Dealing with high indoor temperatures

mactac

Beardie name(s)
Gary, Nari
Our house gets quite hot inside sometimes in the summer (30-35 degrees Celsius sometimes (95F)). We do not have air conditioning.

It gets so hot that we could probably get away without a heat bulb (is this a good idea?)

The challenge is that the "cool" side of the enclosure won't be the 70-75 degrees that beardies need.

What do people do to keep the temperature down so their beardies are comfortable? I've thought about a portable air conditioner, but I'd need 2 of them (2 enclosures in different rooms), and they would basically be running all day and possibly night too, so that will be a huge expense.

It is ironic, since we're always talking about getting the temperatures up :)

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello, living in Australia myself we have this issue 😅

I do a few things:

In the summer I do swap out the halogen basking light with a visual only one, but I keep Arcadia deep heat projector which is installed right next to the light so there is still an intense beam. In autumn/winter/spring the halogen goes back tho.

Then I hook the DHP to a thermostat that turns off once the probe reaches a certain temp. It's 33C but the probe is placed at a semi ambient location, not the basking. Temp gun on basking hits around 40C so I worked around this in terms of the probe placement.

In the daytime it gets hot, around 30 ambient even on the cool side. It's ok tho, they can tolerate this during the day if it's a short time. Just make sure they have a hide and some source of water so they can shade themselves. I also crack the glass doors open a little more to let some cross-breeze through. Make sure the enclosure is the right size though or you will have issues with managing a sustainable gradient . I had a 3ft enclosure before and this was the issues that inevitably forced me to upgrade.

Hope this helps a little

mactac

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gary, Nari
Hello, living in Australia myself we have this issue 😅

I do a few things:

In the summer I do swap out the halogen basking light with a visual only one, but I keep Arcadia deep heat projector which is installed right next to the light so there is still an intense beam. In autumn/winter/spring the halogen goes back tho.

Then I hook the DHP to a thermostat that turns off once the probe reaches a certain temp. It's 33C but the probe is placed at a semi ambient location, not the basking. Temp gun on basking hits around 40C so I worked around this in terms of the probe placement.

In the daytime it gets hot, around 30 ambient even on the cool side. It's ok tho, they can tolerate this during the day if it's a short time. Just make sure they have a hide and some source of water so they can shade themselves. I also crack the glass doors open a little more to let some cross-breeze through. Make sure the enclosure is the right size though or you will have issues with managing a sustainable gradient . I had a 3ft enclosure before and this was the issues that inevitably forced me to upgrade.

Hope this helps a little

Thanks! Unfortunately, it gets super hot all day, and well into the evening as well. I've got a 4x2x2 enclosure, but since the ambient temperature is super hot, there isn't really anywhere in the enclosure that's an cooler :(

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Perhaps you could put on a small fan near an opening on the cool side? That must be very rough to be so hot all the time for you guys more than the beardie tbh 😅

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
You might be able to place a couple ice packs against the outside of the cool side. I'm not sure how doable that is with your setup, but that would be my first thought.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom