current feeding schedule

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
i just wanted to go ahead and share my feeding schedule in case if theres anything i can be doing better. reggie is between 180 and 185 grams and around 13 inches long. hes 4 months old. he gets fed crickets and dubias twice a day. he eats around 30 bugs each feeding but hes been acting like hes not really full by the end so im wondering if i should do a little more? sometimes i feed other bugs like super or horn worms but not all the time. the bugs are fed zilla gutload cricket drink. he gets a salad everyday. for salads i try and change up the fruits and veggies a little each day but the greens are just whichever we have until we run out and we get a new kind. they contain collard greens, turnip greens, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, carrots, frozen mango, apple, blue berries, strawberries, raspberries, and frozen okra. some of this stuff is more common than others. i sprinkle this with bee pollen everyday and normally some flower food topper. i havent really caught him eating the salad but it seems to look like a little has been eaten by the end of the day. i also have flavored calcium but i dont really use it cause he likes the pollen more. do you guys have any camera recommendations so i can see for sure that hes eating them? any advice is greatly appreciated

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He needs calcium once per day everyday. It's better to dust the bugs lightly since you know he will eat them.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
He needs calcium once per day everyday. It's better to dust the bugs lightly since you know he will eat them.
omg yes i totally forgot to mention that he gets calcium on around 10 bugs everyday. sometimes on the weekend i do a multi vitamin instead of calcium but not often

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
i just wanted to go ahead and share my feeding schedule in case if theres anything i can be doing better. reggie is between 180 and 185 grams and around 13 inches long. hes 4 months old. he gets fed crickets and dubias twice a day. he eats around 30 bugs each feeding but hes been acting like hes not really full by the end so im wondering if i should do a little more? sometimes i feed other bugs like super or horn worms but not all the time. the bugs are fed zilla gutload cricket drink. he gets a salad everyday. for salads i try and change up the fruits and veggies a little each day but the greens are just whichever we have until we run out and we get a new kind. they contain collard greens, turnip greens, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, carrots, frozen mango, apple, blue berries, strawberries, raspberries, and frozen okra. some of this stuff is more common than others. i sprinkle this with bee pollen everyday and normally some flower food topper. i havent really caught him eating the salad but it seems to look like a little has been eaten by the end of the day. i also have flavored calcium but i dont really use it cause he likes the pollen more. do you guys have any camera recommendations so i can see for sure that hes eating them? any advice is greatly appreciated
A healthier gutload for your bugs is natural: anything healthy your beardie can eat, should be used to gutload. I don't feed my guy carrots, so I gutload with collard/turnip/mustard greens, carrots, and on occasion organic apples.

I truly don't trust the commercial gut load products...may just be me, being extra cautious!

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Have you tried hand feeding the greens? It probably doesn't work as well if he is not already taking bugs from your hands, but that's how I've had the best luck with salad.

I always offer the salad first when I know Beebz is hungry and he'll eat a decent amount before he ignores it until the bugs come out. I started off with small pieces but now I can hold out a kale leaf and he will take bites. Whatever is left over goes in the salad dish and some days he will eat most of it. Some days he ignores it.

As far as the insects I don't know, I'm constantly debating exactly how much to feed. Beebz is around 14in 135g at roughly the same age as Reggie so I don't think your starving him at least.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
The kasa indoor camera is nice, has motion detection and the app is awesome. This is how I have known when and how many greens my guy eats.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Have you tried hand feeding the greens? It probably doesn't work as well if he is not already taking bugs from your hands, but that's how I've had the best luck with salad.

I always offer the salad first when I know Beebz is hungry and he'll eat a decent amount before he ignores it until the bugs come out. I started off with small pieces but now I can hold out a kale leaf and he will take bites. Whatever is left over goes in the salad dish and some days he will eat most of it. Some days he ignores it.

As far as the insects I don't know, I'm constantly debating exactly how much to feed. Beebz is around 14in 135g at roughly the same age as Reggie so I don't think your starving him at least.
yes ive tried he just looks away lol. he will eat the veggies sometimes from hand but not the greens

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom