corn snake/beardie question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Corns are good snakes too but I find them a little more wiggly than a ball python (pythons are lazy butts). They're probably as ruthless as a hungry beardie scoping out some crickets. You can always switch the snake to F/T mice if that part freaks your boyfriend out (if the snake isn't already on F/T). It is healthier for them to eat the frozen/thawed mice since live mice can bite your snake and if left alone, kill it. If you feed live, never leave him alone with his food. A professor of mine lost a snake that way since the mouse killed and ate a chilly snake.

corinthian

Original Poster
thanks for the advice fuzzyviper but that won't be a problem.. i live in the u.k and its actually illegal here to feed live rodents to snakes.. pet shops have even been known to ask for i.d n take a note of your details when buying live mice so that they can refuse service if you're a repeat rodent customer and they suspect you are using them for food rather than keeping as pets... any live food would need to bred and i'm in no way up for that!! :shock:

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Yeah, mice are horrifically smelly and breeding mice isn't really necessary for a single snake. I feel bad for the mice that Aleks kills but he just has such a hard time eating the frozen/thawed. I would throw out 1-2 mice for every mouse he ate so he was basically causing the deaths of twice as many mice. I tell myself that the mouse only feels brief pain when he bites it then it quickly passes out so it doesn't have to suffer. Mouse traps and poison are far worse ways to go than a quick snake "hug." Oh, make sure to never microwave the mice. I haven't tried it personally (THANKFULLY) but they well, they explode. The best is either taking the plastic bag with the mouse (I'm assuming they sell the little single mouse bags that look like a frozen meal for people.) and floating it in hot water. You can also just put the mouse itself in there but I've found that wet F/T mice get very floppy and gross quickly.

corinthian

Original Poster
Fuzzyviper":2iseroyl said:
Oh, make sure to never microwave the mice. I haven't tried it personally (THANKFULLY) but they well, they explode.

eeew! glad i dont have a microwave or that just readin that would probably usin it! i've also has a very strong warning not to put them in a pan of boiling water either... i'm guessing the same happens! :puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom