Dartanyan won't let me hold him

Dartanyan

Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Hello, I've had my beardie since March and I believe he's 9 months old, I've tried everything but when I try to hold him, he runs away, he may let me pet him every now and then, but he will not let me hold him, I'm trying my best to bond with Dartanyan but he's not having it, I have to pretty much chase him and snatch him up when I clean his terreium and I tried to keep him out longer but he Does not like that, I want him to come to me on his own w/o me forcing him. Please help!!!

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Put a piece of your clothing in the cage where he is the most so he can get used to your smell. Doesn’t have to be big. Also, if he lets you and you have time try hand feeding him and see if that helps.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Ok, i will try that... Thank you so much, I was starting to think that he didn't like me, lol

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Another thing that helped with mine is to get them out right before bed time. Let him snuggle up next to your neck, lightly pet him until he goes to sleep( if he will let you). Keep him out like that for a time after he is asleep. I got my last one in april, she was very jumpy and skiddish. Im just now seeing progress. The most important thing is to have patience. Remember we are giants and scary to them. Oh and another thing dont reach in over the top of his head. They have a 3rd eye of sorts on top of their head that senses changes in light. You can scare the bejebbers out of them

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Thank you so much, I just want him to get use to me so he can get out his terrium more, I also heard it could take up to 3-4 months before they get completely use to me, but I'll be patient and try those things you told me, if I have anymore questions, can I bug you again? Lol... Thanks again.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The people here are super helpful and akways willing to help and give advice. The only dumb question is one that isnt asked :)

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Your right ima ask all my questions because I'm a new beardie mommy and I wanna get it right, because I love him and I want him to love me back, I wanna be able to take him out and hold him, thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate it.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Your right ima ask all my questions because I'm a new beardie mommy and I wanna get it right, because I love him and I want him to love me back, I wanna be able to take him out and hold him, thank you guys for all your help, I really appreciate it.
It will come. Mines is SUPER spoiled and I believe he knows he loved and spoiled. Rango was shipped to me and Shyla was purchased at a reptile show. Rango my first I was scared to touch him 1. I didn’t know what to expect and 2. I never thought a bearded dragon would be the pet my spouse and I would choose. But once I got used to him after a few days I would take him a few times a day for 10-15. Then 30mins before his lights went out I would take him out for snuggle time. With Shyla I waited a day and did the same thing. Rango loves snuggling with either on us or our blankets. Now for Shyla when we don’t take her out she comes to the front of the tank and stare at you or she look like she lost her best friend. Just give it time. I think get used to your smell and snuggle time will definitely help.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Ok, that is what Dartanyan does, he will come to the glass like he wants me to take him out, but when I open it to try, he runs away

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Ok, that is what Dartanyan does, he will come to the glass like he wants me to take him out, but when I open it to try, he runs away
When he comes to the front of the cage try hand feeding him with something he likes. Do you have any bee pollen? I sprinkle bee pollen on their greens. Maybe if he licks the bee pollen and like it he will start coming to front more for you to feed him. Once he does that try putting some of your fingers for him to lick off. See if that helps/work

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
When he comes to the front of the cage try hand feeding him with something he likes. Do you have any bee pollen? I sprinkle bee pollen on their greens. Maybe if he licks the bee pollen and like it he will start coming to front more for you to feed him. Once he does that try putting some of your fingers for him to lick off. See if that helps/work
No I don't have any bee pollen, I'll try that... I've tried hand feeding with worms, but he'll either just sit and look at it or he'll run away, I'll try hand feeding him more often, I stopped doing that because he runs away from me, where do I get bee pollen?

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
this is the bee pollen I purchased from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Alovitox-Superfood-Antioxidant-Vitamins-Friendly/dp/B084RTQ8HJ and it has lasted awhile. Also it could be the worms not all beardies like them or they like certain ones. For instance Rango will not eat hornworms and just started eating mealworms at 10mo but I don’t feed them to him often. Also neither will eat bugs with reg calcium powder they only like the flukers strawberry banana kind.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Ok, thank you... He loves meal worms, but he's not to big on kale or the bell peppers, he only likes the red bell peppers, and he'll only eat his Kale only if he feels he has to, should I try feeding him his worms by hand more often? Oh and he's 8months getting ready to be 9months.

Dartanyan

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dartanyan
Hello, I've had my beardie since March and I believe he's 9 months old, I've tried everything but when I try to hold him, he runs away, he may let me pet him every now and then, but he will not let me hold him, I'm trying my best to bond with Dartanyan but he's not having it, I have to pretty much chase him and snatch him up when I clean his terreium and I tried to keep him out longer but he Does not like that, I want him to come to me on his own w/o me forcing him. Please help!!!
Hello, I have a question, Dartanyan's heat lamp went out this morning and I can't get another one till Tuesday, the light that went out is 100 watt, but I have a back up light is a 3U 26 watt light and it's heating his terrium up to 85°, will he be ok till I can get him another light?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's better than nothing, but any clear bright incandescent bulb will work. You can get a halogen bulb from walmart or most any hardware store for like 5 bucks. Just be careful not to get a buld with that white poweded coating inside. LEDs don't work it needs to be incandescent.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom