cricket container...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hicks08

how big of a sterilite tub should be used to house 1,000 adult crickets??? and what about a top? i would feel better with a top on it just in case... and to just poke holes in the top or something... but i dont know! help?!

mudcats70

hey, go to premium crickets.com and they have some youtube things on what to house them in and everything thats where i go they alright deals there go check it out. hope this helped.
MUDCATS70

neecie

Juvie Member
I just have a screen set on top of my plastic trash can..........they really don't even jump up that high, but it feels right.

hicks08

Original Poster
yea we got a rubbermaid tub from target last night, it works out for now but i need to find a place to put it at without stinkin up the house!! :?

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
Be sure you got a clear tub...the colored ones often look smooth, but actually have a slight texture inside and the crickets can climb out.

neecie

Juvie Member
I keep my container in my guest bathroom tub w/curtain closed and sometimes even the door. If anyone is visiting, I put the contained in my tub for that time. The stink depends on how long 1,000 last. I don't buy that many at a shot. I also keep a white plastic bag (you could use 2 or 3) and when the crickets are gone from that one - I dump it: poo, leftover anything..........easier than washing out.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
mudcats70":fb463 said:
it really dosn't matter as long as you have a lid.
MUDCATS70

If a cricket can climb it, it doens't matter if he lid is on or not they will make it out eventually.

Most cricket breeders recommend that you don't put a lid on it because crickets need huge amounts of ventalation. I don't keep a lid on my bins but, I got the biggest clear bin I could find. It was 30 bucks bu, well worth it.

ernie

neecie

Juvie Member
As I said above, my tall trash can with a plastic bag prevents any climbing crickets - but I set a screen on to not be concerned.

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
I cannot resist. I am new here and I detest crickets. I have a vendetta against them. Everything about them especially that smell!
Do yourself and your animals a huge favor and switch over to roaches. You'll be so glad you did and the best part is that you won't hear them or smell them! Even if you have 1,000 of them sitting in a tub in your livingroom when you have company over.

But I did have a possible solution to the cricket climbing problem. With certain species of roach that climb we just smear vasoline around about 3 inches from the top of the tub. They climb up... and slide down... I don't see why this method wouldn't work w/ crickets as well. But if I'm wrong than someone please correct me.

-Ian

hicks08

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's help!!! We found a bin and everything but they stink so bad!! Next time I don't think we're gonna order as many at a time. A lot of them died when shipped because they were outside in the 30 some degree weather :(

O well!! Thanks yall :D

patrickb

Juvie Member
Crickets are gonna stink, thats one of three things they do in their lifespan. :O

Aside from switching to roaches, eliminating the stink (to a degree) can be done with meticulous housekeeping. Keep the cricket container cleaned out daily. All of the dead crickets, skins, and poo needs to be removed daily. Increase the ventilation in the container as well. This will make a *HUGE* difference in their smell. Keeping less of them at a time will help as well, but not nearly as much as the daily housekeeping will. Crickets just plain stink, no way around it. Roaches are the solution. :p

patrickb

Juvie Member
You may have to reorganize the eggcrates of whatever you use so you can get to all the frass, as most of it will be where the eggcrates are. Sweep all of the frass and dead crickets to one end of the container, then scoop it out with a mini dust pan or something similar. I use a small 1" painters brush as my broom for the bins. The live crickets will run back to the egg crates to hide usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom