Dartanyan

Dartanyan

Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Hello, quick question I was have trouble bonding with my beardie but I think he is starting to get use to me, my question is, is it normal for my beardie to lay on his stomach with his eyes close while I'm petting him, because I loved it because that's the first time he let me pet him for a long period of time.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Every beardie is different, but yes thats normal. One of mine will lay flat and wiggle in. One will try to prop his chin on mine. ...... then theres my lil monster, good luck keeping her still at all. That is until she is sleepy then she trys to tuck right under my chin.
It takes them time to learn to trust you, you are a giant to them. Have patience and be patient with your dragon, it will get there in its own time..

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Every beardie is different, but yes thats normal. One of mine will lay flat and wiggle in. One will try to prop his chin on mine. ...... then theres my lil monster, good luck keeping her still at all. That is until she is sleepy then she trys to tuck right under my chin.
It takes them time to learn to trust you, you are a giant to them. Have patience and be patient with your dragon, it will get there in its own time..
Thank you so much, so my next question is, should I try and pick him up when he's relaxed like that while I'm petting him cause he still won't let me pick him up.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Be gentle but yes handle him. Short periods at first but longer as he calms down. Another thing dont put him back into his habitat untill he stops trying to get away. It reinforces that behavior.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
He let me hold him... I love it, ima try and do it a little at a time every-day, I love it!!!

Attachments

• 20220710_162643.jpg
    20220710_162643.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 78

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He looks sweet there, he is a pretty dragon to!
You should on your way to a great experience now :) .

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Be gentle but yes handle him. Short periods at first but longer as he calms down. Another thing dont put him back into his habitat untill he stops trying to get away. It reinforces that behavior.
I am guilty of doing this. I stopped. Now when I put her back, she looks at me like, "You want me to go in THERE?!"

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I love when they try to back up into yout hand or just cling to your fingers like "i don't think so buddy" lol

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Hello, so I picked Dartanyan up again today and he puffed his Beard at me and struggled a little bit, but I didn't put him down, he calmed himself as I petted him while he was on my shoulder, my question is, should I have put him back after he puffed out his Beard, or is what I did ok?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
No, you did right. If you put them back every time they act up it reinforces bad behavior. Be gentle but hold your ground. Once they realize they don't get their way they will calm down.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
No, you did right. If you put them back every time they act up it reinforces bad behavior. Be gentle but hold your ground. Once they realize they don't get their way they will calm down.
Ok, just checkin... And it didn't take long for him to calm down, I just wanted to make sure I did the right thing, thank you.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom