Deep Heat Projectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
heck yeah that's awesome. yeah I dont know she's set in her ways I guess haha

I know they are picky little turds! They get spoiled I want to come back as a bearded dragon and have someone feed me pick up my poop 💩 sit in the sun take 10 naps a day after getting 12 hours of sleep and have an owner spoil me lol 😂

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I know right! we work schedules around my wife and I joke all the time that she is the head of household. They are lol kings and queens haba

SPandS

Juvie Member
I've been using a dhp for a few months now. I would normally use a che to bump the temps up during winter but saw the Arcadia dhp at PetSmart one day and decided to try it. While I do like it, I think it heats nicely once it breaks in, I have noticed zero difference in my dragons behavior. He basks, eats and everything else the same as when I used the che and when I use just the basking bulb during warmer months. He's always been pretty active so I'm not sure if that changes anything. I have it next to a halogen basking bulb, behind my t5.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’ve been running the Arcadia DHP for a couple of months now and really notice a difference in my dragons behavior. It’s a really unique heating system really I’ve talked with the guy who came up with the technology for Arcadia and I’ve done a ton of research about it. I run the DHP as a second basking area in my enclosure and it produces IRA &B and it penetrates into the muscle tissue and not so much on the surface of the body like a incandescent bulb. And it’s absorbed and radiated back into the enclosure as IRC warming the viv. My dragon spends more time basking under the DHP than the basking light which makes me think he’s after the infrared A&B more than IRC the basking bulb provides but just a guess? I’ve been using one 50 watt DHP and a 65 watt incandescent flood to easily heat my enclosure and it’s not running full pelt it’s dimmed slightly and my cool end temperatures still creep into the low 80’s at times. With your size enclosure I bet you could run an 80 watt from about 10-12 inches up and create a great basking area it’s about 12 inches in diameter from 10 inches up. Then maybe 1 or 2 regular flood lights maybe one in the middle and one in the cool side you’ll just have to play around with it? Supposed life span is 2/3 years running 24/7 and 3/4 years running on a thermostat but we’ll see lol.
One more question, maybe two (lol) on the topic of lighting… I currently use this type of T5 fixture and it’s pushed more towards the back of the enclosure with the basking bulbs positioned overlapping towards the front of the basking surface (like the attached photo). With possible getting the DHP and the potential of Ziggy not basking as long, I want to make sure she still gets enough UVB if she decides to hang out near the front of the habitat (which is rare currently).
I've been using a dhp for a few months now. I would normally use a che to bump the temps up during winter but saw the Arcadia dhp at PetSmart one day and decided to try it. While I do like it, I think it heats nicely once it breaks in, I have noticed zero difference in my dragons behavior. He basks, eats and everything else the same as when I used the che and when I use just the basking bulb during warmer months. He's always been pretty active so I'm not sure if that changes anything. I have it next to a halogen basking bulb, behind my t5.

Thanks for the reply. My beardie is definitely a pretty active dragon as is. There are days she just enjoys running around her habitat for the hell of it. I’ll definitely still give it a try and see what happens.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I run my t5 at an angle from corner to corner of the viv and then in the triangle in the back I have my basking bulb then towards the front triangle is where he can be cooler and still have uvb. When it’s at a diagonal they can utilize both sides of the t5 instead of just the front or the back depending on where you have it mounted.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I run my t5 at an angle from corner to corner of the viv and then in the triangle in the back I have my basking bulb then towards the front triangle is where he can be cooler and still have uvb. When it’s at a diagonal they can utilize both sides of the t5 instead of just the front or the back depending on where you have it mounted.
On the topic of that, I currently use this style fixture and it’s positioned towards the back of the enclosure (as you can see from the photo). I am looking at potentially getting this style fixture and mounting it more towards the center of the habitat screen (see yellow rectangle on photo).

Is there a major difference between the two fixtures? The slimmer profile on will give me better placement options which is why I am thinking of the switch

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble

I use this fixture but it’s very similar to the one you posted so no big deal which one you choose and I like them much better than the reptisun fixture the reflector is better to.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No you don’t need to have next to a light. What’s the distance from the bulb to the basking area? The DHP is a par30 sized bulb. My 50 watt DHP is about 12 inches from basking surface and it produces a large area in the low 100’s. Are you using halogen or incandescent bulbs currently? What I would do is grab both wattages and test them out or possibly use both one in hot side one in cool side? Make sure you put lots of rocks/branches underneath it because it radiates the materials then those things radiate the heat back into the viv. And give it a few days to let it settle in it’s weird but it gets stronger after a few days and i leave mine running 24/7 so you won’t need a CHE.
What’s your thoughts if I replace all my incandescent basking bulbs and use T5 grow lights, for the light source? (Obviously in addition to UVB). Any downside to this?

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Just so I’m clear you’ll have a DHP for heat your t5 uvb and then an additional t5 with a grow light? The problem with grow lights they normally don’t have a very good spectrum of light or in other words they are very different than sun light. I used a sun blaster 6400k t5 for extra lighting once without any problems but I think now after experimenting with lights for so many years it got really expensive and the more complex my lighting got it was more difficult to maintain and just got to be too much. Now I really try to keep it simple. I use a good Arcadia t5 uvb and a halogen for basking and a 50 watt DHP for extra heat and nighttime heat. If you want to experiment with lighting I would personally get an Arcadia jungle dawn led bar. Lasts a long time and no bulb to replace and the light spectrum is really good and very bright.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just so I’m clear you’ll have a DHP for heat your t5 uvb and then an additional t5 with a grow light? The problem with grow lights they normally don’t have a very good spectrum of light or in other words they are very different than sun light. I used a sun blaster 6400k t5 for extra lighting once without any problems but I think now after experimenting with lights for so many years it got really expensive and the more complex my lighting got it was more difficult to maintain and just got to be too much. Now I really try to keep it simple. I use a good Arcadia t5 uvb and a halogen for basking and a 50 watt DHP for extra heat and nighttime heat. If you want to experiment with lighting I would personally get an Arcadia jungle dawn led bar. Lasts a long time and no bulb to replace and the light spectrum is really good and very bright.
Yea I was thinking about changing out the 4 basking bulbs to all DHP. My concern with doing this was making sure I still had enough UVA. I know my 2 UVB Lights (6 feet in total) give off 30% UVA and 10% UVB). So removing my incandescent basking bulbs would reduce the UVA in the habitat. I do have one 24” T5 6500K grow light as I have 3 lives plants for decoration (bearded dragon safe).

Now that I have been thinking on it, I might just alternate the incandescent bulbs and DHP. Do 2 and 2. That way there is still “light”.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Yep that’d work to. Someday if you want to invest in a jungle dawn led bar it would definitely be worth it since you have plants already they are designed for helping plant growth. You run the led bar at the end with the uvb for a really bright hot area with a basking bulb then DHP then basking bulb then a DHP in the last fixture for a darker cooler end. But I would honestly think you should only need one halogen bulb for basking side plus a 4ft fixture with you Arcadia t5 uvb and wherever you put your t5 grow light( this could be replaced with the jungle dawn bar) and one 80 watt DHP maybe in the spot where your 3rd incandescent bulb is then leave the last fixture on the end empty. It’d be good to have a darker area with a hide with lower temperatures.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yep that’d work to. Someday if you want to invest in a jungle dawn led bar it would definitely be worth it since you have plants already they are designed for helping plant growth. You run the led bar at the end with the uvb for a really bright hot area with a basking bulb then DHP then basking bulb then a DHP in the last fixture for a darker cooler end. But I would honestly think you should only need one halogen bulb for basking side plus a 4ft fixture with you Arcadia t5 uvb and wherever you put your t5 grow light( this could be replaced with the jungle dawn bar) and one 80 watt DHP maybe in the spot where your 3rd incandescent bulb is then leave the last fixture on the end empty. It’d be good to have a darker area with a hide with lower temperatures.
Thanks. Definitely have had my eye on the Jungle dawn. I wanted to see I can keep the plants alive first lol.

The 5+ feet of basking space is definitely a pain with heating and It’s proven to be a constant challenge as the weather changes daily here.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I hear you it seems so daunting at first and you gave yourself more of a challenge with that big of enclosure lol 😂. It’s ok if things fluctuate too it no big deal if your basking area is 100 in the morning and 115 by afternoon then the next day it’s warmer outside therefore your room temperature goes up and your enclosure gets a little warmer you don’t have to chase temperatures to keep them in super small window of temperatures. In nature things fluctuate. And remember in a enclosure your size as long as you always have a good solid cool side for them to cool down your basking spot could be 150 degrees and it’s not an issue if you protect your cool side and always make sure it’s nice and cool. I’m not advocating you run your basking spot that hot just that if your room temperature goes up and your basking temperatures go way up in an enclosure your size as long as you have a cool side your fine. What I would do if I were you is buy another dragon and have 2 4ft enclosures and I could spoil 2 of them lol 😂.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I have a jungle dawn and my beardie seems to use her gradient better she had got more perky when first starting with it. They are designed for bioactive too they are amazing with plant sustainability

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I hear you it seems so daunting at first and you gave yourself more of a challenge with that big of enclosure lol 😂. It’s ok if things fluctuate too it no big deal if your basking area is 100 in the morning and 115 by afternoon then the next day it’s warmer outside therefore your room temperature goes up and your enclosure gets a little warmer you don’t have to chase temperatures to keep them in super small window of temperatures. In nature things fluctuate. And remember in a enclosure your size as long as you always have a good solid cool side for them to cool down your basking spot could be 150 degrees and it’s not an issue if you protect your cool side and always make sure it’s nice and cool. I’m not advocating you run your basking spot that hot just that if your room temperature goes up and your basking temperatures go way up in an enclosure your size as long as you have a cool side your fine. What I would do if I were you is buy another dragon and have 2 4ft enclosures and I could spoil 2 of them lol 😂.
I would love two dragons. I just know I wouldn’t be able to stop at two lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom