Could you tell me what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
So I am reading up on crocodile skinks because I was curious and interested in getting one when I found this persons' photography.
I was amazed when I stumbled across these little (or big!) creatures. Anyone have a clue as to what they are?

CPRalbinoDRAGON.jpg

CPR..DRAGON.jpg

Vermundor

Hatchling Member
The first picture is of an Albino Dragon Snake. Xenodermus javanicus (The lower picture is a different morph)

Gorgeous snake! It took me a few minutes to find it, but it was definitely an interesting find.

"Javan mudsnake Xenodermis javanicus is a Colubrid snake found in South East Asia. It is noted for having large non-overlapping knobby scales of various diameters. The Javan Mudsnake has an enlarged head, heavily ridged scales separated by areas of much smaller scales, and an elongated tail. It is found in rice fields and feeds on frogs. They can reach to about three feet."

"Though discovered in 1846, this unique serpent, called Xenodermus javanicus by scientists, is very rare in the pet trade, and is still quite unknown, even amongst herpetologists. There is very limited information about this snake on-line or elsewhere, and its relative ambuguity, has led to several common names, adding to its mystery. Commonly called the Dragon snake, Javan Mudsnake and Tubercle Snake, this animal, found in Southeast Asia, and belongs to its own genus, meaning that it currently has no close relatives currently accepted by science."

......... I want one now LOL. Really pretty snakes, I was reading around a bit and someone was selling a pair for 5,000 a few years ago. Its husbandry though is pretty unknown so unless you find another species of snake living in the same region that shares similarities it'd be pretty hard to care for them properly. (Not like anyone would actually pay 2500 dollars for a snake that they practically know nothing about LOL)

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Vermundor":2h1l788f said:
The first picture is of an Albino Dragon Snake. Xenodermus javanicus (The lower picture is a different morph)

Gorgeous snake! It took me a few minutes to find it, but it was definitely an interesting find.

"Javan mudsnake Xenodermis javanicus is a Colubrid snake found in South East Asia. It is noted for having large non-overlapping knobby scales of various diameters. The Javan Mudsnake has an enlarged head, heavily ridged scales separated by areas of much smaller scales, and an elongated tail. It is found in rice fields and feeds on frogs. They can reach to about three feet."

"Though discovered in 1846, this unique serpent, called Xenodermus javanicus by scientists, is very rare in the pet trade, and is still quite unknown, even amongst herpetologists. There is very limited information about this snake on-line or elsewhere, and its relative ambuguity, has led to several common names, adding to its mystery. Commonly called the Dragon snake, Javan Mudsnake and Tubercle Snake, this animal, found in Southeast Asia, and belongs to its own genus, meaning that it currently has no close relatives currently accepted by science."

......... I want one now LOL. Really pretty snakes, I was reading around a bit and someone was selling a pair for 5,000 a few years ago. Its husbandry though is pretty unknown so unless you find another species of snake living in the same region that shares similarities it'd be pretty hard to care for them properly. (Not like anyone would actually pay 2500 dollars for a snake that they practically know nothing about LOL)

Wow, I def give you kudos for finding anything, haha. This snake is certainly unique (and yes I admit, I want one too, haha. But of course, having never seen it before, I doubted it was even in pet trade. You proved me wrong! but 5k? yeah... think I'll skip out on owning this one ^^)

But I love them! And haha, they do look like a belt. Wonder if they are docile at all? They look pretty mellow.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Wow...the contrast of color is amazing and gorgeous. You could NOT have one without the other in a viv right next to it.
Most unique I have seen posted on a site for certain!

~Sherri
Oh...I am going to combine pics and they will be my desktop wallpaper.....kewl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom