Current Salmonella outbreak linked to beardies; 25 states

Status
Not open for further replies.

NexusGod

So for anyone that has owned or thinking about owning bearded dragons; during any amount of research, I'm sure we have all came across the word salmonella. It has been well known for years that there is a risk. My issue is that most of the news cycles do not comment on the percentage of the risk nor give any substantial science behind it and are just using this issue to fearmonger people away from owning beardies.

The chances of getting salmonella are extremely low and the "CDC" who has been known to be unreliable about pretty much everything and loves to throw out blanket statements without citing any kind of sources, along with the news channels, are going to show beardies in such a negative light that I'm sure there are going to be new owners and parents who are probably most likely going to now get rid of their childrens beardies due to lack of information and based off of fear driven by all of the news channels. This issue comes up in the news literally every few years and its sad that tens of news studios across the world have all chosen to flood the news cycle with this information all at the same time.

Some of these articles are literally just a paragraph long stating to wash your hands and dont have your beardies near the kitchen. In my experience with my beardies and other pets, its just common sense to keep yourself and their habitat as clean as possible. I just hate the fact that I know there are going to be a lot of beardies in the near future that are going to suffer because of the news and the CDC.

I know plenty of owners and breeders who will literally wash some of the beardies things like clothing and feeding dishes and etc right along with the things that humans use. I am in no way encouraging people to be lackadaisical in cleanliness or sanitation but I'm just reiterating that these cases and past cases are in no way a reason to start treating your beardie different and it doesn't mean you need to get rid of your beardie out of fear.

The symptoms of Salmonella are upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, and pain and cramping in your belly, blood in stool, etc. It can last anywhere from 4-7 days and the symptoms usually show up 1-3 days after initial infection. Obviously, if you experience any of this or anyone in your household experiences any of these symptoms you should seek professional medical help. https://www.verywellhealth.com/is-salmonella-contagious-5181180.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So for anyone that has owned or thinking about owning bearded dragons; during any amount of research, I'm sure we have all came across the word salmonella. It has been well known for years that there is a risk. My issue is that most of the news cycles do not comment on the percentage of the risk nor give any substantial science behind it and are just using this issue to fearmonger people away from owning beardies.

The chances of getting salmonella are extremely low and the "CDC" who has been known to be unreliable about pretty much everything and loves to throw out blanket statements without citing any kind of sources, along with the news channels, are going to show beardies in such a negative light that I'm sure there are going to be new owners and parents who are probably most likely going to now get rid of their childrens beardies due to lack of information and based off of fear driven by all of the news channels. This issue comes up in the news literally every few years and its sad that tens of news studios across the world have all chosen to flood the news cycle with this information all at the same time.

Some of these articles are literally just a paragraph long stating to wash your hands and dont have your beardies near the kitchen. In my experience with my beardies and other pets, its just common sense to keep yourself and their habitat as clean as possible. I just hate the fact that I know there are going to be a lot of beardies in the near future that are going to suffer because of the news and the CDC.

I know plenty of owners and breeders who will literally wash some of the beardies things like clothing and feeding dishes and etc right along with the things that humans use. I am in no way encouraging people to be lackadaisical in cleanliness or sanitation but I'm just reiterating that these cases and past cases is in no way a reason to start treating your beardie different and it doesn't mean you need to get rid of your beardie out of fear.

The symptoms of Salmonella are upset stomach, diarrhea, fever, and pain and cramping in your belly, blood in stool, etc. It can last anywhere from 4-7 days and the symptoms usually show up 1-3 days after initial infection. Obviously, if you experience any of this or anyone in your household experiences any of these symptoms you should seek professional medical help. https://www.verywellhealth.com/is-salmonella-contagious-5181180.

ps://www.foxnews.com/health/salmonella-outbreak-tied-to-pet-bearded-dragons-cdc-says

I saw that and there is always a risk of some sort w/ any animal -- its just common sense to wash your hands after handling the animal

Last edited by a moderator:

NexusGod

Original Poster
I saw that and there is always a risk of some sort w/ any animal -- its just common sense to wash your hands after handling the animal
I wash my hands before and after as well as I own land and aquatic pets. And exactly, it should be common practice but there are those that don’t even think twice about bacterial or viral transmission

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I wish those articles would address the conditions the animal is kept in. I'm willing to bet their enclosures are not kept clean. Ours gets deep cleaned once a week and then spot cleaned every time he poops. Cleaner then F10 or something similar. I hate seeing pictures that have a ton of old dried up food, multiple poops, etc. in them. I wouldn't want to live in that, why should an animal have to? Of course they will pass on disease/illness under those conditions.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is such an extremely low amount , it's really no surprise or cause for panic . It should just be taken as a reminder to use common sense cleaning practices as already mentioned. Keep in mind that all reptiles can carry salmonella no matter how clean their surroundings are, it comes from even unseen, trace amounts of fecal matter. People can get salmonella from most animals including your furry ones as well as birds, turtles, fish tanks, etc. Same goes with petting zoos, there's always a small risk of some type of G.I. problem if people don't wash their hands after handling the animals. Always supervise young children with pets, for a number of reasons, illness being just one.

NexusGod

Original Poster
I wish those articles would address the conditions the animal is kept in. I'm willing to bet their enclosures are not kept clean. Ours gets deep cleaned once a week and then spot cleaned every time he poops. Cleaner then F10 or something similar. I hate seeing pictures that have a ton of old dried up food, multiple poops, etc. in them. I wouldn't want to live in that, why should an animal have to? Of course they will pass on disease/illness under those conditions.
I also fully clean/f10 about once a week and spot clean every poop. Mine hates his poops and either poops in one of the food dishes in his enclosure that I don’t even use; it’s mostly for decoration, or during his bath. When he poops he glass surfs telling me to get it lol. The only time I may skip a deep clean is if he’s shedding. I wait for the shed to finish then I have a handvac right next to the enclosure for the carpet.

But yes, they never show the conditions of the habitat or any information on how the beardie was cared for. They actually don’t offer much of anything except “you can get salmonella from beardies; wash your hands.”

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
That is such an extremely low amount , it's really no surprise or cause for panic . It should just be taken as a reminder to use common sense cleaning practices as already mentioned. Keep in mind that all reptiles can carry salmonella no matter how clean their surroundings are, it comes from even unseen, trace amounts of fecal matter. People can get salmonella from most animals including your furry ones as well as birds, turtles, fish tanks, etc. Same goes with petting zoos, there's always a small risk of some type of G.I. problem if people don't wash their hands after handling the animals. Always supervise young children with pets, for a number of reasons, illness being just one.
I absolutely agree with any animal can carry salmonella. My thought process was that people that don't care for their animals well are even more likely to also not follow good hand washing practices, increasing their chance of illness. When it comes to hand washing after handling my beardie, I follow the same practice I would if I had handled raw chicken, because it can carry salmonella, too. Is it a concern? Yes. Is illness likely if done correctly? Probably not.

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member

I know plenty of owners and breeders who will literally wash some of the beardies things like clothing and feeding dishes and etc right along with the things that humans use. I am in no way encouraging people to be lackadaisical in cleanliness or sanitation but I'm just reiterating that these cases and past cases are in no way a reason to start treating your beardie different and it doesn't mean you need to get rid of your beardie out of fear.

I have just seen the news and it’s unacceptable my parents were just telling me to wash my hand after like they always do! but it’s not gonna change how I treat it I love it but it will for some people they are been really rude and mean by pointing at poor reptiles that can’t speak for themselves I’m afraid that people are gonna keep telling me to get rid of my bearded dragon or be scared of it and me

Last edited by a moderator:

NexusGod

Original Poster
I have just seen the news and it’s unacceptable my parents were just telling me to wash my hand after like they always do! but it’s not gonna change how I treat it I love it but it will for some people they are been really rude and mean by pointing at poor reptiles that can’t speak for themselves I’m afraid that people are gonna keep telling me to get rid of my bearded dragon or be scared of it and me

Yes, it’s unfortunate. I know people that are scared of my beardie just because they see claws and teeth on a docile creature that doesn’t move unless it has to but aren’t scared of my fish in a tank who will actually bite lol They are more scary than my bearded dragon.

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Yes, it’s unfortunate. I know people that are scared of my beardie just because they see claws and teeth on a docile creature that doesn’t move unless it has to but aren’t scared of my fish in a tank who will actually bite lol They are more scary than my bearded dragon.
Lol my parents are kind scared of my bearded dragon but my mum is less now she CHECKS one him more than me she always comes to my room because of him lol and they are so cute she even agreed
57710070-1833-4B1B-8FE9-F89513A173AB.jpeg

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
These sorts of figures always make me laugh because they can be biased in any way you please.

I could also say with certainty that 100% of these people handled food which is another source of salmonella :)

wendysn63

Hatchling Member
I have avery reason to believe that members of the CDC and the media have not owned a beardie. we have three and three frillies. To this day I have gotten sick from other people more than I have my babies. We keep them and their enclosures clean and we always clean up after handling them. I practiced all the the CDC guidelines as well as the medias and WHO but still I got COVID so I will and do not put any trust in what they say.

NexusGod

Original Poster
I have avery reason to believe that members of the CDC and the media have not owned a beardie. we have three and three frillies. To this day I have gotten sick from other people more than I have my babies. We keep them and their enclosures clean and we always clean up after handling them. I practiced all the the CDC guidelines as well as the medias and WHO but still I got COVID so I will and do not put any trust in what they say.
Oh my goodness… THIS. I love this post and exactly. The facts are, they just make up the rules as they go to stifle panic but regardless, it is extremely rare that you will catch it from your beardie. Way higher risk with food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom