Could I actually be hurting my beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I have read that superworms are an excellent staple protein feeder for Beardies, so I switched from the typical cricket/mealworm meals I was doing before. This was many months ago, but probably less than a year. I have a 2 year old, a 8 month old, and a 7 month old. The oldest is on a hunger dtrike due to brumation so he won't eat anything but waxworms, which i offer VERY sparingly.

But on a normal basis, my 2 year old may get 30 a week. The 2 youger ones however I usually offer them about 10-15 a day since they are still growing babies. I feed them the worms along with a kale/squash/fruit salad.

My problem is, I had a lady come into my work the other day (i work at petco)....she said she had an almost 14 year old beardie and a 7 year old. She has had the 14 year old from day one I believe she also had a second before this 7 year old one came along that she said died of fatty liver disease at 5 years old due to superworms being his staple protein. I didn't think they were that high in fat? Could I be damaging my beardies internals? Should I take superworms off their diet? The lady seemed pretty knowledgeable and loved her beardies very much. She came in to buy 90 crickets for them. So that is obviously their staple...

I want to know what everyone feeds theirs as a staple as a protein.. this lady said she hand fed hers crickets, but my baby that I bought in July doesn't fully trust me yet and neither does my other young one that i adopted about 2 months ago. And I dont like the idea of letting loose crickets in the tank...

I'm just really worried now.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hello
Here is some info for you:
Supers:
Ca:p Protein Fat Fiber Water Notes
1:18 17.4% 7.9% 6.8% 60% High phosphorus, dust or inject to increase calcium
Crickets:
1:12 21.3% 6.0% 3.2% 70% Gut-load & dust to increase calcium

Thats the nutrition content in both feeders.Now you can see that yes supers have a higher fat content BUT the CA:p is better, and the difference in fat content is not stark.Now consider the the amount of supers fed vs. the amount of crix fed,this would at minimum cancel out the increase in fat content.I seriously doubt that the 1.7% difference would have caused the fatty liver disease.Instead it was more likely that they were overfed live feeders instead of veggies and did not stick to the 80%veggie/20%protien regiment that is recommended.It also doesnt cover the fact that crickets along with their nutritional value carry a much higher risk of causing parasitic disease.I am not saying crix are a bad feeder what I am saying is that there are pros and cons to both and neither is wrong providing the rules for each are followed.I am sure this woman really thought thats what caused this but I highly doubt it like I said it was most likely a case of feeding the wrong ratio of foods.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't take them completely out of their diet, but I wouldn't use them as a staple either. I feed all of my larger beardies supers, but along with several other kinds of feeders as well. I use roaches as a staple because Dr. Daniel Wentz DVM had told me that crickets can be a main contributor to parasites. They eat each other and their poop. :puke: Where the roaches are not carnivores like crickets.

If you don't want to use roaches an I don't blame you for not wanting to use crickets just give them some variety in the live feeders so they get a more balanced diet along with their salads.

EclpsPrinc

Juvie Member
I've read in multiple places that the chitin on the superworms actually binds a good percentage of the fat content and is passed thru beardies without being absorbed into their systems. Don't know how much truth there is to this but you may want to do some research on it. :dontknow:

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
vickson420":28f5f said:
Hello
Here is some info for you:
Supers:
Ca:p Protein Fat Fiber Water Notes
1:18 17.4% 7.9% 6.8% 60% High phosphorus, dust or inject to increase calcium
Crickets:
1:12 21.3% 6.0% 3.2% 70% Gut-load & dust to increase calcium

Thats the nutrition content in both feeders.Now you can see that yes supers have a higher fat content BUT the CA:p is better, and the difference in fat content is not stark.Now consider the the amount of supers fed vs. the amount of crix fed,this would at minimum cancel out the increase in fat content.I seriously doubt that the 1.7% difference would have caused the fatty liver disease.Instead it was more likely that they were overfed live feeders instead of veggies and did not stick to the 80%veggie/20%protien regiment that is recommended.It also doesnt cover the fact that crickets along with their nutritional value carry a much higher risk of causing parasitic disease.I am not saying crix are a bad feeder what I am saying is that there are pros and cons to both and neither is wrong providing the rules for each are followed.I am sure this woman really thought thats what caused this but I highly doubt it like I said it was most likely a case of feeding the wrong ratio of foods.

x2

atreyu917

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She did say he was a little overweight, and she atributed it to the supers...but who knows I guess he could have had a thyroid problem as well. I just would hate to lose my Dave after 5 years.

Barbara- I don't think I would mind using roaches...parents on the other hand not so much. As terrified as I am of roaches, I think I could get past it for my beardies :) I am concerned about escapees though. I did read several ways to keep them in their bins, but in the case 2 escaped and multiplyed I would be so pissed. So who knows, maybe I will convert one day. I would love to know where I could buy a couple individuals, but I only know places to order in bulk....and I think I want to introduce myself to them slowly. haha.

I guess I'll get them crickets as treats like i do with the waxworms and the rarely given mealworms....

I just want to do everything right...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom