bulb thats what we use and love it. How tall is your tank? you could use household flood they kick butt and thats what we used for a long time when we had tank with screen. Dang this is long haha

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We have a deep heat projector 50w on a Herpstat in my 4x2x2 along side of an arcadia 50w halogen flood with thermostat Just to supplement heat at the middle and cool ends this time of year. I was trying out my dhp without the bask bulb present for a few weeks because I also run an arcadia jungledawn led so i have plenty of visible light in my tank. However it was apparent our baby didn't like it for the "bask spot". and I decided not to try it any longer because i have no issues with her pooping or eating and is perfect to us already lol. We are not sure why because I've done a lot of reading and have many John courtney Smith books.The test runs and results he had with many full sun basking reptiles were amazing. The IRA and IRB are amazing together, much more similar to that of the sun. Meaning it penetrates the dermis energizing the animal better. He did trials 4 days w/dhp and another 4 w/normal bulbs and was getting shorter basking times, better appetites, and dramatic color changes. Has had me real interested lately but like I said for now im just gonna do what uve been doing. Someone on here actually told me with a high output T5 that is sufficient lighting alongside just a dhp. I had the arcadia jungledawn too so i wasnt worried there. All that aside the Halogen flood arcadia is a excelent bulb thats what we use and love it. How tall is your tank? you could use household flood they kick butt and thats what we used for a long time when we had tank with screen. Dang this is long haha
Thanks for the information! I am definitely going to run some test myself and see how Ziggy does. With having multiple basking spots, should hopefully make it easier to test out. The habitat is 2 feet tall. It’s actually two Zen Habitats 4x2x2 put together with their extension kit.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
that's awesome, spoiled dragon! Let us know how ziggy likes it
That’s interesting your dragon didn’t like the DHP as a basking area my guy literally ran and plopped down for hours when I put it in. I installed a ceramic ceiling mount light socket right next to my t5 so it’s almost right underneath it and it’s the main basking area and your right about shorter basking times and increased appetite and just overall appearance and activity. I use another incandescent for a little light on the cool side and he basks underneath it a little bit but predominately underneath the DHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom