Crickets Worms and Dubia Gut Loading

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys I'm only feeding my beardies with crickets and meal worms 2 times a week for the crickets i currently have a container and I put sweet potatoes in with them but I am looking to add a wider food range. I was gonna get a larger container and add food/water and maybe hold a bit more bugs. Would I be able to house them (bugs) longer if I was adding more food like greens and veggies just to give my beardies a wider range of nutrition when I do feed them bugs. I'm not buying them in the 100s but a good 2 dozen crickets once a week my main thing is to provide my beardies with as much nutrition as possible. They are picky and stubborn beardies that don't really like greens/veggies so the crickets will hopefully be packed with vitamins and suffice till i can obtain Dubias which are currently out of stock

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
They say that crickets are the best go insects because they have a lot of vitamins. What I do when I'm feeding my beardie is first, make sure that they are no bigger then between their eyes. Then, I would sprinkle a little bit of calcium(I only do either a half- to a pinch of calcium. how I feed my beardie her greens is that after I give her her meal worms, then I give her the greens and kinda move it around and she'll bite down on her greens. That's what I used to do but now, every time I give it to her, she'll bite down on it and will not let go

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I would try to get some Bee pollen, dandelion powder or a Bearded dragon salad dressings. In my opinion a dragon eating its greens is crucial part of diet in the long run it will not be good lacking all those veggies. The pollen almost always works that’s what I got to get my baby eating greens I also have a salad dressing that I was spectacle about but it turned out to work great. But yes gut loading is definitely a good practice. Feeding them greens will def help where the dragon is lacking eating them itself.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would try to get some Bee pollen, dandelion powder or a Bearded dragon salad dressings. In my opinion a dragon eating its greens is crucial part of diet in the long run it will not be good lacking all those veggies. The pollen almost always works that’s what I got to get my baby eating greens I also have a salad dressing that I was spectacle about but it turned out to work great. But yes gut loading is definitely a good practice. Feeding them greens will def help where the dragon is lacking eating them itself.
I have be pollen and had dressing none worked my beardie Amber needs to be syringe fed critical care and baby food. But lately week or 2 she is back to eating worms and 1-2 crickets but mostly worms ie mealworms butter worms and BSFL and stopped the syringe feeding for now anyways. If she can eat BSFL every day I call that a win and I will continue to try and get BOTH of my beardies to eat veggies/greens what I have thought of was making a bug salad. Sorta like a sandwich type of deal have healthy bugs wrapped in veggies/greens and hand feed them so they get both and isn't able to pick out only bugs by themselves

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
That’s a pretty cool idea wrapping big in green LOL. Well I hope things get better for you. Have you done to handful of the black soldier on the salad

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That’s a pretty cool idea wrapping big in green LOL. Well I hope things get better for you. Have you done to handful of the black soldier on the salad
Thank you and yes they both picked them out I will probably need to do hornworms or butterworms bc the BSFL are to small though they BOTH been eating the BSFL like crazy 😅

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Yeah it takes a lot of bsfl. A lot of not digested bsfl posts due to how they just gulp em down. We’ve also seen this. I like to give them to Frey’ja few times a month because the cal. ratio and low fat, easy on the tummy.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
My Cheech was not even interested in greens or veggies with bee pollen. I have tried everything under the sun and he is just a picky boy.

dogndragonmom

Photo Comp Winner
YAY he ran over to his salad bowl not once but TWICE today!! I have been feeding him bugs, but a lesser amount so that he will chose his salads instead and it is working!!!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom