Constant energy - digging, running around, etc

itsTigereye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunny
Some background. When we first got Sunny, she had paper towels as her substrate and loved to rip them up (dig) in her hide. As she grew she stopped both digging and using her hide almost entirely, preferring to sleep on top or on her hammock. Recently, I purchased a new substrate for her - I didn't think it was fair to keep her on paper towels forever. Considering how much she'd liked to dig, and how natural the behavior is, I settled on a loose substrate (ZooMed ReptiChips) and put it in on 06/18/2022. After spending the first day getting used to it, Sunny went absolutely crazy, digging in both her hides she hadn't touched in a long time. Fast forward to the past week, she's digging everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Random holes all over her tank, underneath her bridge, next to her hides, in her hides - she's going crazy. She does it all day, too, except for when she stops to bask on her hammock. Before this, she would be constantly running around her tank and climbing everything she could (including the walls). Now, she does both. I've read everywhere that glass surfing, relentless digging, etc are all due to something wrong in her tank, but to my knowledge, my husbandry is completely fine. She loves to be taken out to explore, but every time I do on my computer (next to her tank), she'll just run back to her tank and surf until I let her in, so she's clearly enjoying it in there. It basically boils down to me wanting to make sure she's okay. It seems like she's just got endless energy and is having the time of her life, but I want to make sure it's nothing worse.

Pooping is normal. She's fussy with her food but that's always been the case since she's spoilt. :rolleyes: Considered that maybe she's gravid, but can't feel anything (and she's been restless for a long, long time without the digging anyway). Temps are ~95-100, ~80-85, ~75 (using a temp gun). Enclosure is 48"W x 24"D x 24"H. She has a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 mounted inside her tank. Is she just enjoying her new activity and expelling energy?

1656792890265.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Some background. When we first got Sunny, she had paper towels as her substrate and loved to rip them up (dig) in her hide. As she grew she stopped both digging and using her hide almost entirely, preferring to sleep on top or on her hammock. Recently, I purchased a new substrate for her - I didn't think it was fair to keep her on paper towels forever. Considering how much she'd liked to dig, and how natural the behavior is, I settled on a loose substrate (ZooMed ReptiChips) and put it in on 06/18/2022. After spending the first day getting used to it, Sunny went absolutely crazy, digging in both her hides she hadn't touched in a long time. Fast forward to the past week, she's digging everywhere, and I mean everywhere. Random holes all over her tank, underneath her bridge, next to her hides, in her hides - she's going crazy. She does it all day, too, except for when she stops to bask on her hammock. Before this, she would be constantly running around her tank and climbing everything she could (including the walls). Now, she does both. I've read everywhere that glass surfing, relentless digging, etc are all due to something wrong in her tank, but to my knowledge, my husbandry is completely fine. She loves to be taken out to explore, but every time I do on my computer (next to her tank), she'll just run back to her tank and surf until I let her in, so she's clearly enjoying it in there. It basically boils down to me wanting to make sure she's okay. It seems like she's just got endless energy and is having the time of her life, but I want to make sure it's nothing worse.

Pooping is normal. She's fussy with her food but that's always been the case since she's spoilt. :rolleyes: Considered that maybe she's gravid, but can't feel anything (and she's been restless for a long, long time without the digging anyway). Temps are ~95-100, ~80-85, ~75 (using a temp gun). Enclosure is 48"W x 24"D x 24"H. She has a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 mounted inside her tank. Is she just enjoying her new activity and expelling energy?

View attachment 71570
Sounds like shes gravid

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
OMG I will not be ready for this. As much as I read about this, I see myself freaking out. Please keep me posted.
Honestly, this is why I wanted a male (shhhh don't tell Rocky) but I wouldn't exchange her for the world.
I still have time but just looking at the picture, I feel helpless. I'm making mental notes like, "If the tail is hidden...." Ugh- I can't- I can't.
Lovely enclosure and beardie.

itsTigereye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunny
Sounds like shes gravid
I don’t believe she is though, because I can’t feel any eggs or anything of the sort. I also think she’s too young, but I may be wrong. Unfortunately we have to remove the substrate from her tank because she is ingesting too much of it while she digs and recently had a small impaction from it and after giving her olive oil and squash she pooped out a lot of chips. I’m not quite sure what to do because she loves digging but it’s too much of an impaction risk. She’s also always active, it’s not a sudden thing, only the digging is because she was given something to dig in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don’t believe she is though, because I can’t feel any eggs or anything of the sort. I also think she’s too young, but I may be wrong. Unfortunately we have to remove the substrate from her tank because she is ingesting too much of it while she digs and recently had a small impaction from it and after giving her olive oil and squash she pooped out a lot of chips. I’m not quite sure what to do because she loves digging but it’s too much of an impaction risk. She’s also always active, it’s not a sudden thing, only the digging is because she was given something to dig in.
See what she does w/ out it- some textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at Walmart or your local home improvement store-

itsTigereye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunny
See what she does w/ out it- some textured NON adhesive shelf liner found at Walmart or your local home improvement store-
Sorry for the late update - Sunny is currently laying! My boyfriend and I went ahead and made her a lay/dig box just incase she was gravid since she was showing all the signs (constant digging, lack of appetite, etc). All seems to be going smoothly now- fingers crossed. She wasn’t very interested in the box after the first time we put her in it until today!

Are there any specific things I should give her after she’s done? I have my calcium powders (one with and one without D3) that I will dust her bugs and greens with, but am willing to get anything else she might need!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry for the late update - Sunny is currently laying! My boyfriend and I went ahead and made her a lay/dig box just incase she was gravid since she was showing all the signs (constant digging, lack of appetite, etc). All seems to be going smoothly now- fingers crossed. She wasn’t very interested in the box after the first time we put her in it until today!

Are there any specific things I should give her after she’s done? I have my calcium powders (one with and one without D3) that I will dust her bugs and greens with, but am willing to get anything else she might need!
I am not familiar w/ the egg laying thing but we can ask some one who is I will your post to her
@AHBD

Btrfly1179

Hi! My beardie lays 4-5 times a year for past 3 years and I still do not have all the knowledge! I know that never once have I felt the eggs tho. I think since they are not fertilized they don't hold shape inside or out. Roxy is VERY VERY finiky when she lays and will not lay in the same sand twice. After she finally does lay, I give her a nice, long warm bath (because 28 eggs, ouch!) and hornworms (dusted) if I can, because they have a little more calcium than other bugs in my area and they offer good hydration. I have read calcium and hydrating are the most important things after they lay. The eggs take A LOT of calcium from them. After that she usually just wants to bask for a day or 2 before coming out and exploring again. I'm glad you got yours in a lay box when you did tho. I was about to reply that every single thing you were saying sounds like Roxy right before she lays. Hope Sunny is doing good now 🙂

Btrfly1179

Oh also, I wouldn't keep a digging substrate in her tank. I have had a lot of bad experiences with it. Including an emergency vet trip for getting the stuff stuck in her eye. Roxy just gets terrarium carpet in her tank and sand to dig in when she is about to lay. She only digs when she is nesting. Just an added thought. 🙂

itsTigereye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunny
Hi! My beardie lays 4-5 times a year for past 3 years and I still do not have all the knowledge! I know that never once have I felt the eggs tho. I think since they are not fertilized they don't hold shape inside or out. Roxy is VERY VERY finiky when she lays and will not lay in the same sand twice. After she finally does lay, I give her a nice, long warm bath (because 28 eggs, ouch!) and hornworms (dusted) if I can, because they have a little more calcium than other bugs in my area and they offer good hydration. I have read calcium and hydrating are the most important things after they lay. The eggs take A LOT of calcium from them. After that she usually just wants to bask for a day or 2 before coming out and exploring again. I'm glad you got yours in a lay box when you did tho. I was about to reply that every single thing you were saying sounds like Roxy right before she lays. Hope Sunny is doing good now 🙂
She laid a total of 23 eggs and was willing to eat as soon as she was done so I gave her dusted roaches until she decided she was full! After letting her rest I also gave her a bath. She ended up laying another egg while basking which isn’t too surprising considering what I’ve read. Seems to be super alert which was very reassuring! Horn worms are a very good idea so I’ll definitely grab some of those.

In regards to the dig box I’m definitely going to remove it, I just didn’t want to remove it too soon. Is she definitely all done now (minus the chance of a stray egg or two)?

itsTigereye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunny
OMG I will not be ready for this. As much as I read about this, I see myself freaking out. Please keep me posted.
Honestly, this is why I wanted a male (shhhh don't tell Rocky) but I wouldn't exchange her for the world.
I still have time but just looking at the picture, I feel helpless. I'm making mental notes like, "If the tail is hidden...." Ugh- I can't- I can't.
Lovely enclosure and beardie.
Posted a few updates above! She was gravid and all went smoothly. She completely ignored her dig box until yesterday (I kept putting her in it when she was digging around the tank even though she showed no interest), where she started digging and then began laying. She didn’t dig very deep but seemed content enough lol (First photo is just her digging since I was glad to see her use it 😂). I never did feel any eggs so it was all the other signs (relentless digging, lack of appetite, etc) that made me alert.

Attachments

• FB2C0148-C786-4F6A-B184-9424291E5DF5.jpeg
    FB2C0148-C786-4F6A-B184-9424291E5DF5.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 81
  • EE3CF174-BCAE-4AD6-A9F1-BB6EDA7B541A.jpeg
    EE3CF174-BCAE-4AD6-A9F1-BB6EDA7B541A.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 79
  • B3E51F68-BAEE-498C-9029-07CCCC0E88A2.jpeg
    B3E51F68-BAEE-498C-9029-07CCCC0E88A2.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 89

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She is a very pretty dragon. I'm glad all went well. I have been told and have seen in videos to give them a small pinky mouse after laying but I'm skeptical. They say it gives them a boost after laying but again I'm no expert or vet, so take it with a grain of salt.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Posted a few updates above! She was gravid and all went smoothly. She completely ignored her dig box until yesterday (I kept putting her in it when she was digging around the tank even though she showed no interest), where she started digging and then began laying. She didn’t dig very deep but seemed content enough lol (First photo is just her digging since I was glad to see her use it 😂). I never did feel any eggs so it was all the other signs (relentless digging, lack of appetite, etc) that made me alert.
Thank you for the update. I am glad she is doing soooooooooooo much better!!! Awww. While I am still not ready, I know to revisit this point. There was an extra egg when basking- omg. I learn so much every day!!
Then I read about the pinky mouse....nope I can't do it...she'll eat the whole container of dubias if she wants, lol. I never gave Rocky horn worms so I may hold off until this special time. I tried BFLS? the larvae...no luck...Rocky ate 3 yesterday and 3 today. Hmmm....I wish I had bee pollen.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hornworms are great treats but be careful beardies will start refusing everything else with a quickness if they get them very often.

itsTigereye

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sunny
I’ve got one last question since nothing seems completely clear about it, how soon could she lay more eggs? Is it safe to remove her lay box now? I’ve seen some posts saying 2-3 clutches a year during “the season” but I’m not completely sure when the season starts and ends or if that’s just for fertile eggs. I’m assuming I can just remove the box and she’ll eventually just show the signs again if she’s going to lay again?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom