Dark eye skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan8116

Hi

My beardie over the last few weeks has a very dark eye patch compared to the rest of her, and sometimes a darker head too. Both eyes are like this. Shes around 6 years old but I'm not sure as I'm not her first owner. She had worms when I got her but treatment went well and she's been worm free for months. Should I be worried about her eyes and darker head??? She eats well (crickets, arugula, superworms twice a month, a few carrots here and there. Peppers etc.) She has Arcadia tube lighting for UVB and a nice basking spot. Etc. I jsut don't know what's going on with her eyes and darker coloring.

Attachments

• 20220102_003204.jpg
    20220102_003204.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220102_003159.jpg
    20220102_003159.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220101_192611.jpg
    20220101_192611.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220101_192555.jpg
    20220101_192555.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 76

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This has just been in the last few weeks, was it a slow progression of discoloration?
It is possible that it is upcoming shed, but, not completely sure. There is always a
chance it could be a fungal issues.
What type of substrate is she on right now? Do you know what the humidity is in her
tank?

Tracie

Megan8116

Original Poster
Hello,

This has just been in the last few weeks, was it a slow progression of discoloration?
It is possible that it is upcoming shed, but, not completely sure. There is always a
What type of substrate is she on right now? Do you know what the humidity is in her
tank?

Tracie
Substrate is lineoleum flooring. Her bathrooms are cleaned up immediately and depending on what if anything got 'hit' includes a combo of bleach with water or vinegar with water and lots of rinsing in hot water. Items are dried before going back in. The darker lids have been ongoing for 2-4 weeks. I'd say the first two weeks it was subtle and would come and go. The last two weeks it's definitely darker and not coming and going. I've attached a few photos of her home that show the general setup and her dig box.

The dig box in her terrarium is part play sand, part top soil (no additives) and she loves her dig box. She'll dig 2-3x a week for hours. Sometimes as many as four hours at once. At first I thought the dark was from digging but I try to give her a nice bath (or rinse off anyway) after a dig session but the dark doesn't come off.

Oh, humidity would be the same as the house. Ballpark 20-30%. She doesn't have any water in her terrarium and I don't mist her. Sometimes she drinks in the bath but not always and not usually very much

Attachments

• 20211010_140917.jpg
    20211010_140917.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20211127_104200.jpg
    20211127_104200.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211010_140920.jpg
    20211010_140920.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 75

Megan8116

Original Poster
Hello,

tank?

Tracie
Also thank you for the quick reply. I am very worried, because I don't know if I should be worried. Sigh also we don't have a reptile vet in our city and getting to one is difficult.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The area around her eye doesn't look damaged or immediately concerning to me. If the color changes have just started in the last few weeks, it's certainly worth keeping an eye on, but I don't know that I'd be worried about it at the moment since she is still eating well and acting normally. It's possibly shed related as mentioned. That would explain why it has changed recently. It may also just be natural coloring for her. Looking at some of the first photos you posted, I see a similar color at the base of her beard down by her neck. It doesn't look damaged or anything, just like she's darkened those scales naturally like they can and do at times. It's possible she just has a patch around her eye that changes the same way. If you see the darkening areas start to expand or similar appearing in other parts of her body that weren't darkening before, it might be worth a visit to a vet, but since it's difficult to get to a vet I wouldn't rush to that option since this doesn't seem critical and may not turn out to be a problem at all.

Megan8116

Original Poster
The area around her eye doesn't look damaged or immediately concerning to me. If the color changes have just started in the last few weeks, it's certainly worth keeping an eye on, but I don't know that I'd be worried about it at the moment since she is still eating well and acting normally. It's possibly shed related as mentioned. That would explain why it has changed recently. It may also just be natural coloring for her. Looking at some of the first photos you posted, I see a similar color at the base of her beard down by her neck. It doesn't look damaged or anything, just like she's darkened those scales naturally like they can and do at times. It's possible she just has a patch around her eye that changes the same way. If you see the darkening areas start to expand or similar appearing in other parts of her body that weren't darkening before, it might be worth a visit to a vet, but since it's difficult to get to a vet I wouldn't rush to that option since this doesn't seem critical and may not turn out to be a problem at all.
I really hope so. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I will keep an eye on her for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom