Dark bloches on neck and chest!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, are you certain that it's not any type of dirt, poo or food smudge ? If you haven't already, soak him for about 10 minutes [ lukewarm water ] and use a toothbrush lightly . If it doesn't come off it may be fungal, you can get betadine as well as Lotrimin anti fungal cream at a drug store. The Betadine can be watered down a bit + applied with a Q-tip 2-3 X a day, then apply the Lamisil at night. If you don't see any improvement after a week or 2 try to get in to a qualified reptile vet. , not just an " exotics " vet.

IdiotBoy

Original Poster
I’ve already soaked him so I guess it is fungal then. Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. It doesn't really look like fungus though. Can you post pics of his set up ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I was just trying to see if there was anything that could have caused some ingrained smudges that would be hard to wash off but I can't see anything that would. BTW, what type of lights do you have ? Don't worry about critical eyes, just want to be sure you have enough heat + uvb. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know the stores sell these fixtures but they're not the greatest. The compact uvb can't cover a big enough area, it can contribute to poor health if the beardie is not directly under it for hours per day to get any uvb. You're much better off getting a long tube linear Reptisun 10.0 that covers a lot more area. Then just put a 2nd lower watt heat bulb in the dome to increase the temp. instead of the compact uvb. I would also suggest a nice log for basking rather than 1 large hammock. The log supports the body + holds the heat much better. You can even find drift wood or other log outside , put it in the oven at 225 for an hour and you'll have a nice basking log.

IdiotBoy

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I’ll look into i. Do you think that it’s definitely fungus though? I don’t want to give him treatment he doesn’t need if that could harm him.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
The lighting should be upgraded. It's not about controversy it is about function. Coil or round bulbs distribute light in a cone shape. This cone shape is fine for a heat light because that creates a smaller area of high heat to lower heat. The UVB light needs to be a long tube style because our available UVB light technology doesn't travel well, especially not in a cone shape. The tube light still creates a higher UVB side and then lower on the other side, then you can have a hide so if you guy wants shade he has it.

Anyway, I'm dealing with something really similar looking for my girl. It stumped my exotics vet. I've been using SSD cream (aka silver sulfanilamide, you need a prescription for it in the US) and I'm adding Betadine to the treatment plan today. Noticed it Saturday, 4 days ago. No changes for good or bad since it sprang up overnight. She even has it on the same cheek...these problem look similar, right?
103228-6856014388.jpg

IdiotBoy

Original Poster
From the picture it looks like a change in texture as well, which I have not experienced. It may not be relevant but the placement and pattern is also different (neck folds and chest rather than beard). Would it be safe to use beta dine and lamisil if there may not be an infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom