D3 vs UV claims

nino

Original Poster
This website states, "Research suggests that Beardies may not utilize much or any of the D3 they ingest (as given in a vitamin supplement), only that made by the UVB-skin interaction."
My question is this: Where can I read this research?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I agree whole heartedly, the idea of intentionally mis-treating any animal much less a beardie just to see what happens don't set well with me at all. The idea the the end supports the means is total B.S.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The main difference between D3 your body naturally produces, and D3 in supplemental form, is your body will only make as much D3 as it needs when exposed to UV. The chemical pathways shut down once enough D3 is circulating in the body, making it impossible to become hypervitaminosis D.

With D3 in supplemental form, your body will attempt to absorb all it can. D being a fat soluble vitamin means it can potentially build up to toxic levels if over supplemented, and the body can suffer from hypervitaminosis D when taken in this form.

That being said.... The amount of D3 in our dragons supplements is much too low (and much too low on the bioavailability scale) to ever need to worry about that. Your dragon would suffer from an overdose on calcium many times over before any ill effects of too much D3 from the supplement occurred.

That also being said... I only use calcium with D3. It's what I've always used. I've never jumped back and fourth between with and without. If i'm dusting with calcium, it contains D3.

How much it helps? I'm not sure. I'm not going to set up an experiment where one dragon gets good lights and no supplements and the other gets no lights but D3 supplements.. unethical IMO and not necessary. But, the D3 in the supplement doesn't hurt, so it stays.

-Brandon
Good info and I agree for the most part. I hope that what I said about switching wasn't taken as being experimenting. I should have been more clear, the times that my dragons spend most many hours outside I sometimes make the conscious decision to not use calcium w/D3. I read the Reptiles mag. article by Allen Repashy and that is stickied at the top of the " general " forum here on this forum. He mentioned some things about calcium + D3 in that article.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree whole heartedly, the idea of intentionally mis-treating any animal much less a beardie just to see what happens don't set well with me at all. The idea the the end supports the means is total B.S.
I hope that wasn't the impression that you got from my post., my determinations were in line with what I read by long time reptile breeder who wrote about vit. D3 toxicity in this article that is stickied in this forum at the top of the " general" thread.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wanted to add that at the end of the day I think we all want healthy dragons and that shows in our quest for the latest + best info . I respect all the opinions contributing to this thread and am sure that we all love our dragons. :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I hope that wasn't the impression that you got from my post., my determinations were in line with what I read by long time reptile breeder who wrote about vit. D3 toxicity in this article that is stickied in this forum at the top of the " general" thread.

Oh no not at all, i was replying to something Claudiusx was talking about, never in my weirdest dreams would i think you would want to experiment on them or brandon either for that matter. ( i should have replied to his post in stead of just commenting, I'm sorry)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh I know, I wasn't trying to direct it at you or imply that you were requesting it :) The subject has come up before in the past during another discussion (not with you :) )

While I do agree that Vit D can become toxic, I don't believe that it can happen from our powdered supplements in the way we use them. Maybe a liquid version that also includes D3 (because a liquid version would most likely be much more bioavailable).

I just haven't seen it ever, in my own dragons or in dragons here. That of course doesn't mean it doesn't happen and doesn't get misdiagnosed, but I've seen more dragons suffering from a lack of calcium absorption, which would directly be related to a lack of D3 in the body.

And in all the bloodwork that I've seen here over the years, I can't recall ever seeing 25(OH)D levels that were at a toxic range. All this of course isn't very scientific, but it leads me to my own opinion of D3 and how we use it not being an issue.

I don't think it's a make or break issue. I know many (maybe most?) people rotate calcium with and without, and their dragons don't develop MBD. But, I still appreciate the discussion on it :) It's how communities grow and learn IMO. Maybe it was more important of a supplement back in the dreaded days of our T8 bulbs ontop of our screens (how did we ever survive... :ROFLMAO:)

-Brandon

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I followed your post, i was basicly agreeing with you, but i didn't click reply. I just posted a comment, and caused a little confusion i think, I'll try to be more mindful in the future.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom