Dartanyan won't let me hold him

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Ok, thank you so much... I was a little worried, so he should be ok with the back up light until I can get another one? And it's a reptile light so it does not have the white powdery stuff, it's just not that bright.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The biggest worry with the basking is that they won't digest their food if they don't get up to temp.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Hello,

Question, I can't get Dartanyan to eat veggies, Ive given him Kale and Collard greens/ mustard greens... I'm trying spinach now, and what fruit should I give him, I've tried strawberries, blue berries and grapes, and he won't eat those either, please help! He's just so picky, if its not wiggling or crawling he doesn't want it.

tedbubz

Beardie name(s)
Ted (1 year 2 mo) Western Bearded Dragon - Pogona minor minor)
Hello,

Question, I can't get Dartanyan to eat veggies, Ive given him Kale and Collard greens/ mustard greens... I'm trying spinach now, and what fruit should I give him, I've tried strawberries, blue berries and grapes, and he won't eat those either, please help! He's just so picky, if its not wiggling or crawling he doesn't want it.
I've seen people suggesting sandwiching your insects between greens, mixing up insects and veggies in his feeding bowl and maybe he picks up the veggies too when he goes for the insects, not feeding them insects for a while until they eat the greens, and the most recommended I've seen is to sprinkle pure bee pollen over their greens.

I've tried all of these for my 9 month old but they don't work for me. Asked vet and they said that eventually as they age they will begin to eat the greens themselves. I still offer mine greens every day though.

Hope this helps (or someone more knowledgable can come along) .

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Hello,

Mines love apples and watermelon. For the greens o had to add bee pollen. I don’t use spinach at all. I also add pieces of carrots or sometimes sweet potatoes to the greens with the bee pollen. You will really see the difference with bee pollen.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
I've seen people suggesting sandwiching your insects between greens, mixing up insects and veggies in his feeding bowl and maybe he picks up the veggies too when he goes for the insects, not feeding them insects for a while until they eat the greens, and the most recommended I've seen is to sprinkle pure bee pollen over their greens.

I've tried all of these for my 9 month old but they don't work for me. Asked vet and they said that eventually as they age they will begin to eat the greens themselves. I still offer mine greens every day though.

Hope this helps (or someone more knowledgable can come along) .
That's what I do also I mix them up in his greens, but he pushes the greens out of the way, lol... He's 10 months almost 11, I give him greens every-day also, are there any fruits that you recommend? And he still struggles when I pick him up, is that normal cause he does it every time and I feel bad cause I want him to be out more but he struggles, so I just put him back in.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Mines love apples and watermelon. For the greens o had to add bee pollen. I don’t use spinach at all. I also add pieces of carrots or sometimes sweet potatoes to the greens with the bee pollen. You will really see the difference with bee pollen.
Thank you, ima try bee pollen, some one else told me about that on here but I never tried it, ima also try the sweet potatoes, watermelon and carrots to see how he likes that, I tried apples but he didn't want it, why don't you use spinach, is it bad for them?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Spinach is a calcium binder, you can feed it on occasion but in very small quantities. If given much it will keep them from absorbing the calcium in their food and it will pass right out of them as waste.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Spinach is a calcium binder, you can feed it on occasion but in very small quantities. If given much it will keep them from absorbing the calcium in their food and it will pass right out of them as waste.
Oh ok, I'm glad I asked... Is lettuce ok? I'm just trying different greens, I've been giving him Kale but I wanted to try to switch up a little bit.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Oh ok, I'm glad I asked... Is lettuce ok? I'm just trying different greens, I've been giving him Kale but I wanted to try to switch up a little bit.
No lettuce. I’ve also tried squash and they liked it but I would give it in small amounts. It made mines poop loose when I give it regularly. Lol it was probably me that mentioned the bee pollen. In terms of holding him try taking him out 15-30 mins before lights out and see if he snuggle with you or lay him in a blanket or shirt that you use a lot.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
No lettuce. I’ve also tried squash and they liked it but I would give it in small amounts. It made mines poop loose when I give it regularly. Lol it was probably me that mentioned the bee pollen. In terms of holding him try taking him out 15-30 mins before lights out and see if he snuggle with you or lay him in a blanket or shirt that you use a lot.
Ok, thank you so much for all your help, that's what happened when I gave him kale, lol...sorry if I'm being a nuisance, I just wanna make sure I'm doing things correct

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Your not being a nuisance, the whole point of this site is to help folks learn to give proper care to their beardies, ask any and as many questions as you need to. :)

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Your not being a nuisance, the whole point of this site is to help folks learn to give proper care to their beardies, ask any and as many questions as you need to. :)
Thank you, so I got the sweet potatoes and watermelon and mixed it in with his greens and worms, and he still won't touch it, so do you just give them the fresh sweet potatoes raw? I cut them up small so he'll be able to chew it, should I try just giving it to him by them selves without mixing them in?

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I cut both the watermelon and sweet potatoes in thin slices separate from the greens: I really think it’s the bee pollen thas gone turn things around for you.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom