Dark spots on my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

axeopax

I recently adopted my beardie but I noticed these dark spots showing up on him every once and awhile
I’m afraid its scale rot but I can’t tell!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 135

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
I don’t think it’s scale rot but I can’t tell exactly what it is I believe if was scale rot It would spread out from that one little scale and become a bigger patch and eventually blister and seep and fall off. Normally it’s caused by either to much humidity and wet substrate or bacteria can be spread by mites. Do those black spots move or can you scratch them off gently obviously? Do they come and go in different places? He may have mites when you adopted him what are your humidity readings in the enclosure? I kind of doubt it’s mites they are not very common in bearded dragons but if he was around other reptiles like snakes it’s a possibility but very low.

Here’s an article on scale rot there are lots of others I’m sure you’ve read lol. My dragon has some black spots like that and I think it’s just a pigmentation thing and scales just turn a black color as to the reason I’m not sure?

axeopax

Original Poster
I don’t think it’s scale rot but I can’t tell exactly what it is I believe if was scale rot It would spread out from that one little scale and become a bigger patch and eventually blister and seep and fall off. Normally it’s caused by either to much humidity and wet substrate or bacteria can be spread by mites. Do those black spots move or can you scratch them off gently obviously? Do they come and go in different places? He may have mites when you adopted him what are your humidity readings in the enclosure? I kind of doubt it’s mites they are not very common in bearded dragons but if he was around other reptiles like snakes it’s a possibility but very low.

Here’s an article on scale rot there are lots of others I’m sure you’ve read lol. My dragon has some black spots like that and I think it’s just a pigmentation thing and scales just turn a black color as to the reason I’m not sure?
I don’t have an exact reading on the humidity levels at this very moment but they don’t move and can’t be scratched off.

I think it’s just what you said about the pigmentation, thank you so much! This helped ease me anxieties :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom