Dear Liz.. (A letter to my beloved beardie)

I wrote this letter to my bearded dragon Liz who we had put to sleep last night after a long battle with MBD and constant egg laying. It's long and sappy and I don't really expect anyone to read it, but if someone does maybe they can relate to some of the feelings I have right now. And it definitely felt good letting this all out.

Dear Liz,

I don’t even know where to start. I miss you so much and it’s only been 13 hours since you died and 24 hours since I knew you would need to go. Letting you go was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I selfishly still think to myself, “maybe I shouldn’t have taken you into the vet, maybe you would have laid the eggs and kept going on living.” But the doctor said that you were in pain, and that was enough to make me know that letting you go was the right decision. Still, seeing your empty tank is almost unbearable. We have held onto all of your things and I don’t think we can ever bring ourselves to get rid of them.

It’s easy for me to go on about how wonderful you were and how much I love you, but it’s incredibly difficult for me to talk about my regrets. I am so sorry for all the days where I didn’t have time for you, where I was too busy with your little brother or with work or whatever to give you the proper care you deserved. I know it probably didn’t make a huge difference in the end, but if I could go back I would make sure every day you were cared for to the highest ability. I also regret not spending enough time with you and not taking you outdoors as often. Still, you never showed me anything but sweetness and love. What I would give to go back for just one day when you were at your healthiest.

I will miss holding your hand and watching your dad tuck you in at night. I’ll miss reading to you and showing you videos. I will miss bringing out the tank of roaches or worms and seeing you run to the front of your tank all excited, or trying to hop up at the tongs holding a worm because you can't wait. I have so many great memories of you that I hope I can eventually talk about you and not think about your death. I want to get to a point where I can say your name and smile instead of cry.

I know that sometimes when you take a chance on love it does not always work out. While I wish you could have lived many more years, I still think taking a chance on adopting and loving you was worth it. I don’t see your death as a defeat, but as an end to a short but glorious adventure.

I love you Liz, now and forever,
Your mom

Attachments

• Happy Liz.jpg
    Happy Liz.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 178

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
I clicked on this memorial knowing I would cry, but it seems only fair to remember Liz by her owner’s loving words. This is beautiful and heartbreaking and I so desperately wish things were better for both of you.
Despite not knowing her for long, Liz like many dragons on this forum had become part of my source of happiness. I love seeing these babies living their best lives and giving so much personalities. Perhaps that’s why I love Liz’s last happy pic, all fun and sunshine. I will remember her like this.
Thank you for sharing this with us. As you eloquently put together, she had a short but absolutely stunning adventure with you, with all of us who read about her. And I can’t think of any other way that she’d be happier without you as her owner.
May she rest in peace, in the place with sunshine and many tasty treats, in her owner’s forever love.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I lost Chomp just a few days before my birthday back in April, i still can't talk about her without my voice cracking. My heart goes out to you, i know how bad it is to lose them. Try to remember the good stuff, i know it hurts but they are worth it. Be at peace knowing you rescued her and gave her a good life.

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
I wrote this letter to my bearded dragon Liz who we had put to sleep last night after a long battle with MBD and constant egg laying. It's long and sappy and I don't really expect anyone to read it, but if someone does maybe they can relate to some of the feelings I have right now. And it definitely felt good letting this all out.

Dear Liz,

I don’t even know where to start. I miss you so much and it’s only been 13 hours since you died and 24 hours since I knew you would need to go. Letting you go was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I selfishly still think to myself, “maybe I shouldn’t have taken you into the vet, maybe you would have laid the eggs and kept going on living.” But the doctor said that you were in pain, and that was enough to make me know that letting you go was the right decision. Still, seeing your empty tank is almost unbearable. We have held onto all of your things and I don’t think we can ever bring ourselves to get rid of them.

It’s easy for me to go on about how wonderful you were and how much I love you, but it’s incredibly difficult for me to talk about my regrets. I am so sorry for all the days where I didn’t have time for you, where I was too busy with your little brother or with work or whatever to give you the proper care you deserved. I know it probably didn’t make a huge difference in the end, but if I could go back I would make sure every day you were cared for to the highest ability. I also regret not spending enough time with you and not taking you outdoors as often. Still, you never showed me anything but sweetness and love. What I would give to go back for just one day when you were at your healthiest.

I will miss holding your hand and watching your dad tuck you in at night. I’ll miss reading to you and showing you videos. I will miss bringing out the tank of roaches or worms and seeing you run to the front of your tank all excited, or trying to hop up at the tongs holding a worm because you can't wait. I have so many great memories of you that I hope I can eventually talk about you and not think about your death. I want to get to a point where I can say your name and smile instead of cry.

I know that sometimes when you take a chance on love it does not always work out. While I wish you could have lived many more years, I still think taking a chance on adopting and loving you was worth it. I don’t see your death as a defeat, but as an end to a short but glorious adventure.

I love you Liz, now and forever,
Your mom
Oh goodness this made me cry. It’s so hard to lose a pet, she’ll always be so close in your heart. She knows you loved her so very much and she loved you too, I can assure you. Beardies are the most loving animals I’ve met and you did the best you could for her, which is all that matters. Thank you for relieving her of her pain and giving her all the love she needed.

Echoing

Beardie name(s)
Echo
My love goes out to you and shall we let Liz rest in peace and even though she's gone she will always be up in the clouds watching over you and blessing you with happiness. I can't relate too much because I've never lost a dragon but I have lost a dog before and for 2 years I couldn't think about his death with crying.

I wish you the very best!

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you all so much! Reading your kind words really warms my heart. I didn't think anyone would even click on my post so it is so nice that all of you took the time to read and comment. I miss Liz so much but it's getting a little better day by day.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
This is so sad but I can feel all of the love you have for Liz.

Just know we all love our babies to the best of our abilities and she always knew how much you loved and cared for her. You took a chance and found love. It was only for a moment but it's a love you'll carry with you for the rest of your life. You'll always miss her but you'll always be able to look back on those wonderful memories and photos. ♡♡

Liapera

This is so sweet, I can tell you really loved her.. The things you miss and wish you did better is what you remember, to make life better for those you get to care about next. I think in that way that's how the beardies we loved and lost still have a presence in the future for us and the next lucky buddy.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom