Critical Care Dosage

FrogWorld

Beardie name(s)
Frog
My bearded dragon, Frog (2 M), tested positive for Atadenovirus. Vet sent me home with critical care herbivorous and insectivorous. Since feeding, he seems to be getting worse though? I'm worried that he's eating too much and it's putting more stress on his organs. Prior to the vet visit, he was refusing to eat, but would still sometimes get up and move around. It's been about a week, and now he doesn't even want to hold his head up anymore. He just sleeps all day and keeps his eyes closed when I pick him up. He was prescribed for 1 tsp critical care (herbivorous) 3x a day. Adding the water together, winds up being about 3.5 mL of dosage per feeding, so over 10mL of critical care. He weighs about 430 g. Any advice on dosage, or any thing else I can do to help him out besides critical care and soaks?

**edit: he started taking a turn for the worst a little over a month ago, and over the course of a month lost 80 or so g in mass. Just to give an idea of the condition he’s in.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Tracie @Drache613 would be the best to ask for advice, she is a vet tech

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon has Adeno. Was he doing better prior to the critical care formula? What was he
eating before you started him on the powdered food?
Do you have pictures of him, along with pictures of your tank setup?
Maybe try a different slurry. Use chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potato or squash baby
food. Be sure it is organic though, to cut down on chemicals, etc & modified ingredients.
Let's review your supplementation & UVB lighting, etc so we can be sure everything is all correct for him.

Tracie

FrogWorld

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frog
Hello,

Sorry your dragon has Adeno. Was he doing better prior to the critical care formula? What was he
eating before you started him on the powdered food?
Do you have pictures of him, along with pictures of your tank setup?
Maybe try a different slurry. Use chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with sweet potato or squash baby
food. Be sure it is organic though, to cut down on chemicals, etc & modified ingredients.
Let's review your supplementation & UVB lighting, etc so we can be sure everything is all correct for him.

Tracie
He seemed slightly better prior to the critical care. Today however, his mood seems to be a bit better! Climbing and moving around instead of laying in one spot. Albeit a little sluggish and clumsy. Big problem though, there’s blood in his stool. But his fecal tests were negative. Any idea what that might be?

Prior to the critical care he was getting about 5mL/day of flukers reptiboost because he was refusing solid food/didn’t want to eat on his own. Didn’t really get him back to normal though, kinda just made him stable. His usual routine is collared greens, daily, and dubia roaches or super worms every other day dusted with calcium. He gets a few blueberries once a week with a multivitamin powder. 120G tank. Title substrate. Basking temp 105, ambient 85. 30% humidity. Left dome is basking bulb, right dome is CHE for when it gets cold. 36” uvb fixture with a bulb I just replaced.
01DE65FE-5F58-4F47-AF94-B6173F39AFB5.jpeg
8B787B3E-9297-4DF2-B078-34A9326D1344.jpeg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, he looks a bit stressed. I think he could use some hydration. His tail base is thin so
this is crucial. Try to get some black or tart cherry juice, & dilute it to give to him daily. Or you
could also get some sugar free or organic (get a formula without artificial sugar/sweeteners)
Pedialyte or gatorade & dilute it to a 1 part solution to 3 parts water to try & get him hydrated.
Get organic chicken & or turkey baby food, mixed with organic squash or sweet potato baby food.
Blend that together with greens to get some nutrition into him. How often do you use the powdered
calcium for him?
It is critical to get him hydrated as soon as possible. I don't like the thin tail base.
Just use a plastic dropper or syringe to drop the food onto his nose to see if he will lick that off
of his nose.
The tank is great sized for him. Since you are using a tube UVB, what brand is it? It looks like
the tube is on top of the screen top, correct?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

FrogWorld

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frog
Hello,

Poor guy, he looks a bit stressed. I think he could use some hydration. His tail base is thin so
this is crucial. Try to get some black or tart cherry juice, & dilute it to give to him daily. Or you
could also get some sugar free or organic (get a formula without artificial sugar/sweeteners)
Pedialyte or gatorade & dilute it to a 1 part solution to 3 parts water to try & get him hydrated.
Get organic chicken & or turkey baby food, mixed with organic squash or sweet potato baby food.
Blend that together with greens to get some nutrition into him. How often do you use the powdered
calcium for him?
It is critical to get him hydrated as soon as possible. I don't like the thin tail base.
Just use a plastic dropper or syringe to drop the food onto his nose to see if he will lick that off
of his nose.
The tank is great sized for him. Since you are using a tube UVB, what brand is it? It looks like

Tracie
Nope, tube is mounted inside. Usually I use Arcadia, but haven’t been able to find the bulb I use from Arcadia anywhere recently, so I got a Reptisun one. Calcium every other day because it’s dusted with his insects. Hasn’t been doing too great. He looks great in the morning, but by the afternoon he’s ready to sleep. Weight is stable/isn’t loosing it anymore. About how much of the slurry and dilute solution should I be giving him? I’ll try your suggestions and let you know how he’s doing tomorrow.

FrogWorld

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frog
Hello,

calcium for him?
of his nose.

Tracie
Update: appears to be displaying signs of respiratory infection, might’ve occurred when I was giving him a bath? I’m not sure. But he’s gotten very much worse. Refusing to move and open his eyes.

FrogWorld

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frog
Final Update:
After seeing him gaping for prolonged periods of time I attempted to rush him to the ER. Unfortunately, he passed during transit, about two hours ago. Thank you to everyone that has read/replied.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost him suddenly. I know
how awful loss is. I am so glad that he wasn't
alone & that you were with him.
My condolences. :cry:
Tracie

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom